LoPresti Cowl Mod

Mike,

There are a few around here...

You can use the search box to see what comes up...

generally Lopresti was known as a good Mooney aerodynamics engineer. He built good, but expensive things.

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?&q=Lopresti cowl&sortby=relevancy

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

With regards to the J model, and certainty not to disparage Roy Lopresti, but per Bill Wheat, Mooney guru of a major magnitude, the only aerodynamic creation of Mr.Lopresti with regards to the 201, were the eventual aileron winglets.

All other aerodynamic enhancements to the F and G models, which evolved into the J model, had been created and tested at one time or another, on the F and G models by previous Mooney engineers and technicians.

Roy simply gathered all and directed them placed on what was to become the J model.

This, as well as other very interesting Mooney history and information from Bill Wheat, can be see and heard in the movie documentary, Boots On The Ground...the Men and Women who made Mooney.

9 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Perhaps Roy should get credit, at least, for successfully selling the idea of incorporating these modifications into Mooney production. And the "201" monicker and N numbers were pure genius! 

Of course, no doubt, credit due Roy Lopresti.

During the filming of the documentary, this subject came up from Bill.  Bill did address the fact that Roy was commonly known to have designed and created the 201.  

I happen to know a thing or two about the "Lopresti Cowl". - There is a lot more to the mod then just a "cowl" (new gear doors, new air box,  new baffles, better alternator cooling, improved ram air to name a couple....)

It was really designed as a speed mod for the M20J / 201 to improve on the OEM M20J cowling design adding even more speed to the 201. So if you install it on an E or F model you have a different airplane speed and engine cooling wise.

I am finishing up the installation of one which was done in conjunction of an engine overhaul and a new interior.

Feel free to PM me I can fill you in on pretty much everything you want to know.

Edited by Mooney_Mike
  • Like 2