10.2 Avidyne upgrade help.

I have the 10.2 upgrade saved to my Avidyne flash drive. But before I loaded the 10.2 upgrade on it I used it to install a jepp update. The 10.2 upgrade says during to install to NOT download anything other than the 10.2 update during the install. And I wasn't smart enough to erase the jepp update before I loaded the 10.2 update on the flash drive. If you installed the 10.2 do you know if the BK1 files are part of the 10.2 update or are they part of the jepp update? If you have any other tips for the 10.2 update I would like to hear them, because I REALLY REALLY don't want to brick my radio. I have ground power attached to an xc concord battery for the long install. 2f8e375bae0d86314a18c82aa375a1cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You should erase the files starting with "BK".

Here are the four things you need on the USB drive:

• 500-00205-000 GoldMaster.dsf Rev 04 - Database and Configuration Update Utility

• 500-00207-000 CONFORMITY CHECKER.dsf Rev 9 - Conformity Check Utility

• 500-00228-000 RUNONCE Rev 00 - Automatic load command script.

• 500-00206-000 FULL UPDATE.dsf Rev 10 - Code load utility.

If you haven't done so, print this and follow it step by step:

601-00182-034.pdf

• Like 2

You should erase the files starting with "BK".
Here are the four things you need on the USB drive:
• 500-00205-000 GoldMaster.dsf Rev 04 - Database and Configuration Update Utility
• 500-00207-000 CONFORMITY CHECKER.dsf Rev 9 - Conformity Check Utility
• 500-00228-000 RUNONCE Rev 00 - Automatic load command script.
• 500-00206-000 FULL UPDATE.dsf Rev 10 - Code load utility.

601-00182-034.pdf

Thank you.

Are you installing the upgrade on a bench or with ground power? DO NOT UPDATE ON BATTERY POWER.  The leading cause of bricking is a drop in voltage during the install. Even on a bench have a UPS connected.

Edited by Kristoffer

Are you installing the upgrade on a bench or with ground power? DO NOT UPDATE ON BATTERY POWER.  The leading cause of bricking is a drop in voltage during the install. Even on a bench have a UPS connected.

I will have a battery minder plugged into the plane and my battery is brand new. It's the large rg-35axc. I'll have All breakers pulled and everything else turned off with a switch.

Just now, xcrmckenna said:

I will have a battery minder plugged into the plane and my battery is brand new. It's the large rg-35axc. I'll have All breakers pulled and everything else turned off with a switch.

Can you run the IFD on the battery minder without draining the battery? If not, I wouldn't do it. If you can then great. Also, be sure to write down all of your settings before the upgrade. You will loose all of them and need to re enter them.

By chance have you done the update yourself? I was told at the end it doesn't tell you to pull out the USB drive after the whole time during the install it's telling you NOT to pull it out. Is the instructions during the install straight forward?

Can you run the IFD on the battery minder without draining the battery? If not, I wouldn't do it. If you can then great. Also, be sure to write down all of your settings before the upgrade. You will loose all of them and need to re enter them.

I've taken pictures of all the settings. I believe you can copy all the settings on a USB drive as well the check lists and everything, then reinstall them as well. Is that true? I will verify voltage draw of the 440 vs the charge of the battery minder.

By chance have you done the update yourself? I was told at the end it doesn't tell you to pull out the USB drive after the whole time during the install it's telling you NOT to pull it out. Is the instructions during the install straight forward?

I did not do it myself. I can not answer that. All of my advice has come from speaking with Avidyne Engineers. You can email Tech Support, they are great at getting back to you.

• Like 1

I've taken pictures of all the settings. I believe you can copy all the settings on a USB drive as well the check lists and everything, then reinstall them as well. Is that true? I will verify voltage draw of the 440 vs the charge of the battery minder.

As with any major upgrade I always worry about compatibility. As along as you have pictures as a backup you're covered either way.

44 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

I did the update on my 440 and 540 and also on a friend's 440. My 440 took 107 minutes and my 540 took 101 minutes, I didn't time my friend's 440 but it was essentially the same as my two. There's no way in hell I would attempt to do the 10.2 update without a real external power source connected. Battery Minder - NO WAY !

• Like 1

I did the update on my 440 and 540 and also on a friend's 440. My 440 took 107 minutes and my 540 took 101 minutes, I didn't time my friend's 440 but it was essentially the same as my two. There's no way in hell I would attempt to do the 10.2 update without a real external power source connected. Battery Minder - NO WAY !

That's good to know. I spoke with one guy that he said his battery minder never came on to charge his batter the whole time during the update. All he had on was the radio with all breakers and any switches pulled and off. Did you have everything turned off on the plane besides the radio?

That's good to know. I spoke with one guy that he said his battery minder never came on to charge his batter the whole time during the update. All he had on was the radio with all breakers and any switches pulled and off. Did you have everything turned off on the plane besides the radio?

Everything was off that could be turned off. My 231 is a 14V, 28V may do better but when I did my friend's T182RG that's 28V I had the external power source on it too. But then again, my maintenance guys just let me keep an APU for the weekend.

• Like 1

Everything was off that could be turned off. My 231 is a 14V, 28V may do better but when I did my friend's T182RG that's 28V I had the external power source on it too. But then again, my maintenance guys just let me keep an APU for the weekend.

Other than the power issue was the install instructions straight forward?

Other than the power issue was the install instructions straight forward?

Follow them to the letter and you'll probably be fine. No guarantees though. I've heard of units being bricked when everything was done perfectly.

Follow them to the letter and you'll probably be fine. No guarantees though. I've heard of units being bricked when everything was done perfectly.

Cool, I guess if they were done perfectly it was probably the issues of the software being corrupted I've read about.

I did the update and I followed every word of the instructions, including hooking it up to a proper 28v external power supply, and it worked perfectly. 

On page 6 of the instructions is says, in red, "Avidyne suggests that an external power supply (note a battery tender is not sufficient) be used or that the aircraft be running with the alternator supplying voltage for the duration of the update. If electrical power is lost during the update the IFD may have to return to Avidyne for repair incurring a charge of $1200.00. "

These are the instructions:

601-00182-034.pdf

People not following the instructions exactly and then bricking the unit is why Avidyne now doesn't want owners doing the updates.

Charles, there is an entire other thread of experience around here somewhere.  It probably won't add any more helpful info than what is here.

There was some fear of disaster up until a few got loaded up...

There are a few different versions of the Battery Minder.  The one I have is significantly larger than the small car versions.  Whatever system you use to supply power, at least understand its current flow to the battery.

Best regards,

-a-

I did the update and I followed every word of the instructions, including hooking it up to a proper 28v external power supply, and it worked perfectly. 
On page 6 of the instructions is says, in red, "Avidyne suggests that an external power supply (note a battery tender is not sufficient) be used or that the aircraft be running with the alternator supplying voltage for the duration of the update. If electrical power is lost during the update the IFD may have to return to Avidyne for repair incurring a charge of $1200.00. "

These are the instructions:
601-00182-034.pdf

People not following the instructions exactly and then bricking the unit is why Avidyne now doesn't want owners doing the updates.

LOL, at $1,200 a pop I would think Avidyne would be happy if the owners failed at the update.

I've read the instructions multiple times over the last two and a half weeks since Chase sent me the update. If the update does require more than following the instructions then I will gladly take it to an avionics shop. That is why I was asking, thanks guys.

If the update does require more than following the instructions then I will gladly take it to an avionics shop. 

Nope, it just requires following the instructions. It specifically says that a battery tender is not sufficient. I bought a 28v power supply a couple years ago on Beechtalk for $120 and I use it any time I need to do updates to databases or software or just familiarize myself with my avionics.

• Like 1

Nope, it just requires following the instructions. It specifically says that a battery tender is not sufficient. I bought a 28v power supply a couple years ago on Beechtalk for $120 and I use it any time I need to do updates to databases or software or just familiarize myself with my avionics.

Sounds like well worth the $120. I talked to one owner that did his update with his battery minder hooked up to his plane that never tripped the minder to come on and charge his battery during the install. He might have been exaggerating.

I did the 10.2 upgrades with my A&P on both my 440 and 540. The 440 was first and went through fine, then we did exactly the same with the 540 and it wasn't fine - the unit worked as a navcom, the GPS got a position fix, but the navdata wouldn't be recognised. Initially we thought the unit was going to have to go back the the US, but we got a fix in the form of SB 601-00182-040. Glad to say that fixed it, but did required getting the user options dsf file which I have still yet to apply.

As to using a battery minder "that never tripped" then the owner of the battery minder obviously failed to read the instructions of the battery minder, or was indeed exaggerating. The current draw on my aircraft with the master and avionics on and all other non-essential services is in the region of 8 amps, so a standard 10 a/h battery is going to struggle to do an hour, adding back 4A with a battery minder is still only going to get me to around the 2 hours mark, so we hooked up another 4A charger to the external port too - even with that the battery voltage had dropped to 25V at the end of the upgrade. Doing the two upgrades as recommended took a little under 4 hours.

If you don't understand this stuff, then thoroughly recommend getting your shop to do it

• Like 1

Hi Charles...maybe the thing to do is buy a standard auto charger capable of 10 amps...pull the side panel and connect directly to battery...That prob cheaper than flying to Boise and paying a shop...get Schauler with an amp meter on the face 

• Like 2

Hi Charles...maybe the thing to do is buy a standard auto charger capable of 10 amps...pull the side panel and connect directly to battery...That prob cheaper than flying to Boise and paying a shop...get Schauler with an amp meter on the face 

63b32a1dbabc6ef103b18b8a271214f3.jpg

I can use this adaptor and a charger that plugs into it right?