I have two pups, a ~65 lbs Labrador and a ~45 lbs "all American" (I think she's Australian Cattle Dog (i.e., part dingo) mixed with Chinese Shar-Pei, but she was a street stray rescue, so who knows). They fly with me in an Arrow regularly. While they can ride with the rear seats installed, they're more comfortable with the rear seats removed (and I'm grateful the flight school would yank them for me on request, for that purpose).

That doesn't work in the E.

I'm thinking about having, IDK, foam or something, I could put behind the front seats to make a surface level with the back seat, and then toss a big dog bed or something in the back seat to give them as much room as possible to stretch out on.

Anyone ever done anything like this?

I've done it many times in various aircraft. Works great, when done correctly. Take your time and make foam pieces that conform to the seat. Then fabricate a "bed" to sit on top, with supports up front. I used 2 core 2  (rigid foam core) composite panel, for light weight and ease. But you can use wood. Some aircraft need multiple parts to make it fit through the door. Generally, I velcro them together or use a piano hinge. 

• Like 1

I have a couple sleeping bags in the hangar that go aboard when cross country or in cold weather.  [Edit:  the bags, rolled up and placed behind the *front* seats effectively fills the void between the back of the front seats and rear seat thigh rests...this combined with a thin pad covering the rear seat thigh rest continuous over the sleeping bags makes a space large enough for two friendly labs].

On a related note, you might consider trying Mutt Muffs for hearing protection.  One of my two dogs tolerates them without issue, the second kicks them off no matter how they're adjusted. 

Edit addendum: I have to imagine that the muffs attenuate the sound somewhat, even if they slip partly off.  At the same time, Google says that a dog's bark at 4 feet distance can be so much as 95dB.  The dog that doesn't like the muffs is a barker.  Maybe she was born with protection? [kidding]  She's also rejected the $10 Amazon dog sunglasses and is not a fan of Thundershirts.  The second dog goes into a coma with the Thundershirt on.  YD'sMMV.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

the second kicks them off no matter how they're adjusted. 

How damaging is high-intensity sound to dogs hearing? I measured my E at 85 dB and that is at the OSHA must have hearing protection minimum. 

A friend of mine (who's an accoustical engineer) tested the mutt muffs and found they provided no attenuation. My dogs don't mind the noise, in fact they hop in the plane with puppy-like enthusiasm. It's actually quieter in an Arrow (haven't measured the Mooney yet) than in my 1995 Jeep Wrangler rag-top at freeway speeds...

14 hours ago, chrixxer said:

A friend of mine (who's an accoustical engineer) tested the mutt muffs and found they provided no attenuation. My dogs don't mind the noise, in fact they hop in the plane with puppy-like enthusiasm. It's actually quieter in an Arrow (haven't measured the Mooney yet) than in my 1995 Jeep Wrangler rag-top at freeway speeds...

I am sorry but if those are the real results this is not an accurate test.  If i put a piece of paper against your ears I am providing some attenuation.  Not much but something.

Now the fit and style of your dogs ears may leave gaps or areas for sound to reach the dog's ears unobstructed.  I can agree with you that there is probably a discussion to be had about the level of attenuation and if there is something that can be done to improve the products that are out there but for my pup it does provide some attenuation although not as much as I would like.  

I do not profit from the sale of mutt muffs....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mccdeuce said:

I am sorry but if those are the real results this is not an accurate test.  If i put a piece of paper against your ears I am providing some attenuation.  Not much but something.

His exact words were "not worth the effort." Also, tried with my pups, the Lab was nonplussed but the mutt (with stand up Shepherd like ears) ripped them off immediately. (Shrug.)

On May 26, 2017 at 4:00 PM, chrixxer said:

I have two pups, a ~65 lbs Labrador and a ~45 lbs "all American" (I think she's Australian Cattle Dog (i.e., part dingo) mixed with Chinese Shar-Pei, but she was a street stray rescue, so who knows). 

Here is our "all American" street stray rescue.  My wife had a DNA test run.  50% Bijon Bolognese; 25% Cocker Spamiel; 25% Shar-Pei.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Our Labradoodle - born in Perth, grew up in Sydney, and now living in Austin. So she's well traveled and is very comfortable in the Mooney.

IMG_1837.jpg

I've got dog muffs, but what I would love to see is a clarity aloft canine setup!