Where to find a cfi for long distance?

I'm in Alaska. Been eyeing planes in the Midwest, I'm not IFR rated yet, would like to find someone experienced in Mooneys so I can get a complex rating at the same time, plus cross country experience.  

Anyone have some leads as to where I can look? 

Edited by alaskan9974

The Mooney Flyer on line http://www.themooneyflyer.com/ has a listing of well qualified Mooney specific CFIIs including Mike Elliott who travels to ferry planes and do transition training out of FL and Don Kaye who is based in Northern CA. Both are active on MooneySpace.

• Like 1

Where are you in Alaska? What kind of Mooney are you looking at?  And what do you want to do with the plane?   

I'm not a CFI (or CFII), but Alaska is on my bucket list of trips.  That said, I'm not sure I would want to take my plane into airports like PAGY or PAHN.  The AFD has great statements like:  APCH TO RWY 20 IN NARROW CANYON.  DEPG RY 02 REQUIRES A HIGH PERFORMANCE CLIMB DUE TO TERRAIN. ARPT CONDITION NOT MONITORED, ARPT MAINT ON IREG BASIS, RECOMMEND VISUAL INSPECTION PRIOR TO USING. RCMD DALGT OPNS ONLY.  RAMP IS UNEVEN WITH SOME HAZARDOUS FROST HEAVES. NARROW APCH FM NW, MTNS BOTH SIDES; TURBC ON NW APCH, BLUFF NW

I believe a friend of mine based in Anchorage has a Mooney and a rv -6 ...I also recall he is a cfi...pm me and I will forward a phone # if he approves..If you purchase ,the trench route is probably best for your experience level

13 hours ago, chrisk said:

Where are you in Alaska? What kind of Mooney are you looking at?  And what do you want to do with the plane?   

I'm not a CFI (or CFII), but Alaska is on my bucket list of trips.  That said, I'm not sure I would want to take my plane into airports like PAGY or PAHN.  The AFD has great statements like:  APCH TO RWY 20 IN NARROW CANYON.  DEPG RY 02 REQUIRES A HIGH PERFORMANCE CLIMB DUE TO TERRAIN. ARPT CONDITION NOT MONITORED, ARPT MAINT ON IREG BASIS, RECOMMEND VISUAL INSPECTION PRIOR TO USING. RCMD DALGT OPNS ONLY.  RAMP IS UNEVEN WITH SOME HAZARDOUS FROST HEAVES. NARROW APCH FM NW, MTNS BOTH SIDES; TURBC ON NW APCH, BLUFF NW

Interior Alaska, nothing like that. PAFA

Most of the bigger communities have paved runways. Point to point travel is why I wanted my own plane. I have seen a three or four mooney's in Fairbanks but have yet to catch up with the owners on the ramp. Most guys up here like to hunt or fish off airport, but that doesn't interest me much, I prefer taking the family in the boat. Typical routes in state are 150-350nm plus one hour reserve, not like the lower 48 with gas available everywhere. Gas prices can be around $8 a gallon, compared to a 182 the fuel savings alone are significant. Looking at the older C's or E's. I prefer the manual flaps and gear.

Edited by alaskan9974
  • Like 1

There is/was a C model sitting around Junea when there a couple of summers ago. 

You could also set up transition training here and spend a couple days and then fly it back.   Once you get the landings down the rest is push and go.   It took me 3 hours of flying it home and then another day of 7 landings and some air work to get to an acceptable level of "you are safe"  It took another 75 hours to feel like I had mastered things.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2017 at 11:54 AM, chrisk said:

I flew out of Juneau in a cherokee 6 for a summer while I was still young (30) and was trying to pursue a flying career.  So I have been to those airports Haines and Skagway.  Haines is easy, nothing to worry about there.  Skagway was a little more challenging, a lot of tailwind takeoff and landings.  When departing RWY 02, we called it the "Rock 1 departure" as you would takeoff and turn toward the mountain, till you started getting nervous and made the left turn out southbound.  Landing RWY 2 was never an issue but you had to make sure you didn't screw up the landing as go around would require you to fly up the mountain valley to gain altitude.  Landing RWY 20 was also a little trickier as you had to be closer than most of our used to flying next to mountains.  Would enter in a right downwind, there was a bowl off to the left and turn into that to make the base to final a little less aggressive.  It was bumpy a lot.  Rumor had it that the interior guys thought us Southeast AK guys were nuts and flying in dangerous conditions and us SE guys thought the interior guys were nuts.  To each is own.  

• Like 1