Looking to buy my first plane and its a 201J with 3 missing annuals

22 hours ago, JCD said:

Let's see...6 Cylinders, 300lbs more in useful load, 6 Seats, 160 Kts Cruise @ 11.5 GPH ROP......Its a move up to a High Performance Complex aircraft.  I routouinely fly 4 people (2 of which are kids that are 7 and 12 who are growing).  Useful load is a big deal. 

Listen I love my Mooney but the lack of Useful load and the climb performance at airports with High DA (6,000 - 8,000 ft MSL) at max gross will have you puckered for sure.

There is NFW a Comanche 260 of any flavor trues 11.5gph ROP.  That's like 60%power.  Maybe at 14 gph.  Maybe.  Also the Comanche has one of the highest inflight breakup rates.  

Heres a page from the POH of the 260C. The fastest 6cyl Comanche. 160 knots true at 75% power.  That's ROP numbers so let's call it the 15-16 GPH that it is. And we know those old books never lie :)

IMG_0258.PNG

Edited by jetdriven

59 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

There is NFW a Comanche 260 of any flavor trues 11.5gph ROP.  That's like 60%power.  Maybe at 14 gph.  Maybe.  Also the Comanche has one of the highest inflight breakup rates.  

I'd love to see some stats on break up rates of the Comanche series.  In absence of same I call it BS.

Clarence

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

Mooney doesn't make or sell Suburbans. Neither does Porsche. Meanwhile Chevy sells both Suburbans and the Camero.

I'm fine with my two person and a dog airplane. I also drive a 2+2 car.

To be fair we need to compare the Mooney line up with the Comanche series from the mid fifties to 1972 when Comanche production ended.  Comparing  a Comanche to a current Acclaim is hardly fair.

In the fifties Mooney was carving airplanes out of wood and covering them in cotton, while Piper was crafting airplanes out of aluminum.

Clarence

15 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

To be fair we need to compare the Mooney line up with the Comanche series from the mid fifties to 1972 when Comanche production ended.  Comparing  a Comanche to a current Acclaim is hardly fair.

In the fifties Mooney was carving airplanes out of wood and covering them in cotton, while Piper was crafting airplanes out of aluminum.

Clarence

bellanca is crafting airplanes out of wood today (probably, hell I dunno, they've been in and out of business more times than mooney and that's no small feat)

if it's got wings, I'll fly it. I don't care what brand it is.

Just now, jaylw314 said:

My favorite line from Top Gear--"I've seen genital warts more attractive than the Panamera"

I see them driving around, so someone is buying them.

To be fair I'm not sure they're any uglier than that similar looking mercedes that was a sedan trying really hard to be a coupe, I can't for the life of me think of the name.

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

To be fair they both changed their construction technologies for comparable airplanes at roughly the same time (as did most companies in the business at the time).   Piper did, however, keep building fabric-covered airplanes up to about 1994.     ;)

2 hours ago, peevee said:

still kind of hideous.

4 doors on a Porsche- a hideous travesty that someone should have been fired for. 

I don't care if people are buying them or not. They never should have been made. If you want a 4 door German sports sedan, you buy a BMW. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

4 doors on a Porsche- a hideous travesty that someone should have been fired for. 

I don't care if people are buying them or not. They never should have been made. If you want a 4 door German sports sedan, you buy a BMW. 

Noooooo, the 4 door Porsche has always been Audi.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2017 at 2:16 PM, jetdriven said:

Heres a page from the POH of the 260C. The fastest 6cyl Comanche. 160 knots true at 75% power.  That's ROP numbers so let's call it the 15-16 GPH that it is. And we know those old books never lie :)

IMG_0258.PNG

HMMMM.   We all must be crazy then.....

IMG_0346.PNG

7 hours ago, JCD said:

HMMMM.   We all must be crazy then.....

IMG_0346.PNG

Watch that the wings don't fall off that Comanche, I heard they're known for it.

Clarence

I saw this over and over again when shopping for a Mooney.  Airplanes that had sat and sat and were out of annual for years.  Couldn't fathom it myself, hangars and everything associated with aircraft are expensive!

As far as I'm concerned, an airplane that is out of annual is unairworthy.  An unairworthy airplane is scrap, and is worth no more than that.  I had no interest in purchasing one and I don't think anyone else should either.  Lots more out there.

Now if the seller really wants to render the aircraft airworthy once more, that's fine by me.  But I promise a second annual before I purchase the damn thing. Sitting is really bad for airplanes.