Picture requested for under wing OAT probe location

Stephen

Installed JPI EDM 900 in my 1969 F model. The JPI supplied OAT probe is using the old,  through-windshield mounting location,  but is reading crazy numbers (i.e. starts +/- 1 degree of field temp and on switching on master slowly climbs into ridiculously high levels ...like field temp + 60-80 degrees). This behavior is both pre and post-engine start. In flight yesterday it read 154 deg F at 4500'. JPI support says this has to be pinout/grounding/interference based and cannot be a probe malfunction. My installers have checked pinout grounding and say they did it right... interference is a "go fish" issue. So, my solution is to order a new temp probe and cable and re-install it to the (preferable) under-wing location, which changes out most of the variables in the equation. I have been hitting google and MS and am finding discussions, but no pictures of an under-wing OAT location.

ASK:  Could I get a pic of anyone who has an OEM underwing installation. : )

Thanks,

Stephen

The factory location in my '78 J is on the bottom of the copilot side wing on the middle of the inboard most "small" oval inspection panel.  Just outboard of the main gear and fuel tank. Sorry, I don't have a picture. 

This is the correct location.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

This is the correct location.

So as pictured by guitarmaster above except actually mounted in the oval panel itself correct?

Definitely mounted in the inspection panel. I think the panel is further act in the wing, though. I don't have my maintenance manual handy at work with a location in a pic. I don't think it is critical as long as it is on the bottom of the wing and out of direct sunlight, away from exhaust, etc. Outboard of the gear is the J factory location, and I have one under each wing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

That is the lazy installer (or cheap owner) option...those locations are subject to direct sunlight and radiated engine heat.

I would suppose it makes less drag and possibly less prone to icing (if the vent is closed) while giving a pretty good reading. Mine always reads within a degree of AWOS.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 201er said:

I would suppose it makes less drag and possibly less prone to icing (if the vent is closed) while giving a pretty good reading. Mine always reads within a degree of AWOS.

Could be an interesting location if it gets clean airflow. 

Out of sunlight, and away from engine and exhaust heat...

The windshield was OK for the analog gauge, but won't have the proper shared grounding for a display mounted in the instrument panel.

The factory has been installing it under the passenger side wing since the  '90s...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1