Look what I found!

FloridaMan

2100 SFOH in 1996

Oil change interval is roughly 25 hours with a filter every other change. Aeroshell 100W Plus. Average flight time is 150-250 hours/yr. There was a tiny amount of metal in the filter at annual. I suspected it was due to the chrome cylinder that had been installed at previous annual. This was the fourth oil change since annual and I did it prematurely at 20 hours because the oil appeared to be much darker than expected at that point. I borescoped the cylinders and spotted a weird scratch or crack that runs lengthwise on both sides of that chrome cylinder. I would like to rule out a broken ring before taking my mechanic's advice and getting an overhaul. 

I'm having trouble convincing the mechanics to do more discovery on things and I'd like to rule out a cracked ring, fuel pump plunger, oil pump, et cetera, before having the engine torn down. Compressions were good at TDC, but we did not check through the range. 

I'm a bit disappointed as I was hoping to sell the plane with a timed out engine and buy a rocket. This has the potential to set things back a bit. 

Here is what I'm considering: 

* Send the plane to another mechanic to get a second opinion and possibly more discovery work. 

* Purchase that used engine in the parts section of this site, but it's 23 years old and was last flown I believe over three years ago. 

* Do a factory overhaul exchange for $29,000

Edited by Antares

Just now, orionflt said:

When were the cylinders done?

#1 was done some time around mid-time and before I bought the plane. #2/3 are original. #4 was replaced at annual in 2015. Compressions are strong on all four and they all seem to look ok when I scoped them, except for that weird scratch or crack in #4. It's on both sides of that cylinder. 

I would pull that cylinder, I do not see good cross hatching and that scratch are very concerning. Mind you I am making that recommendation off of one picture. 
Brian

I'm ignorant-fill me in.... What's cross hatching ?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Chrome cylinders don't have cross hatching like that. Supposedly the process is that they apply an industrial chrome and then reverse the current, which causes that dried earth appearance. The texture allows the walls to hold oil. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Antares said:

Chrome cylinders don't have cross hatching like that. Supposedly the process is that they apply an industrial chrome and then reverse the current, which causes that dried earth appearance. The texture allows the walls to hold oil. 

Someone was paying attention in class!

Clarence

Is that big chunky parts stuck to a magnet?

They look different than the cylinder pictures.  If they came from the cylinder with the scratch, the pictures would not be as pretty.

What could cause that scratch...? And similar dots around the scratch...?

Any thing fall in or out of that cylinder in it's history?

Just the usual PP wonderment. I am not familiar with engine bits and pieces...

Best regards,

-a-

It's talking to you! It would be interesting to know where the pets came from in the suction screen. 

I'd pull that number 4 and start digging. I think the screen and filter probably caught everything. 

Could sell it now...its run out. 

I would try and get somebody to bless it and make it safe. The Rocket search is depressing.

-Matt

On 5/22/2017 at 4:51 PM, orionflt said:

I would pull that cylinder, I do not see good cross hatching and that scratch are very concerning. Mind you I am making that recommendation off of one picture. 

Brian

No cross hatching cause that's a channel chrome cylinder...note the numerous grey islands in the chrome.I agree that crack needs to be looked at

See if your oil test company can use an X-ray microscope or other testing device to determine the metal's identity.

thin flakes are typical of chrome coatings falling off.

That would be worth a phone call to find out how they can test that for you...

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

See if your oil test company can use an X-ray microscope or other testing device to determine the metal's identity.

thin flakes are typical of chrome coatings falling off.

That would be worth a phone call to find out how they can test that for you...

Best regards,

-a-

Isn't chrome non-magnetic? Or is it taking some steel with it when it comes off?