shelter cove CA - 0Q5

Played with power settings because I was a lot lower than I normally fly. And I was bored.

Riddle me this. Nearly the same performance and within a few kts true with these two power settings

31" lop 2300rpm about 175 tas at 12k on 13.8 gph tit I think 1630ish

Or

26" rop 2300rpm about 175 tas again and same fuel flow. Tit 1550 which I figure is 150 degrees rop.

Literally almost the same exact figures. For a supposed .2 gami spread our egts were awfully crappy.

Very similar fuel but very different amounts of air, no? Makes no sense to me.

IMG_20170615_164709_01.jpg

IMG_20170615_164733_01.jpg

Checked out your flight into MCE.  Like your little loop de loop!!  Was that for mountain clearance and descent or a bit of an ATC slam dunk?  I had one of those years ago going into Baltimore but it was NOT mountains.

Tom

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Checked out your flight into MCE.  Like your little loop de loop!!  Was that for mountain clearance and descent or a bit of an ATC slam dunk?  I had one of those years ago going into Baltimore but it was NOT mountains.

Tom

Yeah slam dunk. Big rocks there and I was already doing about 1200fpm down and there was traffic doing air work at the airport he said I should get under so I had to hustle. I should have canceled and started down sooner. Oh well. The Mia is the Mia, it's not the controllers fault.

Wind has sucked all week. Started that day at 240 and gradually stepped down to find less headwind.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

I've always had the opinion it's NOT a REAL cross country until you are still going outbound AFTER your fuel stop.  

I guess I get to send you the T-shirt!!

Nice pictures of Shelter Cove.  Looks like a pretty neat place!

Tom

Agreed. I should have made Merced nonstop though... Stupid wind.

Still have stops in kmfr and Heber City Utah u46 or u34 I can't remember. 2 nights each. Keep following!

Shelter cove is really cool. If you make it this way it's worth a stop but maybe too short for the lancair at 3500. Pucker factor high on a rocket with not great brakes still carrying a lot of fuel and close to gross with ocean at the end :)

Oh, the inn has a free pilot can you can use too.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2017 at 0:40 PM, Bug Smasher said:

Fish & chips are at the south end of the field at the general store. That is also the preferred place to park. There is also a restaurant on the north end of the field, but the parking area there is not quite flat. I had to relocate a 172 once when I discovered the parking brake was inop. It could have ended up in the ocean...!

This was good advice that I forgot and also learned the hard way. I'm diagonal across a spot with a wing tied to the tail rope and the other wing to a wing rope. It's somewhat level that way. Guess our parking brake isn't very good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thinwing said:

I just use my chocks

Tough to do when the plane is rolling backwards downhill and you're holding the towbar. The easy solution would be just set the parking brakes a tiny bit to keep it from getting away from me but it didn't work. It's fine. Found a way. There was a tractor in the only level spot. Plane isn't going anywhere. Wanted to park on the north end because of the hotel proximity. Next time I'll walk. :)

Getting out might be an issue. 100 degrees inland, and as you say lower and thicker fog.

• Like 1