Putting vinyl ("decals") on your plane

26 minutes ago, Lance Keve said:

I'm looking to fly to Canada this summer and will need temporary letters/numbers as I have small ones currently and don't want to paint on new ones.  Can anyone recommend the best supplier of these types?  Any first hand experiences?  Looking generally for easy on, easy off, but won't end up on the tail.

Thanks,

Lance

Any of the sign shops should be able,"fast signs" is where my neighbor goes 

All the graphics on the new Cessnas are vinyl, as are the tail numbers, as well as the graphics on a lot of other current production planes. 
I did a partial wrap to cover the 70's brown and gold stripes on my C. Still looks as good as the day I did it roughly a year and several hundred flight hours later. I've had it through an annual and several different A&P's. They all commented positively on the results.  It sits outside on a tie down too. 

16265384_10211852234491446_1349569449762786076_n.jpg.c3697308c1ebab6d458f81fbd3c7f973.jpg

Did you notice any more speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Lance Keve said:

Thanks Gents!  Will look into those.

Do yourself a favor and tell them you want it done on 3m IJ180cv3, 3m IJ180mC-10, or Avery 1105EZRS. As a last resort (if it's FastSigns, they typically use cheap materials.. I know, I worked at one back in the day) ask for Arlon SLX.   #1, it will be easier to install cleanly since it has a bubble free component to the adhesive.  #2, you'll thank me when you have to remove it.  It removes easily and cleanly, leaving no (or VERY little) adhesive residue.  If you use one of the more inexpensive vinyls with a permanent acrylic adhesive, you'll be hating life when you try to remove it.

If you're not having them printed, but rather cut out of a solid color, ask for 3m's 1080 series or Avery's SW900 series.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Lance Keve said:

I'm looking to fly to Canada this summer and will need temporary letters/numbers as I have small ones currently and don't want to paint on new ones.  Can anyone recommend the best supplier of these types?  Any first hand experiences?  Looking generally for easy on, easy off, but won't end up on the tail.

Thanks,

Lance

Before you do this, double check the requirement in Canada. There are several aircrafts around with small letters. I do not think custom officers will care.

Yves

CARs 202.01, CAR 202.05, CAR 202.06, CAR 202.07 and Standards 222.01, 222.06

Mark Size and Location Requirements

Generally, there are marks on the side of the aeroplane or helicopter, and marks on the bottom surface of the wings (aeroplane), fuselage or cabin (helicopter). In Canada, though, marks on the bottom surface are optional.

If the owner has marks both on the side AND on the bottom surface of the wings or fuselage (or cabin for helicopter), the following applies:

• the marks on the side must be at least 15 cm (5.9 inches); and
  • the marks on the bottom surface must be at least 50 cm (19.68 inches).

If an owner decides not to display marks under the wings of the aeroplane or the bottom surface of the fuselage (or cabin in the case of a helicopter):

• then the marks on the side must be larger, i.e. they must be at least 30 cm (11.8 inches) except where the dimensions of the structure do not permit this. In that case the marks shall be as high as possible but never less than 15 cm (5.9 inches).

14 hours ago, yvesg said:

Before you do this, double check the requirement in Canada. There are several aircrafts around with small letters. I do not think custom officers will care.

Yves

4 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

CARs 202.01, CAR 202.05, CAR 202.06, CAR 202.07 and Standards 222.01, 222.06

Mark Size and Location Requirements

Generally, there are marks on the side of the aeroplane or helicopter, and marks on the bottom surface of the wings (aeroplane), fuselage or cabin (helicopter). In Canada, though, marks on the bottom surface are optional.

If the owner has marks both on the side AND on the bottom surface of the wings or fuselage (or cabin for helicopter), the following applies:

• the marks on the side must be at least 15 cm (5.9 inches); and
  • the marks on the bottom surface must be at least 50 cm (19.68 inches).

If an owner decides not to display marks under the wings of the aeroplane or the bottom surface of the fuselage (or cabin in the case of a helicopter):

• then the marks on the side must be larger, i.e. they must be at least 30 cm (11.8 inches) except where the dimensions of the structure do not permit this. In that case the marks shall be as high as possible but never less than 15 cm (5.9 inches).

Thank you.  Looks like they are required either under the wings, or the side, if not under the wings.

8 hours ago, Brandontwalker said:

I have been looking at options for a clear tape or vinyl on the leading edges to protect the paint from rain/imc.  Anyone have suggestions?  Local vehicle wrap shops are unwilling to even talk about an aviation application.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_EU/AerospaceSolutions/Home/Applications/RainAndSand/

9 hours ago, Brandontwalker said:

I have been looking at options for a clear tape or vinyl on the leading edges to protect the paint from rain/imc.  Anyone have suggestions?  Local vehicle wrap shops are unwilling to even talk about an aviation application.

It's the insurance companies.  My insurance agent about had a heart attack when I asked him about adding it to our services.  I know there are insurers who will cover it, I just haven't had enough demand to really look into it.

There is a 210 that flies into the field ever so often that has 3 or 4" electrical tape on the leading edge of the horizontal stab, doubt if its legal but he flies in and out of some pretty crappy places in Mex. and he says it helps. Side note it's a Mexican registered aircraft. 

17 hours ago, RLCarter said:

There is a 210 that flies into the field ever so often that has 3 or 4" electrical tape on the leading edge of the horizontal stab, doubt if its legal but he flies in and out of some pretty crappy places in Mex. and he says it helps. Side note it's a Mexican registered aircraft. 

How in the world does electrical tape on the stabilizer leading edge "help"???

Hank

19 hours ago, tony said:
On 5/24/2017 at 11:55 AM, Brandontwalker said:

my comment was about this, there are some pretty remote areas in Mex, and they will land wherever they can

I put 3M clear on the leading edges of my first Mooney. You can do a search of it on Aircraft Spruce under "leading edge proective tape".

It worked great, stuck well, and definitely protected the paint.  When it gets worn, you will NOT be able to remove it and simply apply more.  I saw my old airplane at Oshkosh a few years ago.  Needless to say, I will not be putting it on my current or future airplanes.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, Godfather said:

I think experience with the above examples makes the OP very qualified.  I agree about the duration at speeds but remember race cars should be compared with IAS.  Also the F1 cars have lightweight components that have high downforce pressures and flex a lot...very demanding on the wraps.

On the Ganassi and Penske Indycars, the decals are painted on and feathered smooth so as not to create a laminar flow break. I cant imagine F1 doing wrap

• Like 1

Mercedes, Red Bull, and McClaren each spent north of 450M euros to keep just 2 cars competing last year, and its more this year. A few sheckles for an artist to paint on the sponsors is pocket lint to them, and in the big scheme of things, its cheap speed. I don't know what this year's budget is for Chip or Roger per car, but hear from authority it will cost them about 1M for ea of their cars they had entered in the 500 this year.