Hearing protection plus headset

milotron

A lot of the noise is due to surface reverberation, specially from the glare shield and plastic side panels. You can tell which surfaces has the greater reverberation by tapping on them with your nails. Thin carpet material on these surfaces lowers the reverberation effect. On the glare shield I attached soft Velcro strips on the edges to keep the metal frame vibration insulated from the glare shield. It works very well.

José 

Edited by Piloto

i have a set of halos.  Dont like them.  They feel delicate.  They take a minute or 2 to get on and adjusted vs tossing the DC ProX on.  They get all tangly when you need to store them in their protective case.  You have gross ear wax on them when you take them out.  (yes I clean my ears).  they arent ANR although they do a pretty good job of sound damping.  I dont like the loop around the back of my head.  I just keep them as a spare set in case I need them.  Oh and theres no bluetooth on them although to be fair I never use the bluetooth on my DCs. I really wanted to like them but they just werent for me.  Phil was very helpful to work with and he's a god over on the reddit flying forum.  Lots of people love them.  Thats why I havent sold them.  I keep thinking Ill try them out again.  I do a lot of short hosp training and throwing the DCs over the yoke and back on my head is easy peasy.  Long flights it might be worth the setup to use the halos.

My mooney is loud on takeoff but at 1000AGL when I bring her back to 25/25 its fine.  And I cruise like an old man at 2350 RPM so I dont ever have loudness issues.  Love the over ear ProX with my glasses.

Edited by TheTurtle

8 hours ago, TheTurtle said:

i have a set of halos.  Dont like them.  They feel delicate.  They take a minute or 2 to get on and adjusted vs tossing the DC ProX on.  They get all tangly when you need to store them in their protective case.  You have gross ear wax on them when you take them out.  (yes I clean my ears).  they arent ANR although they do a pretty good job of sound damping.  I dont like the loop around the back of my head.  I just keep them as a spare set in case I need them.  Oh and theres no bluetooth on them although to be fair I never use the bluetooth on my DCs. I really wanted to like them but they just werent for me.  Phil was very helpful to work with and he's a god over on the reddit flying forum.  Lots of people love them.  Thats why I havent sold them.  I keep thinking Ill try them out again.  I do a lot of short hosp training and throwing the DCs over the yoke and back on my head is easy peasy.  Long flights it might be worth the setup to use the halos.

My mooney is loud on takeoff but at 1000AGL when I bring her back to 25/25 its fine.  And I cruise like an old man at 2350 RPM so I dont ever have loudness issues.  Love the over ear ProX with my glasses.

Now you did it. You are going to catch heck for something you just wrote.. 25/25!

Delicate?

Mine get as much respect as a set of ear buds for an iPod...

They go from in use, to hanging on the yoke for next time.  No gentle storing in a fuzzy case...

If they get dropped, nobody's heart stops...

Learning to insert the plugs in your ears is Best when you have had the OSHA training on how to insert ear plugs.

Once you have your favorite plug selected/fitted it doesn't take any time to get used to.  Set it n forget it...

Lots of extra plugs in a baggy.  They're so low in cost, no reason to re-use if they get grubby...

Best regrds,

-a-

On 5/20/2017 at 0:46 PM, nels said:

I've always wondered how a set of Halos would work if you added a good set of non ANR headsets over the top. Anybody try this?

Yes, sort of.  I have a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort noise canceling audio headphones that I sometimes put over the Halos.  I love the Halos and they are indeed quite.  But it is quieter when placing "cheap" noise canceling headphones over them.     They are light, battery powered,  no cord, about $300, and have non-aviation use.

• Like 1

On May 22, 2017 at 9:36 PM, Hank said:

I have a 3 blade prop. Why would it be quieter? Blade length is the same as the 2 blade props . . . so  on noise reduction. But it climbs well, making for less noise on the ground when departing.

Way back in the old days when everybody had fans in their house instead of AC units, the fan companies went from two blade to three, four and even more blades to cut down noise. I would think the same would apply to our airplane props?

Just now, nels said:

Way back in the old days when everybody had fans in their house instead of AC units, the fan companies went from two blade to three, four and even more blades to cut down noise. I would think the same would apply to our airplane props?

When they added blades, they also reduced diameter, which is lower tip speed at the same RPM. Prop noise increases hugely as tip speed approaches the speed of sound. My 3 blade tips move at the same speed as your 2 blade tips at the same RPM.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hank said:

When they added blades, they also reduced diameter, which is lower tip speed at the same RPM. Prop noise increases hugely as tip speed approaches the speed of sound. My 3 blade tips move at the same speed as your 2 blade tips at the same RPM.

Hank, you have me scratching my head. Are you saying that a three blade prop should be 50% louder since the blade length is the same or is the pitch changed in order to handle the same gross amount of air but just less work per blade? If the later is the case wouldn't the three blade be quieter as it should be more efficient aerodynamically? I really don't know but it is an interesting question. I have been told a three blade is quiter and reasoned it to be so....but I could certainly be wrong.

22 minutes ago, nels said:

Hank, you have me scratching my head. Are you saying that a three blade prop should be 50% louder since the blade length is the same or is the pitch changed in order to handle the same gross amount of air but just less work per blade? If the later is the case wouldn't the three blade be quieter as it should be more efficient aerodynamically? I really don't know but it is an interesting question. I have been told a three blade is quiter and reasoned it to be so....but I could certainly be wrong.

I'm just saying that my 3 blades are all 76" long, just like your 2 blades are.  So when they are running 2700 RPM for takeoff, our blades are making the same noise due to tip speed being the same. Your engine makes more HP than mine, but our muffler design a d condition determine the engine noize. Prop noise will dominate, tbough; but I'm not the right person to get into detail with. I do remember from schkol that rotational speed involves r*omega , and we both have the same r and run the same omega, so the sound  should be the same, with different engine undertones. That's all I got . . .

But I suspect Don's MT prop is quiter because it's composite and has shorter blades.

8 minutes ago, Hank said:

I'm just saying that my 3 blades are all 76" long, just like your 2 blades are.  So when they are running 2700 RPM for takeoff, our blades are making the same noise due to tip speed being the same. Your engine makes more HP than mine, but our muffler design a d condition determine the engine noize. Prop noise will dominate, tbough; but I'm not the right person to get into detail with. I do remember from schkol that rotational speed involves r*omega , and we both have the same r and run the same omega, so the sound  should be the same, with different engine undertones. That's all I got . . .

But I suspect Don's MT prop is quiter because it's composite and has shorter blades.

Hank, maybe somebody will chime in and set us both straight. haha. Might even be a good discussion in a seperate topic?

• Like 1

I wonder if it has anything to do with the 'fluid" being kept in rotational, helical motion more frequently with a three blade - in other words there is less friction because the air is being pushed three times each revolution instead of two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Things get really loud as they approach the speed of sound... calculate the tip speed of your prop while turning max rpm.

Things get really muffled when they are made of composites...

A 310 hp 2700 rpm TopProp is a screamer...

a four bladed composite MT on a Rocket sounds peculiar compared to typical aluminum props.  The Euro environment really appreciates this more than the Harley and Coal smoking pick-up truck appreciating North Americans...

If sound comes out of our mufflers, I haven't heard it over the prop noise...

PP thoughts only...

-a-

The 4-bladed MT prop for the Rocket is made from sound-absorbing composite, 2" smaller diameter, and 25 lb lighter than my Hartzell 3-blade. All three of those contribute to its meeting German noise requirements.

I would guess that it's better to wear an in the ear headset under ear muffs than to wear ear plugs under a regular headset. That way you can run the audio volume lower and hear things clearer. Not sure how much it would help though.

Flying higher makes things quieter. Flying over Mach 1 eliminates noise entirely.

On 5/24/2017 at 7:05 AM, flyboy0681 said:

Now you did it. You are going to catch heck for something you just wrote.. 25/25!

we dont 25/25 for climb around here?  I read a few articles of people keeping everything firewalled throughout climb but its just to noisey and gas sucking for me.  25/25 gets me up and keeps the engine cool and happy.

15 minutes ago, TheTurtle said:

we dont 25/25 for climb around here?  I read a few articles of people keeping everything firewalled throughout climb but its just to noisey and gas sucking for me.  25/25 gets me up and keeps the engine cool and happy.

Climbing WOT will keep your engine cooler, and get you to altitude sooner . . . . Especially if you lean to Target EGT.

On 5/23/2017 at 11:10 PM, TheTurtle said:

nice to see I'm not the only one. I was starting to feel like I was going crazy.

• Like 1