shelter cove CA - 0Q5

If it's windy you may have a bad time. Went up there once and dropped down to about 1000 to overfly the field, dropped 500 feet(or so it seemed) in turbulence. Climbed over the airport and went to Redding for Chinese food instead.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve W said:

If it's windy you may have a bad time. Went up there once and dropped down to about 1000 to overfly the field, dropped 500 feet(or so it seemed) in turbulence. Climbed over the airport and went to Redding for Chinese food instead.

well, if I can't get in I'll go to crescent city or somewhere else on the shore for the night I guess. Hotels are going to be tough in June with no notice I suspect.

Plan to arrive in the AM and depart in the AM, is the wind worse in the afternoon or is it just spotty? With no weather reporting that could get interesting.

CEC is a bit far out of town, for a divert on the coast I'd plan on ACV or EKA, both are closer to 'civilization' with ACV having a hotel just down the block, although as usual availability might be a concern. Since as it has commercial service, ground transport may be easier. But EKA during business hours would probably be fine too.

Redding is the largest town in the area and being inland has a totally different weather pattern, and lots of hotels, so I'd expect to be able to find something there. That's where I usually plan for if the coast goes to hell.

Also, on a related note, am I the only one who thinks it would be cool to have a service for something like a Delorme inReach(er, sorry, Garmin) and be able to text a concierge and say, "diverting from 0Q5, need hotel" and have them find you a hotel and ground transportation nearby. Or alternatively, a decent list of airports with camping or nearby hotels instead of having to check every single airport to see what's near it. Ok, rant done.

• Like 1

I head there often for fish & chips, it's great! Well worth a visit. Ocean on three sides and a mountain on the fourth. Coastal fog can be an issue. Tie downs only and no IFR approaches. Also, no fuel. Little River KLLR is a good option if you need to divert. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bug Smasher said:

I head there often for fish & chips, it's great! Well worth a visit. Ocean on three sides and a mountain on the fourth. Coastal fog can be an issue. Tie downs only and no IFR approaches. Also, no fuel. Little River KLLR is a good option if you need to divert. 

fish and chips you say? Where abouts?

Fish & chips are at the south end of the field at the general store. That is also the preferred place to park. There is also a restaurant on the north end of the field, but the parking area there is not quite flat. I had to relocate a 172 once when I discovered the parking brake was inop. It could have ended up in the ocean...!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jrwilson said:

Also good camping and great hiking and beach exploring 

just a one nighter-see-what-it's-about stop.

we'll go back another time, I'd really like to do the trail but never have time.

27 minutes ago, wishboneash said:

We ate (fish & chips) at the RV & Deli store, right next to the airport (June 2016). I have a video of the flight in the videos section. Great flight if the weather is clear.

http://www.mariosofsheltercove.com/page21.html

I'll get fish and chips for lunch and breakfast at the food truck the next day. Things are looking up, hopefully the weather won't hose me.

• Like 1

We have flown in for the weekend ,hotel and stores all within walking..the hotel /lodge we stayed at has a weather cam mounted that overlooks tie down area toward the north side.Check that to confirm vfr ,IFR out no problem to pick clearance up on ground.

• Like 1

Well, no sense in stressing about it now I guess. I'll stress about it in the way up there. Hopefully I can find a hole or Oakland can get me down low enough to get through the layer, doubtful with mountains so close. We'll see.

9 hours ago, thinwing said:

You may luck out..marine layer comes and goes...of course arcata and crescent city have good approaches

Yeah, you never know. I can always hold for a bit. It'll either work out or it won't.

Hopefully if it socks in I can get back out again. Luckily there's not much to hit to the west :D

If I can get a car in Arcata it looks like it's about a 2 hour drive, that'll be OK

It's usually not that bad...lifr in the morning lifting to 700 ovc later and that is on a bad day it never burns off.One good measure..the hotter it gets in the Central Valley the deeper and thicker marine stratus...it's never prevented departure..typically enter IMC at 500/700 and breakout at 2500

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Made it, lovely flight from MCE at 120. Beautiful spot... I don't think the guy at zoa center had ever seen anyone go in here off an IFR flight plan before. 

There's another Mooney here. Looks like a f model. Anyone here?

Parked, long story. All the spots slope backwards on the north end and without someone to sit and hold the brakes while I chock the wheels I had to sort of improvise.

IMG_20170615_124259.thumb.jpg.f5f32672c877719614545bf5dc331179.jpg

Overflight to check the winds and look for golf carts 

IMG_20170615_122936.thumb.jpg.3aeceafc332e2f929fc0b98df6375c9b.jpg

Downwind.

IMG_20170615_123117.thumb.jpg.3615c4c27ff9ff73f13c76a3836a9367.jpg

IMG_20170615_130149.jpg

PANO_20170615_153219.jpg

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, peevee said:

Made it, lovely flight from MCE at 120. Beautiful spot... I don't think the guy at zoa center had ever seen anyone go in here off an IFR flight plan before. 

There's another Mooney here. Looks like a f model. Anyone here?

Parked, long story. All the spots slope backwards on the north end and without someone to sit and hold the brakes while I chock the wheels I had to sort of improvise.

IMG_20170615_124259.thumb.jpg.f5f32672c877719614545bf5dc331179.jpg

Overflight to check the winds and look for golf carts 

IMG_20170615_122936.thumb.jpg.3aeceafc332e2f929fc0b98df6375c9b.jpg

Downwind.

IMG_20170615_123117.thumb.jpg.3615c4c27ff9ff73f13c76a3836a9367.jpg

IMG_20170615_130149.jpg

PANO_20170615_153219.jpg

PeeVee,

That's a NICE looking ROCKET!!

Tom