Garmin GNS430W dual voltage 7000.00

Just spit-balling here, playing the "what if" game.  I have a non WAAS 430 in the panel, installed circa 2002.  Tentative plan is to upgrade it to WAAS when I decide to upgrade to ADS-B Out, but I assume I'll need the new antenna installed, too. If I buy this 430W, do I have to install the antenna at this time, or will the 430W operate (even without WAAS capabilities) with the current antenna?  I'd rather have ADS-B and the antenna installed together, at a later date.

I believe you have to have the WAAS antenna to make it work, as well as the proper coax from the tray to the antenna. I'm not sure you'd save much, if anything, bundling ADS-B installation with that W upgrade. Maybe a half hour of labor?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

A local shop has quoted me $4,100 (to Garmin) to upgrade my 430 to 430W, plus about $1,000 labor for the antenna install and I assume the GPS connection from the 430W to the ADS-B Out transponder.  If the 430W would slide right in today and work, I could delay ALL labor until I settled on the ADS-B Out hardware and was ready to install it.  That's why I'm asking.

I don't think it will work with the old antenna, but you could look in the installation manual. The only labor you would save is maybe removing the glareshield to access the back...the coax connection and routing is separate from the transponder installation. Sure, it would be better with one trip to a shop, but not by much...

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...