Question about tie downs

The working load of the ratchet straps is below the lifting capacity of the wings.  Draw your own conclusion.   They sell line (some people call it rope) at Homer Dan that has a working rating much much higher than ratchet straps.  Now of course they make rachet straps for 18 wheelers that have a greater working load than the line.   http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-1-2-in-x-25-ft-White-and-Beige-Double-Braid-Nylon-Dock-Line-Rope-65792/203481779

If you could go 5/8 that would be better.  Still will have some spring in it.

Here is a home made tie down that works fast/easy. There is no way these will break when used as a plane tie down. There is a little stretch to the rope.

The single carabiner goes the the ground anchor. On the double carabiner end, the red carabiner hooks on to the plane. The tie down will adjust by pulling the rope tight and tying the rope to it self.

IMG_1858.JPG

IMG_1860.JPG

• Like 1

Nice splice.  The thing about the line you used is that is has 1/3 stretch of the length built in. I think from fuzzy memory.  Putting a 2-1 purchase in it doubles the length of the stretch. I think.  You may not want that much moving around I think. Nice use of locking beiners

On 5/27/2017 at 1:29 PM, L. Trotter said:

Here is a home made tie down that works fast/easy. There is no way these will break when used as a plane tie down. There is a little stretch to the rope.

The single carabiner goes the the ground anchor. On the double carabiner end, the red carabiner hooks on to the plane. The tie down will adjust by pulling the rope tight and tying the rope to it self.

IMG_1858.JPG

IMG_1860.JPG

Well done Trotter.  First indication I have ever seen that another pilot also knows how to splice braided rope correctly.  Do I detect a sailing background in there as well?

12 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

Well done Trotter.  First indication I have ever seen that another pilot also knows how to splice braided rope correctly.  Do I detect a sailing background in there as well?

Or boy scouts.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

Or boy scouts.

Boy Scouts is the correct answer. My mother thought it was important to learn a variety of skills. I have to credit her for the Eagle Scout accomplishment.

As far as the rope stretch issue...I'm not sure what the actual stretch value is. The 5/8" is very robust and doesn't seem to have much give. The set up allows you to snug the tie down points rather tight if you wish. However, with the low wing, the tie down length is rarely longer than 2-3 feet. With 3 tie down point I have a hard time believing my bird is going anywhere.  Anyway, just an idea to have a set of very sturdy tie downs for relative little $$ compared to commercial units.

• Like 3

I would not use ratchet straps.  You may be careful as to not put too much tension on the strap but a line guy or mechanic may not.  You can ratchet the eye bolt right off the plane..  For this reason I bought the straps that you can only pull tight. (Lashing Straps)  Been using them for three years with a nose gear chalk and so far so good.

We made our own chocks and it was a royal pain in the ass to get wood cut on an angle.  I don't know why shops are so reluctant to do it.  Even flashing a bunch of green we still had to go to several shops before we found one that could accomodate us.

IMG_1458.JPG

Edited by Jim Peace
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

We made our own chalks and it was a royal pain in the ass to get wood cut on an angle.  I don't know why shops are so reluctant to do it.  Even flashing a bunch of green we still had to go to several shops before we found one that could accomodate us.

It's not in the skill set of most people.   It's also pretty easy to get a kickback because the blade is fully engaged in the wood so binding is a problem.  Making a jig is the best answer.

My chocks are cut out of square tube alum that was cut on the 45 degree on the table saw.  The square tube alum was sourced from the side of the road on a bike ride.  It was used to hold the mud flaps on an 18 wheeler.

• Like 1

Somebody cut some L shaped aluminum for my fly along with me type Chocks... on the ground they look like inverted an inverted V, or a ^...

JimP,

Thanks for the great key words to find a bunch of solutions... (lashing straps)

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Somebody cut some L shaped aluminum for my fly along with me type Chocks... on the ground they look like inverted an inverted V, or a ^...

JimP,

Thanks for the great key words to find a bunch of solutions... (lashing straps)

Best regards,

-a-

I made my "travel chocks" from some 2" aluminum angle I salvaged from the trash heap at work several years ago. Cut them to length, filed the ends smooth, bored rope holes in them and sanded them nicely. A couple of years ago, I got them laser engraved with  you tail number since I couldn't find anyone who could mill them in for me.

I have had a number of types of travel chocks.  Cheap hollow triangular sections in plastic that folded like a cheap suit and the skinny ones I got at Oshkosh one year. One of my attempts at cheap failed me when we were parking on the North 40 a couple of years ago and nearly ran into my lead's Mooney.  

Then I went to the Mooney PPP in Manchester last year and bought a set of solid rubber ones from the FBO.  Six inches long and about 3 inches per side of the triangle.   All up they weigh maybe 4 pounds, but they are worth it.   Good and solid.