Moving... airport and SFRA/FRZ

gitmo234

Well folks, most of you have seen me post that I bought a 66'E model but I'm deployed so I cant pick it up yet. 

I've also just been selected for a promotion when I get home from deployment, but I will be relocating to Arlington. So I'm looking at hangars close to future home (Arlington or Alexandria). Right now it looks like Hyde (DC Executive) will be where I go. 

Any recommendations from the group on where to go?

In regards to FRZ flying, I'm aware of the requirements and how to go about the background, etc. My question is, since its very complicated airspace, if I'm in the air and properly cleared and in communication in the FRZ, do they clear though the various bravo spaces as well? 

• Like 1

First, thank you for your service!

Welcome to the MD-3 program. It's a process to get your PIN but flying in the FRZ is a breeze. The folks at Potomac ATC are great and the airspace in the MD-3 area is actually not busy at all. (For obvious reasons). You always have to be on a special flight plan to go in and out, so all of your Bravo clearances are accounted for, and unlike the SFRA gates, the MD-3 airports in the FRZ, like W32, have additional clearance requirements.

In the end, you get to go in and out of the FRZ with a flight plan called into a special number (no filing on foreflight!) using your PIN. There's no playing around in the FRZ just transitions, and you won't find a better group of controllers happy to help you.

DVA

1 hour ago, gitmo234 said:

Well folks, most of you have seen me post that I bought a 66'E model but I'm deployed so I cant pick it up yet. 

I've also just been selected for a promotion when I get home from deployment, but I will be relocating to Arlington. So I'm looking at hangars close to future home (Arlington or Alexandria). Right now it looks like Hyde (DC Executive) will be where I go. 

Any recommendations from the group on where to go?

In regards to FRZ flying, I'm aware of the requirements and how to go about the background, etc. My question is, since its very complicated airspace, if I'm in the air and properly cleared and in communication in the FRZ, do they clear though the various bravo spaces as well? 

Don't discount Potomac, which is in my opinion a nicer airport than Hyde and they are very close to one another. It might be easier to get a hangar at Hyde, but I would call Potomac and see what options they can give you.  Potomac also has a nice fuel club that usually means cheaper fuel. Otherwise, if you live in Arlington, your other options are Manassas or, if you don't mind driving a bit, Warrenton.  You should be able to get a decent hangar at Warrenton.

As to the FRZ, DVA is correct, and essentially if you are VFR you are supposed to fly out of the FRZ through the most expeditious route. So, out of the Potomac or Hyde you will be flying essentially southbound until out of the FRZ and lower than 1,500.

Welcome to the area.

Fernando

I'd actually prefer Potomac but getting a hangar requires bidding on ebay and they go for around $400a month usually. Hyde said I could probably have one by the time i'm home for around $250. A lot of my flying would be north, so I'm a bit curious how that's going to work

You'll likely get vectors east to OTT and then east out of the SFRA PALEO or WHINO gate if VFR to keep you clear of BWI south arrivals. Then you can turn north. If IRF you might be able to get more north.

• Like 1

I did not know about the bidding for hangars at Potomac, but Hyde feels like a deserted place.  That price is hard to beat in this area, however.

I have not flown IFR out of Potomac (I sometimes fly a Citabria out of there), but they are not going to clear you northbound through the FRZ.  At best I would think that you will get the Nottingham VOR (OTT) out of Hyde.

Hopefully someone else that flies out of there IFR regularly can tell you.

Fernando

IFR out of Potomac or Hyde to the north/northeast isn't bad, with routes generally over Baltimore.  Going more northwesterly is a pain and they will typically run you south to the Brooke VOR (BRV) before letting you head on course.  If the weather is VFR when I'm headed that way, I will typically go over Manassas class D and under the Bravo before picking up IFR.

I moved from Potomac to Hyde a couple of years ago where I could get an affordable hangar .  I don't mind the quietness — it is almost like having a private airport!  The longer runway with unobstructed approaches is nice to have as well.