SE Mooney Fly-In: TN Museum of Aviation

Jeff_S

Yes, we had a great fly-in yesterday and I want to thank everyone for coming. I lost count at 17 Mooneys that showed up...we had to spread to the main FBO ramp and even sprinkle some around the grass in the hangar areas. And we got a count of 41 people from the Museum, so they definitely appreciated the business. (We even had a Bonanza show up as part of the group...I guess they know who the true party people are!)

Photos are up on the Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=161723733722&aid=280129

Somehow with trying to keep everything organized I forgot one of my main missions for the day, which was to ferret out the true identity of Squirrel. But it occurred to me that one conversation I had might have been the clue: was that you I talked to over by the Trade-a-Plane exhibit in the museum?

What fun it was, too, as people started to disperse and fire up the engines. Seeing one Mooney after another take off right over our heads into a clear blue sky was exhilarating...I could imagine what it would have been like at a WWII air base watching squadrons take off on a mission (probably louder, though!).

Anyway, thanks again to all who joined in, and don't forget our next scheduled event as a Mooney Ambassador group at the Vidalia Onion Festival.  I'll probably throw in a more casual lunch get-together in the interim, so stay tuned.

Jeff

post-407-13468139358746_thumb.jpg

There were also at least two RVs attending.  Very nice museum, my wife enjoyed it.  We made a number of new acquaintances. I thought the food (pizza) worked good in that it all arrived at the same time.  A buddy and I did a SE gathering here in Hickory, NC in about 2007 (see folder in my Photo Gallery).  The planned  program was on ADS-B by NC-DOT.  It including demo flights in equiped aircraft for all who cared to fly.  The only problem was that we had about fifty hungry people ordering a la carte from the small Airport restaurant.  The food came out at different times and this food process took way to long.  A lesson learned.

Quote: Jeff_S

Somehow with trying to keep everything organized I forgot one of my main missions for the day, which was to ferret out the true identity of Squirrel. But it occurred to me that one conversation I had might have been the clue: was that you I talked to over by the Trade-a-Plane exhibit in the museum?

Thanks again to the event organizers! GKT is a very nice airport, the museum is very new with great displays and a very friendly staff and airport dog. The fuel truck came by as I was arriving and promptly serviced fueled those requesting a discounted top-off.

Well thought out and organized. From my point of view, it was a smashing success!

Great Mooney Fly-In!  I hope we can all meet again sometime soon.  I guess the next event will be the Vidalia Onion Festival Airshow at the end of April.  Thanks Squirrel for bringing in the nice weather, and Jeff for the great organization & pizza! It was nice meeting everyone. 

For those who enjoyed KGKT and would like to visit the area for a little vacation time, cabin rentals are reasonable (my wife and I have owned a rental near Pigeon Forge for 3 years) and the scenery is beautiful and relaxing.  If you enjoy hiking, the trails in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park are well maintained, and the waterfalls are magnificent in the spring.  PM me if you want a heads up on rental agencies or the website for our cabin.

Lew