POH Storage Suggestions

My wife has taken over of the two seat back pockets for storing all kind of things. Water bottles, bible, relief pouches, napkins, candy and all the stuff that women carry in a purse. It leaves no room for the POH. Any suggestions for a good accessible place for the POH?

José

Edited by Piloto

I have an electronic copy of the Bible on the iPad.  That may give enough room for the POH.  I also have an electronic copy of the POH for easy reference.

Nothing beats easy reference to E-procedures using the paper POH.  So storing it too far away won't work...

If your copilot can agree to an electronic copy of the Book, you may need another iPad for navigation apps.

Thinking out loud,

-a-

My wife has taken over of the two seat back pockets for storing all kind of things. Water bottles, bible, relief pouches, napkins, candy and all the stuff that women carry in a purse. It leaves no room for the POH. Any suggestions for a good accessible place for the POH?
José

José - as you know I've got a fair amount of electronics in my plane and I ended up with a number of POH addendums and supplements. I think you are a Samsung user so I don't know if they have an equivalent of the iBooks on iOS.

I keep all mine electronically. This has worked out well since they show up on all my I devices.

63781be28648cfdd05cf419d66c9b2ae.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marauder said:

José - as you know I've got a fair amount of electronics in my plane and I ended up with a number of POH addendums and supplements. I think you are a Samsung user so I don't know if they have an equivalent of the iBooks on iOS.

I keep all mine electronically. This has worked out well since they show up on all my I devices.

63781be28648cfdd05cf419d66c9b2ae.png

Thanks but I am not that smart, I prefer paper.

• Like 1

Went to the hangar today and found a good location for the POH. Underneath the pilot seat (2 knobs fully articulated) there is enough room for a shelve that will hold the POH. The shelve would be ty-wrapped to the front  beam and rear axle. To make it easier to pull out the POH will be in a pouch with the strap in front so it can be pulled out easily.

José 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Piloto said:

Went to the hangar today and found a good location for the POH. Underneath the pilot seat (2 knobs fully articulated) there is enough room for a shelve that will hold the POH. The shelve would be ty-wrapped to the front  beam and rear axle. To make it easier to pull out the POH will be in a pouch with the strap in front so it can be pulled out easily.

I thought your relief tube was stowed under the pilot's seat?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

I have an electronic copy of the Bible on the iPad.  That may give enough room for the POH.  I also have an electronic copy of the POH for easy reference.

Nothing beats easy reference to E-procedures using the paper POH.  So storing it too far away won't work...

If your copilot can agree to an electronic copy of the Book, you may need another iPad for navigation apps.

Thinking out loud,

-a-

How did you digitize it? I'd like to do the same but scanning one page at a time isn't how I'd like to do it.

How did you digitize it? I'd like to do the same but scanning one page at a time isn't how I'd like to do it.

I have an app called "Tiny Scanner" that I've used to create an electronic copy of a POH and other documents using the camera on my phone. Obviously not an auto-feed solution, but it's surprisingly useful, and accepts all different sorts of things that would be hard to scan.

Tiny Scanner is available for both Android and iOS, don't recall whether it's free or cheap (but it's not particularly expensive in any case).
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, L. Trotter said:

Once scanned (PDF) the POH is about 100MB. How does one get this onto an IPAD?

I have several documents in PDF form related to the aircraft on my iPad, I create the doc on a PC and convert it to a PDF then email to my self and open it on the iPad. Checklists, POH or any doc for that matter can then be opened within Wing-X, works well (foreflight has the same capabilities).

• Like 1

Once scanned (PDF) the POH is about 100MB. How does one get this onto an IPAD?

If the POH addendum is available from the manufacturer, you can typically download them in PDF format. This makes it easy to store them in a central storage location (like Cloud iDrive, DropBox, Evernote or Microsoft One Drive).

On 5/27/2017 at 9:49 PM, peevee said:

Scanner app, one click per page...

Found a similar POH for easy reference away from the plane.  An MSC had a few examples a while ago...

BK has all their user manuals already scanned available on line...

STC posted online.... 

I had a couple of things scanned automatically by a huge copier in the work environment.

Best regards,

-a-

I have my POH and standard checklists scanned into my iPad and stored in ForeFlight. The one geeky thing I have is the POH has links in it to go to different chapters or back to the main index via a "click".

One item I took away from the first Mooney Summit I went to a couple of years ago was Don Maxwell stating everyone should read their POH at least once a year to pick up something new about their plane. By having it in my iPad, I can browse it from time to time just to try to learn that one thing I had forgotten or never knew.

• Like 1

I have a little pocket up front into which it fits nicely.  But if you haven't one of those, I recommend a good strong pouch of some kind, and stash it under the pilots seat.  That's what I find myself doing with the weight and balance.

Went on Saturday afternoon and did a storage shelve area underneath the seat. Cut a 7 1/2" x 15" a piece of .025 aluminum and bend down 1/2" forward for rivets and bend up 2" the rear for a barrier (keeps the POH from sliding back out0. It work out really well. The storage height depends on how high you set the seat. For mid position there is plenty of space for the POH and small tool bag. Took me about and hour but is worth it.

José

Under seat storage.jpg

• Like 1