Fried static wick

JohnB

This is a picture of my right wing static wick after an IMC flight through some clouds coming into KLGB. It was white and straight at preflight! Glad I have these on my Trillian (my Mooney). Bet this took lots of juice to do this!

IMG_7991.JPG

The white layer seems to have departed... it is some type of rubbery coating not sure if that is needed for the function...

Often it splits before jumping ship.  Looks like it may have hung halfway, before releasing.  

The anti-static unit itself is somewhat brittle and easy to break.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, carusoam said:

The white layer seems to have departed... it is some type of rubbery coating not sure if that is needed for the function...

Often it splits before jumping ship.  Looks like it may have hung halfway, before releasing.  

The anti-static unit itself is somewhat brittle and easy to break.

Best regards,

-a-

Thats interesting.. so it exposed the working part of the wick. Hmm wonder if it still works? hmm well probably worth replacing.

Hung causing the bend in the middle, thats interesting. I think this would have been a spectacular video if caught in the action of being fried by lightning.

Just a guess...

The white rubber is an insulator and the static wick is trying to deliver the static energy off the end.

I lose a wick every now and then, usually by people walking into them accidently in the tight hangar area.

I have never noticed if they work or not. It could take some special air quality like cold dry air to make them noticeable...

Only missing one, less of a big deal...  having one impaired, even a smaller issue.

They are easy to replace.  They are screw in. Probably available through Aircraft Spruce...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2017 at 4:38 AM, StevenL757 said:

John, PM me your contact info.  I have a few spares I brought home from the hangar, and will get a couple out to you in tomorrow's mail.

Steve

Done! That would be fantastic!

John