AVQ tomorrow

My new-to-me E hasn't killed me yet. :) Picked it up at 0A7, flew to 24A for fuel (gorgeous), was trying to fly around a line of nasty weather when I realized I wasn't going to make it. Tried to put down at KLEX but I was the canary who discovered how "wildly variable" the winds has become (an American Airlines jet behind me also has to go around). Spent the night at Mount Sterling (KIOB). Flew IFR (considerable actual time) to Spirit of St. Louis the next day (yesterday). Today flew IFR to KFTW for fuel and BBQ (Cooper's), then on to El Paso - but headwinds, high climb (10,000'), fuel rate uncertainty, and a small but significant pocket of weather suggested KMAF (Odessa) instead, so that's where 4BE is parked for tonight.

Tomorrow the plan is to hit AVQ around lunch. @KLRDMD, know it's short notice, but if you're a available can I buy you a sandwich?

The plane: There are some squawks, but nothing more more than I'd expect in a $27,000 51 year old airplane... Developing.

• Like 2

Just now, chrixxer said:

Tomorrow the plan is to hit AVQ around lunch. @KLRDMD, know it's short notice, but if you're a available can I buy you a sandwich?

I'm working in LA this week. I flew KAVQ-KVNY yesterday and fly home Friday afternoon. 

It'll probably be (weather cooperating) dinner at Spitfire tonight; have to drop my copilot off at MYF on my way to SMO. If the plane is even intact; violent storm came through last night and I couldn't get ahold of anyone at Signature to check on her / have her hangared (thing the storm knocked their phones out).

4 hours ago, chrixxer said:

Just finishing lunch near KTUS. Next stop MYF, then SMO or, if the field is socked in, VNY...

Still clear at SMO. Just left.

however, fog is starting to march in. 

-Matt

I am enjoying following this thread, but it would be much more enjoyable if you would write the city and state next to the airport identifier so I don't have to look them up.

I bet you're having fun in spite of the delays.

FlightAware is accurate, got into Santa Monica last night. Met up with the owner of the on field shop who will be doing most of the work on her. Looked at tie-down spot options. Ended up at Spitfire having a much needed beer while waiting for Lyft. Came home and fell into bed.

So much to write up... But first, I've gotta get back to work! Stay tuned.

Immediate Mooney issues:

• The flaps pump down fine, but after a few moments they raise on their own (selector lever is down). I got to be the master of the no-flap Mooney landing on this trip. I think it's the relief valve.
  • What screw do I need to attach the inside door handle?
  • Twice there was a fuel smell inside the cabin when we first got in, but it disappeared quickly and hadn't been an issue since. I'm going to have the fuel system looked at when I have the CGR-30P installed (with fuel totalizer).
  • The battery is from late 2014 and we may have abused it when we unknowingly tripped the "Alt" breaker and ran it almost dead.
  • The VSI is inaccurate (I relied on the altimeter and, for additional situational awareness, the AHRS "glass panel" in ForeFlight). Probably just needs a cleaning, but it's the only non-3.125" gauge in the cluster, so I'll probably just replace it when I do the "six pack" conversion.
  • I really want to replace one of the NAV/COMs ASAP, preferably with an SL30. Don't suppose anyone has one for sale? :) (How big of a PITA is it to install one without an 8130? Is it possible?)

image.jpeg

Edited by chrixxer

Do yourself a favor and order a Concorde RG-35 battery ASAP (Assuming you have a Gill in there currently). It's one of the best upgrades you can do in my opinion. You can install a nav/com without an 8130, however it would be simple enough to buy one and have it bench checked by your local avionics shop and get them to tag it while they are at it. 

• Like 2

The fuel smell is probably from your fuel tank sender units at the wing root.  They use cork gaskets that get smashed flat over the years.  Usually just tightening the 5 screws that hold them in will do it.

The hydraulic flaps are an ingenious system that normally works extremely well.  One valve traps the hydraulic pressure so the pump can pressurize the actuator without leakdown.  Your valve either has a bad seal or the piano wire pushrod control needs to be adjusted so the the valve actuates fully.

• Like 1

You should be able to find a sl30 for around $2700. You will probably want to change your indicator at the same time (Garmin 106). My guess is you will find a mess of wires behind the dash. You might want to bite the bullet and redo a lot of the wires while you have access to a cheap A&P to help for future waas gps / audio panel / and adsb upgrades. 

You should be able to find a great condition ASI from someone upgrading. No reason to start off with inop on the dash (make sure you mark it if you're going to leave it that way). 

• Like 1

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

Unless you're going into a short strip, flaps are not required for landing a Mooney, even landing it well. I've done more landings without flaps then with. Especially in a C.

Especially for gusty/crosswind landings, I've found landing with the flaps up helps tremendously in controlling the aircraft and making a smooth landing. 

• Like 2

My transition instructor had me landing with full flaps.  We ran out of time, he signed me off and I went on vacation for a week.  I came back and flew with my old school instructor who has a lot of Mooney time.  He said try landing with no flaps.  I squeaked one off and never looked back.  I have used half flaps a few times to bleed off some altitude, but other than that I have enjoyed good landings with no flaps.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Someone will be along soon to quote the POH and the requirement to use flaps for landing a Mooney.

Or just state that you really want the least energy possible when landing and full flaps provides you with the least energy and slowest airspeed. Simply, it is safer with full flaps (when indicated, which is most of the time) than partial or no flaps.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N6758N said:

Do yourself a favor and order a Concorde RG-35 battery ASAP (Assuming you have a Gill in there currently). It's one of the best upgrades you can do in my opinion. You can install a nav/com without an 8130, however it would be simple enough to buy one and have it bench checked by your local avionics shop and get them to tag it while they are at it. 

RG-35A (according to Concorde's paperwork)? Looks like that's something I can do myself? (https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/pic-archive/aircraft-ownership/preventive-maintenance

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy95W said:

The fuel smell is probably from your fuel tank sender units at the wing root.  They use cork gaskets that get smashed flat over the years.  Usually just tightening the 5 screws that hold them in will do it.

The hydraulic flaps are an ingenious system that normally works extremely well.  One valve traps the hydraulic pressure so the pump can pressurize the actuator without leakdown.  Your valve either has a bad seal or the piano wire pushrod control needs to be adjusted so the the valve actuates fully.

Re the fuel smell - that's what I've read. The CGR-30P will, as I understand it, eliminate the sender units, along with fuel (and oil?) coming into the cockpit?

Re the hydraulic flaps - that's also in line with what I've been reading. I'll take her to a Mooney wrench (the local Mooney-experienced A&P is out right now, having just expanded his family by one).

6 hours ago, Godfather said:

You should be able to find a sl30 for around $2700. You will probably want to change your indicator at the same time (Garmin 106). My guess is you will find a mess of wires behind the dash. You might want to bite the bullet and redo a lot of the wires while you have access to a cheap A&P to help for future waas gps / audio panel / and adsb upgrades. 

You should be able to find a great condition ASI from someone upgrading. No reason to start off with inop on the dash (make sure you mark it if you're going to leave it that way). 

Yeah, that's about the price range I'm expecting for the SL30. I kinda like the old Terra ECDI (one less mechanical thing to worry about, too), so I'm not sure how I'll approach that.

I'm planning on cleaning up a lot of stuff behind the panel!

I misspoke (edited to correct my typo, above) - it's the VSI that's inaccurate. ASI was right on. In fact, all the steam gauges were right on, and better than a lot of rentals I've flown. I was very pleasantly surprised. The DG precessed about ~5 degrees an hour(!). The AI was smooth and reliable. The ASI was good. The altimeter worked great and is well within spec, per the pitot/static certification I had done. (Jerry, you see, is a VFR pilot...)

5 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Unless you're going into a short strip, flaps are not required for landing a Mooney, even landing it well. I've done more landings without flaps then with. Especially in a C.

Yeah, I've gotten to be pretty good at no-flap landings (though I've only ever done one once before - on my checkride! - in a Cherokee 140). I've often come in with less than full flaps (crosswind, gusts, etc) though.

My boss (several thousand hour ATP with ~10 years in a J) was convinced I wouldn't be able to make it into SMO (5,000' runway) without flaps in a Mooney, and I'd been initially picking airports with 7,000+ foot runways just to be safe (though I'd had no issues, under pressure, at KIOB), but I never used more than ~2-3,000', so I knew I'd be fine. (Remember, I had all of ~10 hours in any Mooney before this. Low time in the make and model, new-to-me plane, and no flaps - I was cautious.)

Still, I like to fly to places like Catalina (AVX) and Santa Ynez (IZA), and the flaps should work. They're on the list for "ASAP attention." I'll probably fly her out to Chino to get that work done quickly.

• Like 2