Putting vinyl ("decals") on your plane

Pro race teams have been using vinyl/wraps for a long time.   It's easy to print sponsors/logos in the wrap so that it's smooth.   I wrapped a hood on one of my cars with the number printed on it, and it was pretty cool.  For amateur racers wraps can be a pain because they don't hold up well to contact.   If you rub tires with somebody on a paint job the black donut will clean up pretty well, but a wrap gets pretty much destroyed.   Pro teams just re-wrap it, anyway.

I stand corrected. I just spoke to my guy at Ganassi and he says they started to wrap them a few years ago, when 3M came up with the right stuff. He says the Indy cars are a lot harder to wrap than the Nascar, where they have been doing it longer. Now they can get a smooth wrap not really possible not that long ago when they painted the decals.

I guess I am showing my age :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andy95W said:

I put 3M clear on the leading edges of my first Mooney. You can do a search of it on Aircraft Spruce under "leading edge proective tape".

It worked great, stuck well, and definitely protected the paint.  When it gets worn, you will NOT be able to remove it and simply apply more.  I saw my old airplane at Oshkosh a few years ago.  Needless to say, I will not be putting it on my current or future airplanes.

Are you saying that it is impossible to remove, or takes some extra effort. Heat gun? Solvent? I had thought about replacing the tape put on by the paint shop 10 years ago.

My old plane, when I saw it, was abut 14 years after the tape was applied.  It looked like it had dried up and become 'one' with the paint.  To get it off would probably require mineral spirits, heat, and prayer that it wouldn't peel off the paint with it.

Probably not impossible, but definitely not a simple "peel it off and put a new piece back on" project.

Paint professionals might have some neat tricks, on the other hand.

Yes.  You cannot leave it on forever.  It will fail, just like paint.  This vehicle was always parked in the sun, every day.  All day.  It wasn't maintained.  This wrap is about 10 years old.  Still, it DOES come off with a lot of elbow grease (and heat!) leaving the paint intact.  

IMG_20170210_104035.jpg

FB_IMG_1486752814034.jpg

I stand corrected. I just spoke to my guy at Ganassi and he says they started to wrap them a few years ago, when 3M came up with the right stuff. He says the Indy cars are a lot harder to wrap than the Nascar, where they have been doing it longer. Now they can get a smooth wrap not really possible not that long ago when they painted the decals.
I guess I am showing my age

Not going to lie, that's pretty cool to have a guy at ganassi racing!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

^^^ Would that be this bird...?

PILOT BRIEFING

May 1, 2009 By Alton K. Marsh

Mooney sets speed record Dave Craddock, owner of the first production Mooney Acclaim Type S, set a world speed record on a trip from Minneapolis to New Orleans. He averaged 333 knots with a max ground speed of 357 knots, covering the 904-nm route in two hours and 43 minutes.

Mooney sets speed record

Dave Craddock, owner of the first production Mooney Acclaim Type S, set a world speed record on a trip from Minneapolis to New Orleans. He averaged 333 knots with a max ground speed of 357 knots, covering the 904-nm route in two hours and 43 minutes.

The record flight, submitted to the National Aeronautics Association (NAA) for review and certification in the C-1.c category, spanned the entire length of the Mississippi River. To accomplish the world-record speed over a recognized course, Craddock departed Crystal Airport outside of Minneapolis and did a running start over Crystal at 25,000 feet and a running stop over New Orleans, descending through 11,400 feet.

“I had been watching the weather for several days via the Internet and realized that I could set a blistering record,” Craddock said. “I love flying my Mooney Acclaim Type S at 25,000 feet, and I look for opportunities to do so.”

Nicknamed the Batmobile, the Acclaim Type S is the third new Mooney for Craddock, a dentist from Kewanee, Illinois. As vice president of the Flying Dentists Association, Craddock used the Acclaim to attend meetings in Minneapolis and New Orleans on January 31 along with setting the speed record. “Gone from home only 24 hours, I missed no clinic time,” Craddock noted. “I could have never, ever done that trip commercially.”

Edited by carusoam

Anthony--

I think N242MR was the first restart Mooney when Soaring America bought Mooney and got production started again under Dr. Jerry Chin.

The dentist in your article is remarkable. I remember reading about his exploits at the time. The Mississippi River record was amazing, Minneapolis to New Orleans. Seems he took off somewhere in MN, crossing the start line at cruise speed and went hell-for-leather to the Big Easy, crossed the finish line, then circled back descending to land. There were dental meetings in both locations, and he did the footwork in advance so that everyone was primed for his record run.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

This thread has been quiet for a while, but thought I'd bring up: today I spotted a Diamond that had previously had a vinyl wrap, but was ramp checked by an ASI and was grounded saying that the wrap affected flight control surfaces. I didn't see the quality of the work up-close prior to it being removed from the aircraft so can't comment on the specifics.

Having an A&P sign off on a wrap seems like a smart idea.

Edited by adverseyaw

A couple good videos to check out which go into some depth about vinyl wraps and clear bras compared to what was available even 4-5 years ago.  This guy Larry Kocilla is one of the top detailers in the U.S., Ferrari, Bugatti, Mercedes and a few other OEM's hire him to prep cars for shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp32r8YUZO0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4TN2totvxk

On 5/21/2017 at 1:48 PM, Bennett said:

When the FAA mandated 12" N numbers to replace the previously allowed 4" numbers for aircraft returning from foreign travel, and I was flying out of the country quite often then, I had a paint shop make up a set of 12" numbers "with low tack" so that I could keep my 4" numbers (which I really liked) and "adhere" the 12" vinyl numbers at my last stop before reentering the US. He even provided plastic sheets so I could later peel off the numbers and store them until the next trip. Great idea, BUT! I carefully placed the 12" numbers on the fuselage in the Cayman Islands, and flew to Key West. The nice customs lady came out and wanted to cite me for not having 12" numbers. We looked together and remnants of my expensive "removable" numbers could be found on the horizontal stabilizer and rudder. She gave me 5 minutes to come up with 12" numbers, and so I used blue masking tape from my survival kit to cobble up the worst set of 12" numbers ever seen. No fine!, and the following week I had the 4" numbers removed, and new 12" numbers painted on the airplane. On another airplane I used a mix of vinyl materials and paint for logos and accent trim. Rivet heads were difficult, but with a heat gun, patience, and pins and a razor, the end product was worth the effort

I've seen  planes in Mexico with painter's tape N numbers. When you get back to the states you just rip it off and go back to the 4" numbers.

-Robert

16 hours ago, adverseyaw said:

This thread has been quiet for a while, but thought I'd bring up: today I spotted a Diamond that had previously had a vinyl wrap, but was ramp checked by an ASI and was grounded saying that the wrap affected flight control surfaces. I didn't see the quality of the work up-close prior to it being removed from the aircraft so can't comment on the specifics.

Having an A&P sign off on a wrap seems like a smart idea.

Obviously control surfaces must be balanced per the Mooney manual and would need an A&P sign off. Was the ASI's position that wasn't done or they otherwise didn't like the wrap?

-Robert

I've seen  planes in Mexico with painter's tape N numbers. When you get back to the states you just rip it off and go back to the 4" numbers.

-Robert

It was hysterical when I landed in Key West and I and the custom’s lady could see remnants of my “removable” 12” N numbers steaming from the vertical and horizontal stabilators. The numbers felt secure when I placed them in position, but I guess 200 Kts was too much for them (this was my 261 conversion). On other aircraft I have owned I used some elaborate vinyl graphics, and I had a very difficult time dealing with rivets. Ultimately with a heat gun, pins, and a razor blade, I was able to bring about acceptable results. My current Mooney is all paint, and I am glad it is. For what it is worth, my prior airplane, a DOVA LSA had huge amounts of factory applied vinyl graphics. Even though it was a brand new airplane, I had all the paint (and graphics) stripped off the airframe, and new paint applied. I would do that again given the same circumstances.

To be absolutely fair, I have seen automobiles wrapped to perfection, and with deep metallic colors I doubt could be accomplished with paint. I just think autos may be a better object to wrap than Aircraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/3/2017 at 11:29 PM, carusoam said:

About Dr. Craddock...

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pjstar/obituary.aspx?pid=165027234

Taken too soon...

Best regards,

-a-

Old post but he was one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet. Right up to the end he loved aviation and had a great time in his Mooney.  He has/will continue to be missed, Dave “crash” Craddock. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

If race cars can be wrapped, so can airplanes. I wouldn't hesitate to have a pro like @ragedracer1977 put a wrap on my plane. And I doubt it would be difficult to get it signed off. With a good wrap, I bet an ASI wouldn't be able to tell it wasn't the normal paint job.

One other thing to consider.  If you are stripping and painting your plane it's going to start at what $12K for someone you trust?  A good vinyl wrap would be closer to $7K I'm thinking.  If you wanted to really slick it up after the wrap have the wrap ceramic coated.  It would make it super easy to keep clean and maximize speed.

On 2/10/2018 at 1:33 PM, Rumblestrip said:

One other thing to consider.  If you are stripping and painting your plane it's going to start at what $12K for someone you trust?  A good vinyl wrap would be closer to $7K I'm thinking.  If you wanted to really slick it up after the wrap have the wrap ceramic coated.  It would make it super easy to keep clean and maximize speed.

Is there a history of wrapping aluminum vehicles? I'd be concerned about corrosion under the wrap. Would it bubble so it would be obvious?

-Robert

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

Is there a history of wrapping aluminum vehicles? I'd be concerned about corrosion under the wrap. Would it bubble so it would be obvious?

Bubbles and wrinkles are pretty obvious with vinyl, and not difficult to remove.

With powder coating, the FAA had difficulty...  the thickness of the coating could obscure the corrosion...

Of course, my M20C yoke was dipped in polymer, and hid the corrosion caused by sweaty palms.... cracked polymer allows sweat in...?

Brice, when does your plane get wrapped?

If Alaska airlines can put pictures on their flying surfaces... find the Alaskan face on the rudder in the site/page below...

https://www.alaskaair.com/?semid=12c933bb-47b0-e889-8390-000053bd13d2::20466792::||Evergreen||&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_JTUBRD4ARIsAL7_VeUyFjCM3FYTYZszVSuK5WiUWgIGKm_KhakRputXllvsThrBK7y9iPYaAtlNEALw_wcB

Best regards,

-a-