#3081 GREASE FITTING

BRBENNETT

I wasn't able to connect the part number in the title, to the drawing, or the parts list...

Got a photo you can post?

Some Mooney grease fittings are threaded. Some are press-ins.  If yours is missing, it probably used to be pressed in.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

One caution, these (especially the press in ones) zerks  are sometimes yanked out by too tight a grease gun nozzle.

Alemite sells a nozzle that is adjustable in tightness when attached to the zerk head. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I found out that the 3081 number is in fact a typo as mentioned and should be 3081. This grease fitting doesn't have a ball. There is also what I believe several other typos...MS150001-1 (22-1), 46604 (23-6) and the location on 22-4 is pointing to the wrong spot. I sure would like to know what 46604 really is.  MS15001-4 is a 90 degree angle fitting, it will be interesting to see if these still exist on my gear or if they have been changed out to MS15001-1. It is a 55+ year old airplane.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

To further highlight the difference between the standard Zerk MS15001-1 grease fitting (majority of the grease fittings on the Mooney) AND "3018" fitting on the FWD and AFT swinging points on the main gear see the attached photo. 

I just ordered mine from Lock and Lube (see ALEMITE 3018 GREASE FITTING - 6-40 UNF-2A THREADS):

https://locknlube.com/products/alemite-3018-grease-fitting-6-40-unf-2a-threads?_pos=1&_sid=b15bed1d7&_ss=r

Now I need to figure out how to extract the broken threaded neck of the old 3018 fitting from the FWD swinging point on my 20F.  I ordered the micro extractor set on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HRWGTN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fingers crossed, I can back the old broken neck out and install the new shinny 3018 in place.

IMG_3149.JPG

Better than the adjustable grease nozzle is the "Lock-N-Lube" nozzle. 

https://locknlube.com

With respect to the press in 3019 zerk, I stopped replacing them and use a needle tip pressed firmly, gets the job done.

Get a Lock N Lube coupler with a Milwaukee cordless grease gun and a long hose. Greasing made easy.:)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ukrsindicat@yahoo.com said:

Now I need to figure out how to extract the broken threaded neck of the old 3018 fitting from the FWD swinging point on my 20F.  I ordered the micro extractor set on Amazon:

The micro extractor set should work well for you.  I felt pretty lucky when both gear trunnion forward zerks came out using a simple valve core repair tool.    

image.thumb.jpeg.43faf74e16d44255bd3fb4fbe4b4913f.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GeeBee said:

With respect to the press in 3019 zerk, I stopped replacing them and use a needle tip pressed firmly, gets the job done.

Do you do this through the zerk, or in the hole left when the zerk was removed?

I believe that these zerks do not have the check ball.

Skip

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Do you do this through the zerk, or in the hole left when the zerk was removed?

I believe that these zerks do not have the check ball.

Skip

I have one that I use a needle on. The zerk head is gone but part of he shaft remains. You’re correct about the absence of a ball valve. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 5/31/2017 at 7:52 AM, BRBENNETT said:

Thanks for all the responses.   i ended up doing a precision measurement on the fitting that came out and it ended up being a 12-36 thread.  http://www.kingfisherlubrication.co.uk/catalogue/greasenipples/564_HydraulicGreaseNipple1236Uns.html. Good ole Amazon sells a tap as well.  Wierd!

So, what is the conclusion? Is it 3018 zerk or  12-36 UNS taper and where I can buy one. I have the same problem as many other owners, the grease fitting in the aft bearing of the main landing gear is missing.

The problem is the standard grease gun. The fitting won't release. When you try to get the grease gun fitting off the zerk you tear the zerk fitting off. The zerks on the landing gear pivots are very fragile and can't take the forces needed to get the fitting off. 

The Lock and Lube is the secret to success with those zerks.

• Like 1

There is a regular length Loc-N-Lube and a long nose one, my regular length one won’t fit on a couple of fittings, perhaps the long nose one will?

There are two fittings on the nose gear that require a 90 degree adapter, I replaced them with 90 fittings so I don’t need the adapter

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The Lock and Lube is the secret to success with those zerks.

I’ll try my Lock and Lube next summer.  

To release the zerk, unscrew the end of the grease fitting from its body and the pawls will get loose. Yeah, it’s a pain to do it that way, but it keeps from breaking the zerks.