Putting vinyl ("decals") on your plane

Raged,  Back 10 years ago I had graphics wrapped onto my Top Dragster (205mph) and was partners on a TAFC that we had wrapped on a carbon body.  I've had my K model now for 2 years (but have now been deployed for 11 months so no flying) and although my paint is 10 years old and still looks new, I'd be up for some wrapping from you !   You get it figured out and hit me up !  Right now I'm in Northern CA but heading to OK possibly in the next 4 or 5 months. 

I've seen wraps that are hard to tell from amazing paint jobs by the unknowing public.  I'm game !   Your work looks as nice as any I've ever seen (from your pics).  

• Like 2

I am going to wrap mine this year, at least a good part of it.  I’m afraid to quote any kind of pricing right now, because I really don’t know how long it’s going to take.  If I had to guess, it would be in the neighborhood of $5k
Put me on the list too. Ive always wanted a Porsche 911 to wrap chrome like this one. Lets do my plane this way. 8c5c37f4dc84ae2da18756c52d8c2250.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NJMac said:

Put me on the list too. Ive always wanted a Porsche 911 to wrap chrome like this one. Lets do my plane this way. 8c5c37f4dc84ae2da18756c52d8c2250.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

There is a company that wraps small airplanes like that.  I looked into it as a possibility before I decided to go old school and paint....

Mostly they do experimental, esp Vans, but they can do your Mooney.  My tks essentially made my airplane ineligible since you don't want any open seems at the leading edge. 

http://www.aircraftwraps.com/about.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

There is a company that wraps small airplanes like that.  I looked into it as a possibility before I decided to go old school and paint....

Mostly they do experimental, esp Vans, but they can do your Mooney.  My tks essentially made my airplane ineligible since you don't want any open seems at the leading edge. 

http://www.aircraftwraps.com/about.html

Boy, a shiny chrome wrap would be so much easier than having to polish all that aluminum . . . . 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Vinyl Covering Shrink Wraps on Exterior of Part 23 Airplanes, Gliders, Airships

The FAA has issued a memo stating there are safety issues with the installation of vinyl covering shrink wraps on the exterior of airplanes, gliders, and airships that are not present with other exteriors such as paint and deicing boots. These issues include hazards that are major to catastrophic, so the installation by FAA Field Approval is not acceptable. Only Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Type Certificate (TC), Amended Type Certificate (ATC), and Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) are acceptable for this installation. This memorandum is not applicable to vinyl decals or logos that are placed on limited areas of the fuselage or empennage. The following are safety concerns with the installation of vinyl shrink wrap coverings that must be evaluated by the applicant for any TC/ ATC/STC application:

1. Without proper engineering evaluation and/or tests, vinyl shrink wrap cannot be placed on any control surface or control surface tab: a. without conslderation of the effect on the flutter characteristics (whether the surface is mass balanced or not) and b. where that installation would change the existing clearance between adjacent surfaces with and without loading.

2. Scoring the skin of aircraft when cutting the vinyl sheets to fit, which can start cracks, particularly in pressurized aircraft.

3. Blocking of fuel vents, static ports, hinges, drain holes etc., making them inoperative or changing the airflow over static ports.

4. Use of an open flame from a blowtorch to apply the material. This is a concern around fuel tanks and vents, sensitive antennas, and especially on composite parts, which have cure temperatures well below the temperature of a blowtorch.

5. Covering required exterior aircraft markings and emergency exits.

6. Vinyl sheets losing adhesion on the surface or on rotating parts and jamming control surtaces or compromising engines.

7. Static build‐up causing electrical discharges in or around fuel tanks and causing radio/navigation interference.

8. Tinting of windows and windshields with transparent vinyl, which compromises the view of pilots.

9. The impact on removal of ice build‐up on critical surfaces.

10. Flammability of the material, including lightning strikes, and especially near engine exhausts and around engine nacelles. Flammability test specimens should be built‐up from the cowling/nacelle with the vinyl shrink wrap applied.

11. Peeling of the wrap from rain or hail.

12. Masking of cracks and corrosion in structure and skin.

13. Lifetime of a vinyl shrink wTap installation. How long before mandatory removal.

14. Effects of de‐ice fluids on the film.

1. Without proper engineering evaluation and/or tests, vinyl shrink wrap cannot be placed on any control surface or control surface tab: a. without conslderation of the effect on the flutter characteristics (whether the surface is mass balanced or not) and b. where that installation would change the existing clearance between adjacent surfaces with and without loading.

2. Scoring the skin of aircraft when cutting the vinyl sheets to fit, which can start cracks, particularly in pressurized aircraft.

3. Blocking of fuel vents, static ports, hinges, drain holes etc., making them inoperative or changing the airflow over static ports.

4. Use of an open flame from a blowtorch to apply the material. This is a concern around fuel tanks and vents, sensitive antennas, and especially on composite parts, which have cure temperatures well below the temperature of a blowtorch.

5. Covering required exterior aircraft markings and emergency exits.

6. Vinyl sheets losing adhesion on the surface or on rotating parts and jamming control surtaces or compromising engines.

7. Static build‐up causing electrical discharges in or around fuel tanks and causing radio/navigation interference.

8. Tinting of windows and windshields with transparent vinyl, which compromises the view of pilots.

9. The impact on removal of ice build‐up on critical surfaces.

10. Flammability of the material, including lightning strikes, and especially near engine exhausts and around engine nacelles. Flammability test specimens should be built‐up from the cowling/nacelle with the vinyl shrink wrap applied.

11. Peeling of the wrap from rain or hail.

12. Masking of cracks and corrosion in structure and skin.

13. Lifetime of a vinyl shrink wTap installation. How long before mandatory removal.

14. Effects of de‐ice fluids on the film.

All great points. We have 42 vehicles at work and 40 of them are wrapped. We've installed some in house and some were outsourced. I sure wouldn't put a wrap on my plane knowing how it's installed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Use an STC is what I think I read above...

There are plenty of GA planes coming from the factory with large pieces of Vinyl...

Getting the right stuff, put on the right way, seems to be important...

MS has people with high speed vinyl graphics skills, and STC writing skills, anyone want to support a project getting an STC written?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic, or document writer...

Best regards,

-a-

Makes a decent paint job look like the lower cost alternative...

unless you are an airplane factory building hundreds of planes. :)

you can always start with simple white...

Then add stripes when the budget allows...

Many Eagles started in a similar fashion and get additional art added to them over time...

And nav boxes... and more hp...

See Cris’ post from a few years ago...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 years later...
11 hours ago, Pinecone said:

Hmm, from the attached list, tinting the windows needs an STC.

Windows can be tinted without STC if it doesn't compromise the view of the pilot.

Darker tinting on back Windows, lighter on the front Windows, a dark stripe across the top of the windshield--these won't compromise your view.

Dark tinting on the front windows is a different matter . . . .

• Like 1