Maybe a stupid question.. Mode S vs. Mode C?

7 minutes ago, David Medders said:

That was the page I was reading and I couldn't figure out if it does or not.  I don't think it actually says it.  I was fairly certain it did, but not sure.  

Back in the day...

We had to have Mode C.  Everybody complained. Cost vs what we get for it...

Then Mode S came along. Everybody complained. Cost vs what we got...

Then ADSB came along. I'm still complaining. Others have added new transponders already. Look at what you need to have to be ADSB out compliant...

From your training, the Mode C veil has been around for a while. There are rules to follow if you don't have Mode C.

What you need to be familiar with is ADSB compliance, because this rule is new and goes into effect in 2020.

Some equipment is new to meet this.  Some is still on the horizon. And others can be updated to handle this.

One challenge for the ADSB equipment is it needs Waas based GPS data.

If you have a waas based GPS already, check the details required to have it connected to your ADSB compliant transponder.

Look up transponders from....

• Bendix King
  • Avidyne
  • Garmin

The fun part regarding ADSB is all the data that comes with it....

• Traffic
  • Weather

Most of this feels like it is for everyone else but the VFR pilot.  Going forwards it will be very helpful to avoid running into hard objects.  It will definitely help hard objects fly around you...

How is that?

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

On May 28, 2017 at 6:30 PM, ragedracer1977 said:

I just realized that the plane I'm purchasing is Mode S.  I'll be basing it in a Class B ring.  Does a Mode S transponder 'qualify' as Mode C within the ring?  

I'm not even sure where to figure this out or what exactly the differences are!

A civil mode S transponder replies to ATCRBS type 3 interrogations.  To a mode A interrogation it replies with your 4 digit 'squawk' code.  To a mode C interrogation it replies with your encoded altitude.  To a mode S interrogation (there are several versions or sub-types) it replies with the requested data.  

So yes, your Mode S transponder also replies to A and C modes.  

On 5/28/2017 at 7:23 PM, ragedracer1977 said:

GTX-330, with traffic. The upgrade is fairly inexpensive and pretty simple it seems.  

With the 330 and 430w you are 90% done. I'd send the 330 back in for the upgrade and get it installed before the $500 rebate ends (imo the program will be extended). 

Yup, that's on the list for sure.  Think I might have them install a flightstream 210 at the same time so I can ditch the Stratus and gain the ability to easily push flight plans to the 430W.  Between the rebate and putting the Stratus 2S up for sale, I'll get a big chunk of the expense back. 

Right now, the FAA is showing the rebate program is good until 9/18/17

2 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Yup, that's on the list for sure.  Think I might have them install a flightstream 210 at the same time so I can ditch the Stratus and gain the ability to easily push flight plans to the 430W.  Between the rebate and putting the Stratus 2S up for sale, I'll get a big chunk of the expense back. 

Right now, the FAA is showing the rebate program is good until 9/18/17

It is but the shops are super busy so you better get it scheduled if you want the rebate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

It is but the shops are super busy so you better get it scheduled if you want the rebate.

As someone who is looking at a panel overhaul I agree that most of the good shops are very busy right now. Most are quoting sept/oct slots...