Cooler A/C setup

smccray

Question for the group now that the season is almost here:

I've had a B Kool air conditioner for a few years and overall I've been happy with it. It definitely takes the edge off the heat which is saying something in TX.  The challenge is that I've never been that happy with how I get a cooler full of ice into the airplane.

When we get to this time of year, my b Kool starts riding around in my trunk. I start freezing blocks of ice in my deep freeze at home, and before I leave for the airport I grab a few blocks, or get ice at 7-eleven to cram as much ice as possible into the cooler. I then put the cooler in the back seat of the Mooney, primarily because I haven't figured out how to get a cooler full of ice into the baggage compartment. 

It seems a little ackward- I'll definitely continue this approach, but I figured someone might have a better approach. Do you leave the cooler in the plane? How do you empty it?  Where do you position the cooler in the plane in a way that it works well?

8 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Do you have a vent hole in the floor of the 201?

The C had a nice piece of convenience with a vent hole back there on the floor...

Best regards,

-a-

I don't know- I'll have to check. 

im about to start building one.  was hot as hell flying out to palm springs the other day.  My plan is a 12v pump and a hose to pump the melt water out.  Or maybe just buying a bunch of those coolpaks so theres no melt to pump.  I have a freezer in my hangar so I dont have to worry about hauling them from home.

21 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Do you have a vent hole in the floor of the 201?

The C had a nice piece of convenience with a vent hole back there on the floor...

Best regards,

-a-

Isn't that the drain for the overhead vents (left rear corner of the baggage compartment)

8 hours ago, smccray said:

Do you leave the cooler in the plane? How do you empty it?  Where do you position the cooler in the plane in a way that it works well?

I keep my Icy Breeze on the charger in the hangar and a Yeti in my SUV. Buy cheap ice on my way to hangar, put Icy Breeze in baggage area then add ice and water. I purchased a 3 foot length of hose from the auto parts store that fits over the outlet hose in my portable AC. Syphon water at the end of flight and remove Icy Breeze. It's impossible to remove the cooler from baggage area without spilling water so the syphon hose is mandatory. 

10 hours ago, smccray said:

I've had a B Kool air conditioner for a few years and overall I've been happy with it. It definitely takes the edge off the heat which is saying something in TX.  The challenge is that I've never been that happy with how I get a cooler full of ice into the airplane.

When we get to this time of year, my b Kool starts riding around in my trunk. I start freezing blocks of ice in my deep freeze at home, and before I leave for the airport I grab a few blocks, or get ice at 7-eleven to cram as much ice as possible into the cooler. I then put the cooler in the back seat of the Mooney, primarily because I haven't figured out how to get a cooler full of ice into the baggage compartment. 

It seems a little ackward- I'll definitely continue this approach, but I figured someone might have a better approach. Do you leave the cooler in the plane? How do you empty it?  Where do you position the cooler in the plane in a way that it works well?

I don't have any pics but what I do is hook up a hose to the return. Long enough reach the ground Then run the pump to empty the water on the ground. Here's mine I built up last year on its maiden run!

What I plan on doing soon is to change the return to a long enough hose to reach the ground so I don't have to hook another one up after flight.

image.jpeg.b7b7a91514c17413a1cbe0db2df4f84d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.59133a11d6c9e46ea88cecd90572b8db.jpeg

image.jpeg.c1fb723a56b21a8aa7f5074a5c0b94a5.jpeg

If you guys want something to cool off your cabin just fly around with my ex... that cold hearted B*#&$ could frost your windows on any Texas summer afternoon.....:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

If you guys want something to cool off your cabin just fly around with my ex... that cold hearted B*#&$ could frost your windows on any Texas summer afternoon.....:)

It's good to hear you're that over it and you've let it go . . lol

• Like 4

8 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

we might be husband-in-laws. was her name Sharon?.....lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

Lol, I'm sure they are related in some way shape or form.....

I was told all women have multiple personalities, you just have to pick the one that suits you best

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

I was told all women have multiple personalities, you just have to pick the one that suits you best

Since this has wandered off topic... Here's my theory on women. 

All women are crazy. Some are the certifiable, belong in an institution in a padded room crazy. Run away from them. However, if you are lucky enough to find one that is just "normal" crazy then hold onto her. 

It took me two tries. The first was the certifiable crazy. The second, well she's amazing, I hit the jackpot with her! 

• Like 2

On 5/24/2017 at 8:06 PM, Yetti said:

Have a college refrigerator freezer in the hanger.   Put cool packs in freezer.   Put about 3 inches of water in the cooler and leave it there.  throw packs in freezer.  fly

20150803_164849.jpg

20150803_164909.jpg

This one is great.  Fits the Mooney CB club so well.  I especially like the old crap peice of wood you picked up off the garage floor to use as  a brace witht eh screw sticking out the other side.  PMA/TSO for sure!!!

The upgrade since that is a bead of Goop around the fan to lid interface.    I don't know how we lived before dry wall and deck screws. Also the lid was cut with an interference fit so the ducting would screw on.

Edited by Yetti

I just finished building mine today. 30 degree temp difference but a lot of airflow. Cost me $120 in parts and has a wireless remote fob. Looking forward to trying it out. cc9e04ecbfff856f85739f743a4b96e0.jpgb51b3935c67737a909b3b5d5e5612685.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FBV said:

I just finished building mine today. 30 degree temp difference but a lot of airflow. Cost me $120 in parts and has a wireless remote fob. Looking forward to trying it out. cc9e04ecbfff856f85739f743a4b96e0.jpgb51b3935c67737a909b3b5d5e5612685.jpg

If you have a parts list that would be nice. I would like to take on a similar project.

4 hours ago, FBV said:

I just finished building mine today. 30 degree temp difference but a lot of airflow. Cost me $120 in parts and has a wireless remote fob. Looking forward to trying it out.

Nice work, very clean.