The right size Sparkplug

mccdeuce

So I am possibly replacing some or all of my spark plugs I started looking at the usual fine wire vs massive and the Tempest "Application Guide"  Then went to my logbook where  I had documentation of all 8 being replaced in December (they were the Champion ones that were highly suspect).  The logbook lists UREM38E while the application guide only lists the UREB37E to work with the IO-360 A1B6 and A3B6.

So my question is what exactly is the difference in these plugs and is this a mistake of the shop who did the install?  (I was not happy with this shop for other reasons and took my aircraft elsewhere (AGL Aviation) for its annual and other work in January.

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Does this help?

Doc,

thats the chart from tempest that I was looking at - which lists the UREB37E which seemingly is contradicting the aviation-specialties chart. 

I also don't understand the difference in the spark plugs to understand if it actually matters. 

Mark

There it is. I think the only difference is the cylinders with the long reach spark plugs. If he does indeed have the engine that needs the long reach plugs and they put in short reach plugs, it would probably run crappy. Better than doing it the other way around. 

I have the A3B6.  The tempest guide does not list the A3B6 only the A1, but my understanding of the difference between the engines was only related to the prop governor location. 

So I am not 100% sure on what is the right plug.  If I go to Champion's Application guide they list the REM38E for both the A1B6 and the A3B6.  While it is clear to me based on the Temptest guide that they list the UREB37E for the A1B6.

http://www.championaerospace.com/assets/AV-14-Jan2010.pdf

5 minutes ago, mccdeuce said:

I have the A3B6.  The tempest guide does not list the A3B6 only the A1, but my understanding of the difference between the engines was only related to the prop governor location. 

So I am not 100% sure on what is the right plug.  If I go to Champion's Application guide they list the REM38E for both the A1B6 and the A3B6.  While it is clear to me based on the Temptest guide that they list the UREB37E for the A1B6.

http://www.championaerospace.com/assets/AV-14-Jan2010.pdf

Once again the REM38E is the standard plug. Always has been always will be.

You are lucky to not have the dual mag.

I'm running RHM38Es because of the turbo. You could too, but you would need a new set of wires.