Tire replacement criteria

DXB

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

Guess the question is : what would be the worst thing that can happen to fly with a tire like that?

Open to suggestions and whoever can scare the living daylight out of DXB takes the prize! :D 

Thanks but I can terrify myself on my own just fine :lol:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tommy said:

Guess the question is : what would be the worst thing that can happen to fly with a tire like that?

Open to suggestions and whoever can scare the living daylight out of DXB takes the prize! :D 

But remember these are not car tires. The condition of the tread doesn't indicate the ability to hold air.  The manufacturer recommendations to replace when cord shows has always been more than safe enough for me  

-Robert 

Edited by RobertGary1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

But remember these are not car tires. The condition of the tread doesn't indicate the ability to hold air.  The manufacturer recommendations to replace when cord shows has always been more than safe enough for me  

-Robert 

I took my check-ride in a Cherokee that had a main tire that was almost completely bald. Owner of the school had said it would be fine, there were no cords showing and even if there were it was okay until there more than two cords showing. The DPE took a look at it and just said "it's fine, there's no cords showing, just don't lock the tires up."

• Like 2

Here are some excerpts and links to the detail:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2013/march/19/from-touchdown-to-tiedown-aircraft-tires

Another common tire problem is flat spots on the tread—often caused by skidding or hydroplaning during landing. Generally, tires do not need to be replaced due to flat spots unless the wear exposes the tire fabric. That said, flat spots can cause the tire to be out of balance. If you experience shimmy during taxiing or gear vibration in flight, examine the tires for flat spots and consider tire replacement to eliminate balance issues as the cause.

https://www.avweb.com/news/maint/193372-1.html

Tires should be examined and possibly replaced when they have certain types of cuts, sidewall damage, bulges, fabric fraying, groove cracking or flat spots. The specific criteria for each type of damage is listed below.

Flat Spots: Generally speaking, tires need not be removed because of flat spots due to touchdown and braking or hydroplaning skids unless fabric is exposed. If objectionable unbalance results, however, rebalance the assembly or remove the tire from service.

Fabric Fraying/Groove Cracking: Tires should be removed from service if groove cracking exposes fabric or if cracking undercuts tread ribs.

https://www.goodyearaviation.com/resources/tips.html

Optimizing your aircraft's tire life has never been more important. Goodyear recommends the following actions be taken to help safely optimize the life of your existing tires:

Prevent premature removals of tires. Replace properly maintained tires only when they are fully worn, rather than when convenient due to scheduled maintenance of other landing gear components.

1) The strength of the tire is dependent on the internal threads remaining strong. If they get cut or exposed they can lose their strength.

2) The tire's ability to hold air is all dependent on the health of the tube.

3) Missing tread/flatspots will have the tire out of round and unbalanced, you may notice it during taxi or at higher speeds.

I'm not sure when to keep a tire, but I know when the threads are showing where the treads used to be, that is definitely time...

Best regards,

-a-