New Pilot for old plane-Son gets private

pinerunner

I just got the news. My son Nathan just passed his private check ride. I've already got my insurance agent working to add him to my policy and find out what hoops he'll have to go through before he can fly the family plane. He wants to go all the way to professional pilot. I think he'll help make sure my M20E gets enough time in the air. Too bad the engine wasn't rated for 201 HP.

Flying is more fun if you have someone to share it with.

• Like 25

congrats.

I'm sure he will have to be with an instructor fro 5 to 10 hours before solo in the plane.  Have him use that time towards his IR after the first 2 hours of learning the "complex" part of the flying the E.  10 hours of dual hood time will be good for him and a great start to his IR.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2017 at 2:20 PM, pinerunner said:

I just got the news. My son Nathan just passed his private check ride. I've already got my insurance agent working to add him to my policy and find out what hoops he'll have to go through before he can fly the family plane. He wants to go all the way to professional pilot. I think he'll help make sure my M20E gets enough time in the air. Too bad the engine wasn't rated for 201 HP.

Congrats! Wish I could have gotten my kids interested in flying. It is certainly more fun when you have someone to share it with.

On 5/24/2017 at 1:20 PM, pinerunner said:

Lucky dog, congrats to your son (and you too!). I am holding out hope for my grandson, my kids just don't have any interest and my wife is a classic case of 'fear of flying'.

14 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

Is your son solo PIC in the Mooney now?

Soon. The insurance upgrade ($1500) kicks in at the end of the month. They're requiring 5 hours with instructor and 5 solo before he can take passengers and be covered. We have an instructor at our airport who has an M20C so he'll be our goto guy.

My son is very detail oriented and he'll be helping me as safety pilot right off.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Update: He just got his first hour of duel in the M20E.  I think he likes it better than the Cherokee he trained in.:D We found an instructor (on the verge of getting his ATP) with a C model and it was just a matter of the two them getting together.

• Like 2

I took up hang gliding while living in Australia. My son came and spent a year and got his license to fly hang gliders while he was there. I can't describe the feeling of flying wingtip to wingtip with my son ridge soaring along the Australian coast. Hopefully I get to teach him to fly airplanes one day.

3 hours ago, Southernpilot said:

Very cool and congratulations! My daughter is finishing her private this Summer and starting Meteorology at college next month.
IMG_0541_zpsl6inzxcx.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Team Chemtrail patch for the win!

• Like 1

Both daughters are attending Texas A & M, College Station. Oldest is in Geology. And before the sympathetic comments start, I'm married to a financial planner who agreed to the Mooney purchase. She is the one that was on board to fund the 529 plans and sign up for the Texas Tomorrow Fund. I'm a lucky son of a gun. See y'all at Oshkosh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1