Oshkosh camping with a camper

I was looking for some advice on camping at Oshkosh in a camper.  Would love to fly in, but bringing the family and the little one is still too young to brave the heat in a tent.   So I have rented a tow behind camper (with air conditioning) and will spend three glorious days at Camp Scholler.  This will be my first time driving in... have flown in a couple times in the past.  So I'm at a state where I don't know what I don't know... open to any and all words of wisdom from those who have camped in a camper or RV at Oshkosh before.

first, get there early, spaces fill up quickly and you will end up way out there. people will go out as soon as the camping area opens and stake out their spot even if the will not arrive for a few more weeks. (BTW you pay for the spot from the time you claim it).

secondly, have some transportation such as scooters or bikes to get around the camp grounds and to the airfield. it can be a long walk from the camp site and the shuttles will get full at peak times.

third, Make new friends and have a great time.

Brian

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, orionflt said:

first, get there early, spaces fill up quickly and you will end up way out there. people will go out as soon as the camping area opens and stake out their spot even if the will not arrive for a few more weeks. (BTW you pay for the spot from the time you claim it).

secondly, have some transportation such as scooters or bikes to get around the camp grounds and to the airfield. it can be a long walk from the camp site and the shuttles will get full at peak times.

third, Make new friends and have a great time.

Brian

Thanks for the info Brian.  We are arriving on Friday, so I guess it could go either way on how full it will be towards the end of the show.. but I'm guessing it will be very full.  Which brings up a good point in number two.  Will throw the bicycles in the truck to make the trek to the airfield a little easier.

24 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

We drove in and camped in tent in Camp Scholler in 1983, which was the first year we went to Oshkosh. I can't offer much advice except that even then we over packed with non perishable groceries, as everything we could have possibly needed non perishable grocery wise was readily available there. The fly-in camping culture is one of my favorite experiences because you get to enjoy airplane sights and sounds at the same time. You don't quite get as much of this at Camp Scholler so I will have to call doing it this way a darn close second.  Have fun!

Yep, would much prefer to fly... but our current plan guarantees a unique adventure as well.   Good point on the food.  I was thinking of buying/renting a Yeti cooler to keep the perishable items in.  Just 3 days worth of food, so shouldn't take up too much space.

1 hour ago, jasona900 said:

Thanks for the info Brian.  We are arriving on Friday, so I guess it could go either way on how full it will be towards the end of the show.. but I'm guessing it will be very full.  Which brings up a good point in number two.  Will throw the bicycles in the truck to make the trek to the airfield a little easier.

If you are going towards the end of the show, a lot of people depart by mid to late week.  I would scope the parking area pretty good before setting up camp as you may find a decent spot a lot closer than if you were showing up 2-3 days before the show starts up until about mid-week.  Bicycles are a great idea, but bring locks so you can secure at the bicycle lot (shouldn't be a problem at your campsite).  Not that there is a lot of problems, but it would ruin your trip to lose your bikes while you are there.

If you are sure about the days you will enter the show grounds, buy the wrist bands while getting your camp site pass.  Otherwise (IIRC) you will be walking from the bicycle lot to the main gate (on the outside of the secure area).  With kids, that would work easier for you.

14 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

If you are going towards the end of the show, a lot of people depart by mid to late week.  I would scope the parking area pretty good before setting up camp as you may find a decent spot a lot closer than if you were showing up 2-3 days before the show starts up until about mid-week.  Bicycles are a great idea, but bring locks so you can secure at the bicycle lot (shouldn't be a problem at your campsite).  Not that there is a lot of problems, but it would ruin your trip to lose your bikes while you are there.

If you are sure about the days you will enter the show grounds, buy the wrist bands while getting your camp site pass.  Otherwise (IIRC) you will be walking from the bicycle lot to the main gate (on the outside of the secure area).  With kids, that would work easier for you.

That's good to hear... and I was somewhat expecting it to thin out towards the end of the show.

And already purchased our camping and show tickets online. 

In addition to the other good advice above:

• Stay upwind of the porta-potties
  • Be mindful of the ultra-llight emergency strip; you shouldn't drive on it and definitely don't set up there.
  • If you are south of Elm, the ultralight parade every evening is fun to watch.
  • if there is rain forecast, look for higher ground and look at the road into and out of your row.
  • If it won't be really hot, stay away from the 24 hour generator section: noisy and stinky. 
  • Definitely look for a spot in the 40's.  Those do empty out some.  The really close in stuff will be full till Sunday.

This will be my 10th year in a Diesel Pusher at OSH.

I did do the caravan in 1999 and had a ball, but an all-week stay really is easier in an RV. Especially with little ones...

-de

• Like 4

2 hours ago, exM20K said:

In addition to the other good advice above:

• Stay upwind of the porta-potties
  • Be mindful of the ultra-llight emergency strip; you shouldn't drive on it and definitely don't set up there.
  • If you are south of Elm, the ultralight parade every evening is fun to watch.
  • if there is rain forecast, look for higher ground and look at the road into and out of your row.
  • If it won't be really hot, stay away from the 24 hour generator section: noisy and stinky. 
  • Definitely look for a spot in the 40's.  Those do empty out some.  The really close in stuff will be full till Sunday.

This will be my 10th year in a Diesel Pusher at OSH.

I did do the caravan in 1999 and had a ball, but an all-week stay really is easier in an RV. Especially with little ones...

-de

This is great stuff.  Thank you for sharing.  We will likely be one of those folks in the generator section... but I'll keep an eye on the forecasted evening temps and avoid if able.  

Get one of those back packs to carry the kid around in...

My kids travelled every where on my back until their legs were strong enough to cover some miles.

We were into flying and hiking.

The backpack is good for putting the weight on your waist...  carrying them on your shoulders is only good for a short distance. Especially as they grow in weight...

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Get one of those back packs to carry the kid around in...

My kids travelled every where on my back until their legs were strong enough to cover some miles.

We were into flying and hiking.

The backpack is good for putting the weight on your waist...  carrying them on your shoulders is only good for a short distance. Especially as they grow in weight...

Best regards,

-a-

Got one of those already, and also one of those reverse backpack things (couldn't tell you what it's actually called) to carry her on the front.  It's mandatory equipment wherever we go. 

• Like 1