Putting vinyl ("decals") on your plane

Some modified version of this scheme is what I'm looking at.  I like how it 'flows' the windows into the fuselage making them look longer.  I'll have to put something together in my design program and see what I can come up with.  I have to work with the paint that's already on the rudder (a light gray) since it doesn't appear I'm allowed to do anything with that.

img1-top-product.jpg

• Like 5

Played around with Mrs. Yetti's vinyl cutter.  Then doing a durability test.  Been on for a year and is doing pretty well

Thought about doing one across all across the top cowl.... like a Firebird from days gone by.

20151206_110158.jpg

Edited by Yetti
  • Haha 1

On a primarily hangared plane, I can't see any reason the vinyl wouldn't last a decade, or more.  I recently did the hood on a Firebird.  The guy had the roof and trunk wrapped 10+ years ago and it still looks brand new.  The material itself typically has a 5-7 year warranty from the manufacturer.  

If putting vinyl on the control surfaces is a viable idea. Expect that removal of the rudder (for example) is done to check its balance.

removing and balancing is a mechanic's job.

Now, if you can get sponsors to pay for all of this, that would become really popular...

As far as the thunder chicken or Formula 350 and other graphics on the Firebird, their longevity wasn't very good stored outside... measured in years, but not a decade.

Even the GM clear coat doesn't go a decade outside...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I'm interested.  I reached out to a few wrapping companies, even some that showed wrapped aircraft on their websites, for a quote to wrap my F... and not one of them responded.  Eventually I found it was because no one wanted to go through the hassle of dealing with the FAA with a certificated plane.  If you figure out all the legalities and are interested then I need to get a quote from you.

• Like 2

The question about speed and wrapped bodies would best be answered by top fuel dragsters and funny cars. With special sponsored events lots of changes to the cars color schemes and would not be surprised if they were wraps. 330 plus mph.

• Like 1

Just now, bonal said:

The question about speed and wrapped bodies would best be answered by top fuel dragsters and funny cars. With special sponsored events lots of changes to the cars color schemes and would not be surprised if they were wraps. 330 plus mph.

Wrapped top fuel dragster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0l7Cv_9OxY

• Like 3

Cheap, easy, durable, beautiful and a kickass way to personalize your airplane without devaluing your aircraft at sale time.

Oh and the vinyl is the same weight or lighter than the additional layers of paint. So you can wrap anything on the plane.

Do it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Go for it!!

With your skill set I would wrap whatever you wanted. Even the flight controls. Then have them balanced. It's not as scary as it sounds. I would love to wrap mine one day. My Dad is wrapping his Sonex. The automotive materials are amazing to work with. 

If your paint is in marginal shape. I would even wet sand all the paint and current paint lines to have a nicer working surface. Don't get into the rivets.

Post many pictures and I'm sure you'll get a few customers! 

-Matt

Even painting the control surfaces is in need of checking the balance.  Due to potential control flutter issues...

The cool thing is once the technical documentation details of doing this are figured out.  The opportunities are incredible.

There are a lot of Mooneys with large white surface areas.  Many Eagles came this way...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I've been discussing this with a few cohorts for a couple months now. My thoughts were to paint my plane with a white basecoat then add graphics as desired. Done well I can't imagine my IA having any issues with it. Keeping ailerons, elevators, and rudder free of decals might be a good idea for legal reasons but I think this could be done easily enough. So when do you want to get started on my plane [mention=15932]ragedracer1977[/mention]?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

P.S. I was perusing the latest AOPA magazine and realized their new sweepstakes 172 is covered in decals, even on the rudder. You might ping Paul Howe at Moody Aero-graphics for more insight on the legalities. https://blog.aopa.org/aopa/2017/03/02/painted-or-polished/?_ga=2.150355444.353891409.1495427508-1831704713.1486357878
12fce6dd086ed6fb3c3788a534dc1d15.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

All the graphics on the new Cessnas are vinyl, as are the tail numbers, as well as the graphics on a lot of other current production planes. 

I did a partial wrap to cover the 70's brown and gold stripes on my C. Still looks as good as the day I did it roughly a year and several hundred flight hours later. I've had it through an annual and several different A&P's. They all commented positively on the results.  It sits outside on a tie down too. 

16265384_10211852234491446_1349569449762786076_n.jpg

• Like 7

Control surfaces can be done as well but they have to be balanced, you will also need a new W&B done if the total weight exceeds 1/2lb. My hangar neighbor flys into Mexico several times a year, he installs 12" reg #'s that are low quality vinyl and plays hell getting them off when comes back and these are "slapped" on with little to no prep. Decals are a quick way to change the looks of something relatively quick compared to paint. 

5 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'm liking this idea the more I think about it. Let me know when I can bring the 252 over to Phoenix for a full wrap. :)

And my Eagle with a lot of white open areas is a short flight away from AZ.....  

• Like 1

I googled how Frontier does the animals on the tails.  Looking forward to seeing your Mooney wrapped!

From Frontier's website: 

"The decal application is almost like one giant contact paper project. The image is printed on "transfers" that have the image on one side and a peel back adhesive on the other. The chemical structure is not really the same as contact paper, but the process is essentially the same. The decals last up to five years. Damage to the decals occurs due to wind erosion, repairs on the tail structure and sunlight. However the tails are regularly maintained."

13 hours ago, Yetti said:

Then doing a durability test.  Been on for a year and is doing pretty well...

These have been on for years...I'm probably in trouble since it's a control surface. IA never batted an eye...IMG_6407.JPG.b86fc61ef6308b15dbed415bb28a8d3e.JPG

'Do not push' on the rudder

'No step' on the flaps

errosion has removed a few letters over the years...

Ovation Graphics on the tail...

Any guidelines for cost of adding a stripe, doing something like Dallas/Puddles did, or a complete wrap with fancy artwork?

Rough estimate +/- an AMU for materials and labor should be close enough...

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, RLCarter said:

My hangar neighbor flys into Mexico several times a year, he installs 12" reg #'s that are low quality vinyl and plays hell getting them off when comes back and these are "slapped" on with little to no prep. 

I'd be willing to bet that if he spent the extra couple dollars for good quality vinyl he'd have an easier time peeling them off. The adhesives used in the higher end wrap vinyls are pretty amazing. little grooves that allow bubbles and trapped air to effortlessly escape, holds on tight when you need it to, but can be peeled off. The vinyl itself is pretty amazing too. I've had pieces that were so stretched and crumpled from handling that they look like trash, and a little heat flattens it all right back out. 

For registration numbers the difference in cost between cheap vinyl and the good stuff would probably only be a few bucks, and be well worth it in saved headache.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Control surfaces can be done as well but they have to be balanced, you will also need a new W&B done if the total weight exceeds 1/2lb. My hangar neighbor flys into Mexico several times a year, he installs 12" reg #'s that are low quality vinyl and plays hell getting them off when comes back and these are "slapped" on with little to no prep. Decals are a quick way to change the looks of something relatively quick compared to paint. 

39 minutes ago, StinkBug said:

I'd be willing to bet that if he spent the extra couple dollars for good quality vinyl he'd have an easier time peeling them off. The adhesives used in the higher end wrap vinyls are pretty amazing. little grooves that allow bubbles and trapped air to effortlessly escape, holds on tight when you need it to, but can be peeled off. The vinyl itself is pretty amazing too. I've had pieces that were so stretched and crumpled from handling that they look like trash, and a little heat flattens it all right back out. 

For registration numbers the difference in cost between cheap vinyl and the good stuff would probably only be a few bucks, and be well worth it in saved headache.

I'm looking to fly to Canada this summer and will need temporary letters/numbers as I have small ones currently and don't want to paint on new ones.  Can anyone recommend the best supplier of these types?  Any first hand experiences?  Looking generally for easy on, easy off, but won't end up on the tail.

Thanks,

Lance