PMA-450A with IridiumGo

Hello,

does anyone has already made experience to connect and PSEngineering PMA 450A to and IridiumGo? I use an outside Iridium antenna on my Mooney.

My specific questions are how does this is done? The IridiumGo do not feature a connector for the standard wiring of the PMA as phone. Could a Bluetooth connect be established to use it as a phone in the PMA?

Thanks 

Hendrik

Brian Lloyd could help you. He's got an Iridium sat phone plumbed through his PSE 8000 which is basically the same as the 450a. But Brian's a bit out of reach right not flying his M20K231 around the world.

You might reach out to Brian Kendrick at McKee Avionics in San Marcos, TX. He did the install.

Hello,
does anyone has already made experience to connect and PSEngineering PMA 450A to and IridiumGo? I use an outside Iridium antenna on my Mooney.
My specific questions are how does this is done? The IridiumGo do not feature a connector for the standard wiring of the PMA as phone. Could a Bluetooth connect be established to use it as a phone in the PMA?
Thanks 
Hendrik

Give the folks at PS Engineering a call. I'm sure they would help you. It

http://www.ps-engineering.com/images/Contact.gif

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You interface to the Iridium Go module through your smart phone via Wi-Fi. Connect your smart phone to the PMA 450A either by Blue tooth or cable, verify your Wi-Fi link between your phone and Iridium GO and you are ready to call. There is no interface between the Iridium Go and the PMA 450A.

More details at: https://iridium.com/Products/details/iridiumgo

José

23 hours ago, flumag said:

I will test it thanks. I have a ferry over the Northtlantic in a few weeks.

Hendrik

I will be crossing the north atlantic here shortly... not in a M20 though, that would be more fun.

Anyway, I'm interested in getting internet / phone service while flying in the Mooney. What is the best way to go about doing that?

Edited by Mooney_Mike

5 hours ago, Mooney_Mike said:

I will be crossing the north atlantic here shortly... not in a M20 though, that would be more fun.

Anyway, I'm interested in getting internet / phone service while flying in the Mooney. What is the best way to go about doing that?

Globally best coverage you have with Iridium. Only in the US you might have also other options. An outside antenna is needed otherwise you don't have stable connection. I also found it difficult to have phone headphones under the regular headphones. Best is to have the sat phone connected to the audio panel. Some of the Iridium phones also serve a WiFi.... but watch out for the data costs. I used several Iridium phones and try right now an IridiumGo. 

It sounds like just setting the unit on the cockpit dash with a view of the sky is not adequate? That is kind of what I wanted to do when I fly my F from the east coast to the west coast and back this fall. I really don't want to add any antennas to the outside of the airframe. I am trying to get rid of antennas, not add more.

Iridium is a practical option but the data rate to a handset is limited (128kbps) and the service is expensive.  Getting a reliable data connection with reasonable throughput to a small GA airplane is not going to be easy.   

I can get you a free 2kbps satellite downlink-only for the next couple of weeks or so, but that's not very useful, either.   ;) 

Don't forget...

BK offers phone and internet systems compatible with the G5.  If it works on a gulfstream, it's got to be good for an M20. :)

See ad in the aopa, turbine edition...  the turbine section is a free add-on...

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, Piloto said:

Over the North Atlantic and Caribbean I use HF for Oceanic ATC http://hamuniverse.com/aerofreq.html and telephone calls via WLO http://www.shipcom.com/.

For weather I listen the Volmets http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/VOLMET

When properly installed and operated HF works as well as VHF but with much longer range.

José

what HF radio you are using? fixed mounted ore portable? How you handle the antenna?

Hendrik 

2 hours ago, flumag said:

what HF radio you are using? fixed mounted ore portable? How you handle the antenna?

Hendrik 

I use the ICOM 706 MKIIG with the SGC 237 tuner and a 16ft long wire from the tail to the fuselage top. See attached file for details. I have used this setup for over 15 years with excellent results. I am also able to transmit on the marine VHF channels using a belly mounted VHF antenna. I have the 706 mic, audio and PTT connected to the KMA-24 audio panel on the COM position TEL/HF for quick selection.

José

706 in panel.JPG

706 in Mooney4.pdf

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Piloto said:

I use the ICOM 706 MKIIG with the SGC 237 tuner and a 16ft long wire from the tail to the fuselage top. See attached file for details. I have used this setup for over 15 years with excellent results. I am also able to transmit on the marine VHF channels using a belly mounted VHF antenna.

José

706 in panel.JPG

706 in Mooney4.pdf

Thanks José, nice setup. For me all HF experience aren't that good. I had more problems then it actually helped. Iridium was better but is not accepted everywhere.

1 hour ago, flumag said:

Thanks José, nice setup. For me all HF experience aren't that good. I had more problems then it actually helped. Iridium was better but is not accepted everywhere.

In the last 15 years HF have improved substantially with the use of dual polarization antennas by NY, Gander, Santa Maria and Shanwick oceanic centers. Also most of the new HF radios employ DSP processing to substantially improve reception like in the Icom 706. Over the poles HF is the only way (no Inmarsat coverage) for voice and ACARS.

José

Jose, do you

On 5/25/2017 at 11:11 AM, Piloto said:

I use the ICOM 706 MKIIG with the SGC 237 tuner and a 16ft long wire from the tail to the fuselage top. See attached file for details. I have used this setup for over 15 years with excellent results. I am also able to transmit on the marine VHF channels using a belly mounted VHF antenna. I have the 706 mic, audio and PTT connected to the KMA-24 audio panel on the COM position TEL/HF for quick selection.

José

706 in panel.JPG

706 in Mooney4.pdf

Does that HF have SELCALL? (Selective Calling) 

6 hours ago, Mooney_Mike said:

Jose, do you

Does that HF have SELCALL? (Selective Calling) 

Not like the ones used by the airlines (four letters code). The 706 has Tone Squelch that opens the squelch when it receives a transmission with a sub audible tone. None of the oceanic centers use Tone Squelch. I found the squelch in combination with the DSP to be very effective in keeping the noise muted. You still hear the ATC chatting just like on VHF COM and be attentive for when they call you. You can add SELCAL by installing a decoder such as the CSD714.

José

Edited by Piloto