Hearing protection plus headset

milotron

Hey folks.

Our Mooneys, especially the turbo models, seem to be considerably louder than other C brand aircraft. My K is over 95dBA in the front seat during take off climb, around 85dBA in cruise. Even with Bose A20, my ears are ringing for hours after a flight. The speech sounds great, but still loud to get over the noise.

Do any of you use custom ear plugs under the headset? I was on a heli flight the other day and the co-pilot was using these with some old non-ANR DCs. I didn't have a chance to ask him about them, but am curious as to how well the speech audibility gets through with the extra plugs in. I see they come with filters designed to allow speech frequencies through.

I evidently have goofy shaped ear holes as I can't use regular earbuds at all, so the other in-ear style never worked well.

My hearing is already not great due to construction work and previous life a a musician and was an issue on getting medical for my CPL approved. I don't want it to get any worse.

Thoughts?

You might want try a better headset. I replaced a DC PRO-X with the new ONE-X at KOSH last year. Really quiet even with sunglasses and O2 cannula. (I'm 74 and my hearing is getting weaker every year but the easiest listening I do is inside the ANR headset.)

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2016/july/11/the-quiet-comfortable-one

Go into an audiologist and get some custom ear molds made. If you have the QT Halo head set, you can get the tubes incorporated into the molds. That's probably your best bet. But there are others who use just simple foam ear plugs under their ANR headsets.

I have used rubber ear plugs with very good results even on non ANR headsets. The only issue is that the radio volume needs to be raised.

I recommend these ones. When I insert them all the way in I can hear my tinnitus tone even with the engine running on takeoff power.!!!

Definitely works better than the $1000 solutions for just $4.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/14-00157.php?clickkey=3008573

José

• Like 1

I have been flying with the Bose A20 since it came out, in many different aircraft for hours on end cross country trips, I have never had any ringing in my ears after a flight (or discomfort in flight due to noise). 

Now when the batteries get low, that is a different story.  It always seems to happen about 45 minutes into a trip and there are no spare batteries within reach!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, nels said:

I've always wondered how a set of Halos would work if you added a good set of non ANR headsets over the top. Anybody try this?

Sounds like a huge hassle to put the halos on and then a headset.

22 minutes ago, peevee said:

What makes you think it would be any better than earplugs? That's essentially what they are.

22 minutes ago, peevee said:

What makes you think it would be any better than earplugs? That's essentially what they are.

I don't know. That's why I'm asking. Are you saying it is the same thing?

to clarify, I'm thinking a set of headphones that are not plugged in, but just being used as additional noise cancelling.

Edited by nels

My brand P is much quieter than either of my Mooneys ever were.  I found my DC headsets with Headsets Inc noise cancelling and Oregan Aero conversion to tame the noise best.

Clarence

36 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

My brand P is much quieter than either of my Mooneys ever were.  I found my DC headsets with Headsets Inc noise cancelling and Oregan Aero conversion to tame the noise best.

Clarence

I think my DC's with headsets inc noise cancelling are quieter than my new bose set.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, peevee said:

I think my DC's with headsets inc noise cancelling are quieter than my new bose set.

Interesting, I was considering getting one of the DC helo headsets to add the ANR kit to. The helo sets have higher passive dB reduction.

Thanks for all the other info. I am going to try the simple orange foam plugs tomorrow  with the A20s. I like the comment about hearing the tinnitus tone with the plugs in. I don't need to plugs to hear my tinnitus...Also going to look into the custom molded plugs

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

Same set-up I have. DC, Headsets, Inc. and Oregon Aero ear pads. I'm not sure they are quite as good as Bose, but close, and for a lot less money.

Flew for about 6 hrs today with non ANR DCs.  My ears are ringing for sure.  That and I have a headache from the clamping.  I was going to add ANR to them but now I'm thinking otherwise for the comfort aspect. 

They most comfortable headsets I've used were Beyerdynamic.  I used to wear these with foam ear plugs and could get 4.5-5 hr legs without feeling clamped.  My wife took those away from me so now I'm using the DC and I can get about an hour and a half and then the headache starts kicking in.  This is mostly because I'm a glasses wearer I think.    I had two issues with those (same thing - cable wore out and shorter) and each time it has come back working properly.   The last time is cost $75, was sent to Germany and took 2 months but I got my like new favorite headset back and am happy   

For the poster who wondered about QT Halos - I wonder about using a set of in ear headsets like halo or clarity aloft with QC-25s over them. Theoretically that combination should be the best noise attenuation. 

@Hyett6420 Andrew who's that British in ear headset manufacturer?   Any pireps?. 

I guess now I'm debating between Halos or Zulu-3 headsets and will relegate the DC to the passenger position.  Help me decide :-)

Halo's if you can snag a pair either on the used market or new from QT when they show up on the website.  Never had a thought to augment the Halo's with another pair of over the ear type ear muff.  No reason to since the noise reduction is just as good as ANR headsets that are 3x more expensive and still give you the clamp headache, bad hair, and sweaty ears in the summer.  I will NEVER wear another set of head clamps.   ;)

Having said that, I'm used to wearing earplugs due to work, so it was a very easy transition.  Some folks can't get used to the earplugs, so that is another aspect to think about.  If you don't like them, you can usually sell them again and get your full amount.  They are that good to some folks....

I'm currently using the black supersoft foam inserts and they feel better to me and do not need to be replaced nearly as often as the yellow ones. 

Cheers,

Brian

IMG_8264.JPG

• Like 1

Just now, peevee said:

I had halos and sold them. They're not for me.

Did you get the full amount for them and how long did it take to sell them?  The last three sets that have gone up on BeechTalk lasted less than 30 minutes before being sold.  One pair sold in 6 minutes....:o

Absolutely understand they aren't for everyone though.

One other benefit, I get a little more clearance from the ceiling... :rolleyes:

I love my Halos. No more clamping headaches in a couple of hours, they don't get noisy when I put on sunglasses, and they fit with every hat! I use the molded silicone plugs, and gave away the foamies. They come with two styles of foam tips and at least one silicone version,  so it's easy to find one you like. I've had legs approaching 5 hours and days of 7 hours with them, zero complaints!

Try it, very few people don't like it. Much, much better than ear buds, which hurt my ears, as you only put the foam or silicone plug in your ear, not the whole speaker. And the company is owned and operated by a Mooney pilot who happens to be a PhD Audiologist . . .  

• Like 2

We have the Halo QT / Audiologist around here...

He usually gives good answers to these type of questions.

One thing I have learned is that the human ear hole comes in several different sizes.  Most earbuds only come in one.

Fortunately, the QT  Halo company sells many different sizes, materials, and other things to go with...

I'm with Brian, I selected the silicone plugs based on work experience (8hrs per day). The radio is piped through the center of the comfortable plug. This makes the radio sound like it is in your head.

As far as keeping other noise out... sounds like an experiment from low cost (Hank's ideas) to high cost NC devices could be in your future...

I got to use a set of recent-ish Bose NC headsets...  they are Nice...  but buying four sets for all seats could leave a long lasting impression.

The coolest thing about the Halos... eyeglass rims don't get in the way of the ear seal...

The second coolest thing... no clamping pressure on your head...

Third coolest thing... (sort of) They are so comfortable you may forget they are on your head. Leaving the plane with your head plugged to the panel needs some thinking in advance...  be ready with an  'I meant to do that' kind of quip.  :)

Fourth... I'm a baseball hat kind of guy. Hank has a really cool hat though...

Fifth...  my seat height is set to put my eyes up high to look over the cowl better... no room for hats with buttons on them or goofy fat head clamps up there.  

Send your question to Phil McC... Also, Ask if there is a chance that wireless/BT is coming...

https://www.quiettechnologies.com/

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, carusoam said:

The coolest thing about the Halos... eyeglass rims don't get in the way of the ear seal...

The second coolest thing... no clamping pressure on your head...

Third coolest thing... (sort of) They are so comfortable you may forget they are on your head. Leaving the plane with your head plugged to the panel needs some thinking in advance...  be ready with an  'I meant to do that' kind of quip.  :)

Fourth... I'm a baseball hat kind of guy. Hank has a really cool hat though...

Preach it, brother!! Points 1, 2 and 3 are right on the money.

When it comes to hats, I have a John Deere ballcap that lives in the plane as backup. The hat you are talking about is my warm, wool winter hat.

20130922_133457.thumb.jpg.dc3c42cdebfccb6490c4b2595bdb015c.jpg

This is my "cool" hat, or part of it, the ventilated crown didn't make the picture . . . .

2012-09-29_16-55-42_670.jpg.35d982a0212d98299b3f1c2c93d7c277.jpg

These were taken on Plane Ride Day at our airport. The front seat pax is wearing my first headset, good for a two-hour headache that, as a newbie, I thought was from altitude. Now I know better.

If you have a good excuse for getting out of the plane with your Halos on, please let me know--I've tried several times, I can get out the door but can't stand up. :P

Edited by Hank
  • Like 2