Gear Doughnuts

Releew

19 minutes ago, Alan Fox said:

True , the ten dollars worth of seals on the oleos , that fail every 20 years or so are far inferior to the 1200 dollar donuts every 12 tears....

Fair enough, but doughnuts have never leaked all over my tire. I haven't  had to top them off with nitrogen. For the most part, you don't have to do anything. 

• Like 3

Just now, N201MKTurbo said:

Fair enough, but doughnuts have never leaked all over my tire. I haven't  had to top them off with nitrogen. For the most part, you don't have to do anything. 

Listen , contrary to popular belief , I do love Mooneys ... But in my opinion , the Gear , and the tanks are the weak links.....

22 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

FWIW, I agree with Alan about Mooney tanks. They should have been made removable like Vans and Cherokees. The mechanics of the Mooneys' gear, though, is a marvelous example of Al's true engineering genius. 

Ah....!  This sounds like a perfect segue to a tank re-seal versus bladder thread derailment.  :D

I doubt when Al Mooney designed these planes that the donuts were more expensive than struts. 

"How expensive can a bunch of rubber be":) 

however ive never had problems with the Mooney  On strut planes id have problems with them sticking and you'd land on a slant  

-Robert

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

I doubt when Al Mooney designed these planes that the donuts were more expensive than struts. 

I read somewhere that the original pucks were a motor mount from a Mack truck....would make since to use something off the self if possible

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RLCarter said:

I read somewhere that the original pucks were a motor mount from a Mack truck....would make since to use something off the self if possible

Perhaps someone has a few pucks to take down to the local mac truck dealer to see if they have identical parts with part numbers and all...

30 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

Perhaps someone has a few pucks to take down to the local mac truck dealer to see if they have identical parts with part numbers and all...

Mooney changed like in 67' or so, the old style used 4 pucks in the nose and 5 in the mains (thinner puck) its been several years ago that I read that and the Lords were the only game in town

36 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

Probably a long shot, only the FAA would require the same pucks to be used after 50 years ........ Mac truck has improved their design several times I am sure.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

So many, many factors...my IA had given me a warning shot two years ago. I had him replace them this year (9/17).

If they need replaced the real indicator is the ground handling and landings AFTERWARDS. In my case, quite noticeable.

...and yes, Aviall is the cheapest source for them.

• 5 months later...
On 1/2/2018 at 4:46 PM, HRM said:

So many, many factors...my IA had given me a warning shot two years ago. I had him replace them this year (9/17).

If they need replaced the real indicator is the ground handling and landings AFTERWARDS. In my case, quite noticeable.

...and yes, Aviall is the cheapest source for them.

@HRMHow much are they on Aviall? Is there a way to order from them if you're not a business?

Cheapest I've found so far is http://www.chiefaircraft.com/ld-j11968-14.html at $109/each and I think free shipping if you buy over $500 worth.

Edited by AlexLev

51 minutes ago, AlexLev said:

@HRMHow much are they on Aviall? Is there a way to order from them if you're not a business?

Cheapest I've found so far is http://www.chiefaircraft.com/ld-j11968-14.html at $109/each and I think free shipping if you buy over $500 worth.

I believe you have to have a business account with them, but that may be easy to obtain.

IIRC, they were $80 apiece. Be aware that Lord anything varies up and down like a commodity, which when you think about it, they are.

• Like 1