Manual gear unbuckles seat belts

After a few times of disconnecting my passenger's seat belt, I adopted a new technique I refer to as the roll over.  With my thumb facing forward on the release mechanism, once released, I roll my hand backwards to the top of the bar as it passes past the seat belt latches.  I then roll my hand down to the grip as the bar moves forward.  Once latched, it allows me to place my thumb nail into the locking mechanism to ensure the gear is locked.  It works well and yes timing is everything!

Edited by Kyoshiskip
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Kyoshiskip said:

After a few times of disconnecting my passenger's seat belt, I adopted a new technique I refer to as the roll over.  With my thumb facing forward on the release mechanism, one released, I roll my hand backwards to the top of the bar as it passes past the seat belt latches.  I then roll my hand down to the grip as the bar moves forward.  Once latched, it allows me to place my thumb nail into the locking mechanism to ensure the gear is locked.  It works well and yes timing is everything!

I used to do the same thing before I got the new push button belts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steingar said:

I have a very, very simple solution to this problem which I occasionally suffer in my M20c.  The solution is the S in GUMPS.  That is all.

That is OK, but for me, it was easier to stop the thing from happening altogether (unlatching of belts) than to keep fixing the thing when it happened (S in GUMPS = relatch the now-unlatched belt).