Forward Trim Gearbox

I am in the process of doing my annual and am addressing my manual trim mechanism while I'm at it.  I will be removing the rear trim machinism for cleaning and re-greasing as well as replacement of hardware and bushings in the tail.

My question is have any of you removed or somehow opened up the Forward trim mechanism that the trim wheel attaches to?

If yes, was it worth the trouble and how much difficulty is involved in removing all the old grease and re-greasing the mechanism?

I'm hoping that somebody out there has some experience with it, like Cliffy, Rich, David, Byron or Clarence, to name a few.

Thanks

It is 2 gears and a chain.   It's a bit messier, but from the bottom you can get to the chain, clean with a brush and solvent, wipe dry, then lube.   It's like a bicycle.  On some there could be a friction device on the hand wheel. Do the numerous u joints as well.   Mine had the caked up old grease on all the parts.  After several cleanings at 2 annuals and some lube of the whole driveline it is a bit easier to operate.

Before cleaning

20161219_113212.jpg

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 1

It's a pretty simple device.  Drive the pins out of the torque tube and remove the indicator cable. Remove the whole assembly from the plane and then you drive the roll pin from the shaft to get the chain gear off it. Then the 4 bolts holding the gearbox together. Clean and reassemble with new grease.  Hank is right. Spend the effort on the tail jack screw.  That's where the friction is. 

• Like 2

Just wanted to say thanks to Rich, Yetti, Hank and Byron for the advice.

I decided not to remove the mechanism, but attacked it with mineral spirits and a tooth brush.  Clean and smooth operation.  Now I just need to regrease it and adjust the chain tension and friction screw.

• Like 1