Landing Gear Biscuits M20J

n201kf

The biscuits are generally good for 5 - 7 years on the short bodies and 3 years on the long bodies. You don't go by years though on when to replace. There are procedures in the Maintenance Manual for taking measurements to determine if the biscuits need to be replaced. Once the biscuits wear out they aren't absorbing anything on landing which can lead to future fuel tank leaks.

Just did mine on nose wheel (mains had been done by prior owner)not difficult but factory tools a must as well as need for at leat one "bullet"to aline bolt holes...the factory service manual does not provide key infomation nor techniques...but I found an old mooney mechanic that let me in on the secret..good luck..kpc

Can anyone out there tell me if it is absolutely necessary to replace ALL the landing gear biscuits at one time? Or is it reasonable to replace, the 3 nose gear biscuits and 2 on each main? Since they are now $90.00 each, complete replacement becomes expensive for what is essentially rubber donouts. Currently the bisucuits are only slightly out of tolerance.

I did mine on the mains after 20 years and 2,200 hours (only 3 years after I bought the plane).  First priority was a prop O/H and Garmin 430.  Next year will do the nose gear as well as O/H the gear actuator.  Man are these planes expensive!

Quote: n201kf

Can anyone out there tell me if it is absolutely necessary to replace ALL the landing gear biscuits at one time? Or is it reasonable to replace, the 3 nose gear biscuits and 2 on each main? Since they are now $90.00 each, complete replacement becomes expensive for what is essentially rubber donouts. Currently the bisucuits are only slightly out of tolerance.

Welcome n201kf,

Please check out the following thread as it has lots of info on it about why they need to be changed on time. It's important to change the nose biscuits because bad biscuits can result in bad behavior you'd not expect. The mains needs to be changed because bad ones can cuse your tank to leak. Check out the following link:

http://www.mooneyspace.com/index.cfm?mainaction=posts&forumid=2&threadid=1773