need the electric trim switch holder

for a king system.

Something is broken in our plastic thing that holds all the various switches on our yoke, PTT, AP D/C, trim, etc. All that's good but the holder thing is broken and loose. Any idea what that's called? I don't even know where to begin looking for a replacement because I don't know what to call the thing.

9 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

Hard part to find.  I got mine on a set of Ovation yokes that I purchased.  You probably will need to get it from Mooney.

John Breda

I don't have an answer yet, but I think I can get it from honeywell. I have no idea how many types it was used on, I get the impression it's a one size fits many part. I'll update if/when I get a price from BK

That is a BK part and should be on a bazillion airframes flying and not...  of course it is part of the AP and will be removed when scavenging old airframes...

Sounds like a call to wentworth may be helpful...

Best regards,

-a-

http://www.wentworthaircraft.com/avionics.html

Edited by carusoam

On 5/17/2017 at 0:46 PM, carusoam said:

That is a BK part and should be on a bazillion airframes flying and not...  of course it is part of the AP and will be removed when scavenging old airframes...

Sounds like a call to wentworth may be helpful...

Best regards,

-a-

http://www.wentworthaircraft.com/avionics.html

No dice. I'll keep looking for a used one, they're $280 new.

Just now, N201MKTurbo said:

I would probably let the hangar fairies make one. 

Any ideas how? It's been broken under where it says trim up, so it twists a little bit which can't be good on the wires. It's annoying but not $300 annoying.

Just now, peevee said:

Any ideas how? It's been broken under where it says trim up, so it twists a little bit which can't be good on the wires. It's annoying but not $300 annoying.

Oh, without holding it in my hand, it is hard to say. The easy way would be to just use a piece of 1/8" aluminum with a bend in it and cut, file and drill until it holds all the switches. The harder way would be to go over to Rene's machine shop and start carving it out of a block of Aluminum. If I played all my favor cards, I could get one of the MEs at work to draw it up in Solidworks and get the machine shop to make it on the CNC.

Just now, N201MKTurbo said:

Oh, without holding it in my hand, it is hard to say. The easy way would be to just use a piece of 1/8" aluminum with a bend in it and cut, file and drill until it holds all the switches. The harder way would be to go over to Rene's machine shop and start carving it out of a block of Aluminum. If I played all my favor cards, I could get one of the MEs at work to draw it up in Solidworks and get the machine shop to make it on the CNC.

you could probably solid model it and 3d print it too I guess. CNC aluminum would be neat, then you could anodize it black. That would be too sweet. Maybe this winter when the plane isn't flying I'll work on something, thanks for the ideas!

• Like 1

just the cover part or the holder part?   If you had a broken one there is some alum bar stock and a milling machine that are just sitting around and could make some chips on the floor.

Conceptually I know how to anodize.  Have never purchased the chemicals and soaked stuff.  I have powder coated things in a Craigs list bought oven...

The whole holder as I picture it. I realize there's a screw missing from the trim switch and that's confusing but the whole plastic cap on the yoke is what I need, from the cws and autopilot switch to around the trim switch to the top of the yoke.

37 minutes ago, thinwing said:

It's an overpriced and fragile BK part...they sell the entire unit with switches for about 800 I recall..a machined AL would be awesome...and prob not legal

The trim switch alone is like 800+

On 5/25/2017 at 4:31 PM, thinwing said:

It's an overpriced and fragile BK part...they sell the entire unit with switches for about 800 I recall..a machined AL would be awesome...and prob not legal

Owner supplied part of same or better quality makes it legal.  If someone had a sample and asked for a same design, chips could hit the floor. It would be a fun 3d PVC printed part, but I have not gone down that road due to lack of time.   They can now print with titanium if you want.

2 hours ago, Yetti said:

Owner supplied part of same or better quality makes it legal.  If someone had a sample and asked for a same design, chips could hit the floor. It would be a fun 3d PVC printed part, but I have not gone down that road due to lack of time.   They can now print with titanium if you want.

I think the problem with plastic is going to be the threads, you could tap it for the screws holding the switches but I'd worry about the longevity.

I'd get ours out but I don't want to put the plane down for several weeks so I'll have to try and find a used one or something. If I can find another one it would be worth having it CNC milled