Avidyne IFD 540/440-Garmin 500 software bug

12 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Can we safely assume if you had 6 failures behind a BK AI you would have problems trusting one?

One failure of anything would make me have an issue with trust! I don't need six! 

But I've had zero failures in 9 years. 

In less time than that my hangar mate has had two failures of his Aspen. One of them out of warranty during his trip back from Florida.

59 minutes ago, PTK said:

In nine years of ownership I have had "zero" failures of my KI256 or entire KFC150 for that matter. Most recently I had Autopilots Central go over my KS177 pitch servo: 665$.

In the KCS55A I had one sensor replaced in the HSI, 325$. 

Grand total in nine years ownership: 990$

Not to be combative, but why are you so anxious for BK to FINALLY (yea right) release the KI300 vaporware then? Stay in the 80's with your analog mechanical stuff if it makes you happy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Not to be combative, but why are you so anxious for BK to FINALLY (yea right) release the KI300 vaporware then? Stay in the 80's with your analog mechanical stuff if it makes you happy.

Because it would be the only ADI that replaces the KI256. The latest info I have from my avionics shop is that they are still working on it. Sarasota has it Q3 of this year.

And you are being combative!:angry: 

Relax take a chill pill! Don't be like Chris Aspen!

15 hours ago, OliverBucher said:

Hello,

climb rate with a Discus2b (15m Standard class) 400ft/min

Problem is at our Airfield that it is 2.250ft high and we have only 1.800ft runway lenth (60% conrete 40% gras) => Therefore no double seater like DuoDiscus, Arcus ...

It is my private plane. In my flying club we have a Robin DR400-180. With this plane it is no problem to tow double seater (also with water in the wings).

I am located at gliderfield Hornberg near Stuttgart (EDDS).  

I will put that on bucket list..owned a Ventus B for years flown out of Minden Nevada at 4000 Msl..Pawnee handled tow operations well in worst weather conditions with all the glider pilots trying to set wave records when smokin pacific storms come whipping in out of the west..tw

17 hours ago, OliverBucher said:

I am located at gliderfield Hornberg near Stuttgart (EDDS).  

Interesting   I learned to fly at Ludwigsburg AAF, which was EDIR but is now Pattonville Airport, EDTQ.   We would occasionally visit some of the local glider fields, like Malmsheim, but I don't remember Hornberg and couldn't find it on my old sectional (from 1976). ;)

7 minutes ago, Marauder said:

They do, he will never acknowledge that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Surely though Aspen and others do this.  They give more functionality than a KI256 as well which surely is just a bonus. 

No they don't! But if you guys feel the KI300 is same as an Aspen who am I to argue!

14 hours ago, PTK said:

Because it would be the only ADI that replaces the KI256. The latest info I have from my avionics shop is that they are still working on it. Sarasota has it Q3 of this year.

And you are being combative!:angry: 

Relax take a chill pill! Don't be like Chris Aspen!

But Peter, yours is THE ki256 that is reliable! why even consider replacing it with vaporware of unknown reliability?  I really cant wrap my mind around your thought process Peter. You are ready to abandon what you evangelize as one of the greatest things ever made prior to Garmin's incorporation for something that clearly hasn't been able to meet muster with the approval process or have any track record of reliability. Its your plane and your life, and far be it for me to question your decisions, but they truly befuddle me when you don't have a G5 yet for backup or a g500 setup which should and will put you in avionics nirvana for years to come.  And here is a shout out to Garmin for once again donating a G2 watch to the Mooney Summit and a couple of subs for Garmin Pilot! Thanks Garmin! Now lets see if Avidyne comes thru with their SNF commitment to support us! #avisimpson, got your ears on? I have emailed John on Monday

42 minutes ago, PTK said:

No they don't! But if you guys feel the KI300 is same as an Aspen who am I to argue!

It isn't the same, Peter,  no where near the feature set, besides, you forget It doesn't exist, it is just a glimmer in BK's eye to stay engaged in GA and keep their analog AP's in the game. Technology moves so fast, when it was thought of, it was already obsolete. Perhaps this adds to the reasons why it doesn't exist. Now if the L3 ESI 500 were to "dumb down" and have a Digital to analog converter to talk to the 1980's BK autopilots....that would solve the ap interface issue until the Truetrac is available. Garmin and Aspen have these "dumb down" converters available for their equipment.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EricJ said:

Interesting   I learned to fly at Ludwigsburg AAF, which was EDIR but is now Pattonville Airport, EDTQ.   We would occasionally visit some of the local glider fields, like Malmsheim, but I don't remember Hornberg and couldn't find it on my old sectional (from 1976). ;)

Gliderfield Hornberg is a old Gliderfield (oldest in south Germany) wich is established 1933 as a flight school :-)

Attached a picture where you can see the location  :-)

IMG_5538.PNG

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, thinwing said:

Am I reading those magenta airspace rings correctly?Class C 3500-5500 class D 5500-fl 100?

Correct - but it is easy to cross with ATC clearance.

For Gliders are special Aereas (Segelflug-Sectoren) with individual upper limits, when the weather is good. The upper limits for gliders is provided by EDDS ATIS. 

Went to airport to test fly after software downgrade.....aircraft is now officially RON....all garmin systems no longer recognize each other...here's the list of failures after tech loaded 6.21 to g500....well this has been fun guys don't know what to say but I am close to being done

IMG_2973.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

IMG_2975.JPG

On 6/10/2017 at 11:29 PM, thinwing said:

Went to airport to test fly after software downgrade.....aircraft is now officially RON....all garmin systems no longer recognize each other...here's the list of failures after tech loaded 6.21 to g500....well this has been fun guys don't know what to say but I am close to being done

Any progress with the Avidyne fiasco thinwing?

Tech put g500 software back to 7.00/7.12 in order to restore all lost functions as shown above..so I am back to redx on ground...but at least have airborne function of a/p...I've got a trip to fly this weekend ...Avidyne is making sympathetic noises but as far as I know has not come up with working solution...they have offered to cover my shops diagnostics expended so far...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, thinwing said:

Tech put g500 software back to 7.00/7.12 in order to restore all lost functions as shown above..so I am back to redx on ground...but at least have airborne function of a/p...I've got a trip to fly this weekend ...Avidyne is making sympathetic noises but as far as I know has not come up with working solution...they have offered to cover my shops diagnostics expended so far...

As much testing as a company can do, early adopters always find the bugs in real life use. Early adopters of the G600 and G500 found bugs that Garmin hadn't found, as did Aspen early adopters. The Garmin 796 is still the best stand alone portable, but ones who bought them first had heat and other issues. In the past three years they have added some great features and it was all worth it. Sorry you're experiencing a few teething pains with the Avidynes, but it's not fleet wide, just getting Avidyne's new software and Garmin's new software to mesh. All in all they have some great features and tremendous potential for more with their architecture. It's great that they are working with you on your shop's diagnostic time.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, thinwing said:

They have not come up with a working solution because they are scratching their heads. Reverse engineering is a game keep up. Avidyne has to catch up before they can keep up. It's an uphill struggle for them. But even if they did catch up how are you going to trust them that they can keep up with the next G upgrade? This is not teething pains. This is effectively Avidyne crippling your panel and holding you hostage. Consider what this does to the value of your beautiful airplane! Having paid all this money you want to enhance its value, not detract from it. Sympathetic noises are cheap and covering the shop's expenses is the least they could do. Hopefully you can work it out to return their boxes and put in the GTNs.

Avidyne deserves credit for trying but clearly is not ready or capable to go beyond replacing the GNSs in lower end panels. They should develop an intergrated solution of their own.

2 hours ago, PTK said:

They have not come up with a working solution because they are scratching their heads. Reverse engineering is a game keep up. Avidyne has to catch up before they can keep up. It's an uphill struggle for them. But even if they did catch up how are you going to trust them that they can keep up with the next G upgrade? This is not teething pains. This is effectively Avidyne crippling your panel and holding you hostage. Consider what this does to the value of your beautiful airplane! Having paid all this money you want to enhance its value, not detract from it. Sympathetic noises are cheap and covering the shop's expenses is the least they could do. Hopefully you can work it out to return their boxes and put in the GTNs.

Avidyne deserves credit for trying but clearly is not ready or capable to go beyond replacing the GNSs in lower end panels. They should develop an intergrated solution of their own.

If that's the case then Garmin should stop making transponders.         https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=139436

But a reasonable person knows they will get it all sorted out.

• Like 1

If that's the case then Garmin should stop making transponders.         https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=139436

You're such a rebel rouser!

What I'm interested to know is how these 345 units do their AHRS alignment. The Aspen and ESI-500 both do an attitude alignment during their startups. The ESI's is done visually and you can see the progress bar during the calibration process.

I wonder if the 345's issue is related to how long and any motion the plane is subject to during the calibration process. Since it is an advisory function, it may not have the same rigor done as a certified AHRS derived AI. The ESI pilot's guide indicates that the calibration may take 3 minutes and may fail if it can't achieve calibration.

9c550e8474bf75aa599e613acfd2ed5b.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

A miscalibration by the installer and an advisory AI on an ipad does not ground the airplane. A GPS/NAV/Comm incompatible with the state of the art pfd/mfd has.

But a reasonable person understands the difference.

Care to try again?! :D