Avionics Upgrade Opinions

Alright, a month after bringing all this up to the upper counsel she's gone into the shop.  You guys get to spend someone else's money.    I'll get the required spaghetti looking photo for you guys in a couple of days or so.  Somehow we started with GTN650, JPI700 to 730 upgrade, PS audio, and GTX 345.  Now we are doing JPI900, GTN750, Garmin remote audio, GTX345, keeping the 430W(got talked into this by one of you guys, the avionics guy, and my buddy who was flying me back while on the ramp!!), and a DAC GPSS steering module.  How did this happen exactly? A lot of fun thinking all of this through. Thanks for all of the advice and encouragement.

Official before pic attached.

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, INA201 said:

After it's all done I will be happy to share the costs of the whole project broken down.  

4 hours ago, INA201 said:

Alright, a month after bringing all this up to the upper counsel she's gone into the shop.  You guys get to spend someone else's money.    I'll get the required spaghetti looking photo for you guys in a couple of days or so.  Somehow we started with GTN650, JPI700 to 730 upgrade, PS audio, and GTX 345.  Now we are doing JPI900, GTN750, Garmin remote audio, GTX345, keeping the 430W(got talked into this by one of you guys, the avionics guy, and my buddy who was flying me back while on the ramp!!), and a DAC GPSS steering module.  How did this happen exactly? A lot of fun thinking all of this through. Thanks for all of the advice and encouragement.

Official before pic attached.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I'll tell you how this happens. You look in the mirror, decide a tuck here or there is warranted and the next thing you know, you had a full face lift, hair transplant and silicone implants done on your sagging butt. 

Sounds like a nice upgrade.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Marauder said:

I'll tell you how this happens. You look in the mirror, decide a tuck here or there is warranted and the next thing you know, you had a full face lift, hair transplant and silicone implants done on your sagging butt. 

Please . .  no pictures!!

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:09 AM, Marauder said:

A couple of things to consider as you go through this. I would seriously consider installing a new audio panel. The KMA 24 is ancient technology and the newer audio panels are much more capable (3D audio, real com monitoring, bluetooth capability, built in intercom, etc.). The audio panel is the cornerstone of the avionics stack. 

I would also keep in mind your future state (trust me, there will be a future state once the upgrade fever gets into your bloodstream). If you plan on upgrading the second com (like another GTN or perhaps a GNC 255), the form factor may be different and cutting a new center panel should wait. You don't want to pay for two center panel cuts.

You didn't mention yoke switches, but now would be the time to install those. There are a ton of options ranging from com freq flip flops, ident, Stormscope clear and others. Have the installer provide you a complete list of the options. The standard Mooney yokes can handle 3 microswitches but you can get the yoke extender and add more.

As for the color selection. I would have the shop show you the color palette. You may find a complementary color to your interior. If you are planning on doing the interior or repainting the plane, staying with a neutral color would be advisable. One thing you should keep in mind is your center console is black and need to find something that would complement it. I looked over the entire color palette and found staying with a powdercoated black was the most appealing for me. Why? Maybe it is OCD, but looking at Paul and Bob's panels, those black screws would drive me nuts on a lighter colored panel. I think I saw Don Kaye's panel picture and I believe his screws were colored coded. Something a shop would need to be willing to take on. Also talk to the shop about your required placards (will they reuse the black ones or print new ones) and the way they plan on doing the labeling. That is the one disappointment I have with my panel (but I am working on a solution).

Hope this helps.

IMG_0809.thumb.JPG.97767a891c6195c70ecf137fac7218d9.JPG

IMG_0548.thumb.JPG.e12760a0e446af8b6d5582024873505d.JPG

Maurader....please give me some advise....I am out of Easton, MD with a Mooney M20J am thinking of getting the L3 and the 650....how are they working out for you, and who and how much put yours in?

Maurader....please give me some advise....I am out of Easton, MD with a Mooney M20J am thinking of getting the L3 and the 650....how are they working out for you, and who and how much put yours in?

Larry - I will PM you some information. I really like both units. Adds a whole new dimension to my flying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Definitely surgery. A lot of stuff crammed in this plane over the last 40 years.  Wires with connectors hooked to nothing, old adf cable, loran stuff, mystery cable running to the back, and my cigarette lighter was tied into my RPM, ammeter, and JPI700.  I'm kinda wondering how my UL is 980.  Kinda nervous about putting it on a scale.

IMG_4399.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I'm going to need to replace both antennae on the Mooney.  Does anyone know the correct replacement shark fin, not reverse 7 that will fit into the offset mounting holes as a direct fit replacement? Looks like the Comant CI196 matches the hole and mounting configuration but wanted to confirm this if possible. Thanks

IMG_4498.JPG

IMG_4499.JPG

1 hour ago, INA201 said:

Looks like I'm going to need to replace both antennae on the Mooney.  Does anyone know the correct replacement shark fin, not reverse 7 that will fit into the offset mounting holes as a direct fit replacement? Looks like the Comant CI196 matches the hole and mounting configuration but wanted to confirm this if possible. Thanks

IMG_4498.JPG

IMG_4499.JPG

I am going through the exact process. Byron is right, the CI-196 is the direct replacement. Unfortunately in addition to being expensive, they are on backorder. I called a number of online retailers and none had it in stock and even my avionics shop was unable to locate one. I finally have a backorder with Chief Aircraft. Price is around $580.

• 3 months later...

Getting closer to the upgrade being finished up and looking for some opinions. We are now going with 750/650/JPI 900/GPSS/remote audio.   Should I add the flightstream 510 to the 750. I'm currently using foreflight but was just curious if I should do another "while we are at it."  Its getting expensive but heck its only another 2.5%. I don't wanna regret not doing it right.

Thanks

Scott

Yes, get Flight Stream. I added it to the Ovation's suite of G500 GTN750 GTN650 796 etc.

FS and iPad became the main data entry and editing platform--SO much easier than 750.  

Typical IFR planning became:

1.  File via ForeFlight 

2.  ATC "expected route" is received on iPad. 

3.  Export that plan from iPad to panel with one button push. 

4.  Review, accept on 750.

5.  It's loaded into all screens.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the input from you guys. Got her back a few weeks ago.  Only thing left is a couple of placards to have printed up. Here are the before and after pics.

F657F357-A717-4148-BAC7-5134C31C4216.jpeg

8B81F213-1984-46F8-ABD9-C337329EF0C1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1