Does replacing a battery go in the airframe or engine logbook?

aajones5

33 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

When I was working at a flight school, some of the examiners would check the logbooks and question why the engine wasn't signed off for an Annual inspection.  At some point ya gotta pick yer battles...

The airframe entry for the annual inspection covers the entire aircraft for the statement. The engine and prop logs get statements that they were inspected IAW a 100-hr inspection.  There is no annual inspection checklist for an engine or prop. It's on the mooney checklist however. 

11 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Mooney seems to have an inspection requirement for Annual-100 hour inspections which covers the engine, and airframe, but seem to have left out any reference to the prop.

i will continue to note all maintenance in the applicable log books.

Clarence

http://www.mooney.com/en/pdf/100_Hour_Annual2007.pdf

It's in general items 3-4-5

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

The airframe entry for the annual inspection covers the entire aircraft for the statement. The engine and prop logs get statements that they were inspected IAW a 100-hr inspection.  There is no annual inspection checklist for an engine or prop. It's on the mooney checklist however. 

My undertanding from the FDSO is that this is not the case. If you say,...

"This AIRCRAFT" it covers the entire plane, including engine prop

but if you log

"This AIRFRAME..." it is only an inspection of the airframe and individual inspections need to be logged for engine and prop.

-Robert

3 hours ago, jetdriven said:

FAR 43 Appendix D covers the 'checklist' portion requirement for the engine and propeller. Also, 100hr. inspections are only required for 'for hire' aircraft, but those aircraft still require an annual inspection. I guess you could interpert the regs differently, because FARs are meant to be confusing. However, the way I read it, each individual component of the aircraft that has records as stated, requires an individual annual inspection. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is any regulatory requirement which mandates having separate airframe, engine or prop logs.  You could have one giant aircraft logbook that you log all maintenance in regardless of engine or airframe.  I think we just separate them for ease of record keeping.  But I could be wrong. 

4 hours ago, jetdriven said:

I'm not disagreeing with you Byron, I said in a previous post basically the exact same thing.

But when enough students aren't allowed to take their checkrides because the examiner doesn't understand this, what would you do?  Sign off the engine for an Annual.  Or lose your job.  You decide.

6 hours ago, jetdriven said:

The entire annual can be placed in one entry in the airframe log if the engine and prop elements are referenced in it.  It makes sense to split it up, though, since the engine, prop and airframe might go separate ways in the future.  I suppose you could just make one annual entry and then make copies to put in the prop and engine logs, too

8 hours ago, Andy95W said:

I'm not disagreeing with you Byron, I said in a previous post basically the exact same thing.

But when enough students aren't allowed to take their checkrides because the examiner doesn't understand this, what would you do?  Sign off the engine for an Annual.  Or lose your job.  You decide.

Write a letter to the FSDO asking for clarification is what I would do. Take it over the inspector's head because They've  been wrong before.  They answer to the FSDO manager and also to the Administator.  They're worker bees not Gods.  

2 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Write a letter to the FSDO asking for clarification is what I would do. Take it over the inspector's head because They've  been wrong before.  They answer to the FSDO manager and also to the Administator.  They're worker bees not Gods.  

The problem was never the FSDO, it was the individual examiners that gave checkrides for private pilot's and instrument ratings.

Second, I'm glad I don't have to deal with it anymore.  I was working part time as an A&P/IA/CFI for my previous employer while I was an F/O at a regional airline (just after 9/11).   Now I got me one of them high payin' airline jobs flyin' the Airbus.

Third, sorry if I came off kinda pissy in my previous post.