Incredibly Rewarding, yet Humbling Experience

That's fantastic! I've become much more accustomed to taking up a bunch of ingrates who's parents signed them up but in reality they'd rather be back home on their ass playing video games or out dating.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 201er said:

That's fantastic! I've become much more accustomed to taking up a bunch of ingrates who's parents signed them up but in reality they'd rather be back home on their ass playing video games or out dating.

about half the angel flight missions I've run it's about the same. usually they're annoyed it isn't a better airplane like they see in the movies.

Thanks for sharing that experience. It helps remind me not to forget what a privilege being able to fly is. When we can share the experience of flying we need to do it. I love the smiles on the faces. You brightened the day for those kids. 

• Like 2

It is these small gestures of kindness and integrity that bind our General Aviation community together.  With few exceptions most pilots would bend over backwards to help another, selflessly as you did. Congrats to you. I know it feels good to you, but the memory for those kids will last a lifetime.

• Like 5

I bet they all truely enjoyed the experience!..None of those kids have cell phones or video games in their pockets ,so you had their total respect and attention...all the fundamentalist children I have met have been this way...hats off to you

• Like 2

On May 13, 2017 at 10:23 AM, 201er said:

Nothing wrong with dating.  Without it most of us would be single, unless your marriage was arranged.

Clarence

On 5/14/2017 at 4:33 PM, mooneygirl said:

It is these small gestures of kindness and integrity that bind our General Aviation community together.  With few exceptions most pilots would bend over backwards to help another, selflessly as you did. Congrats to you. I know it feels good to you, but the memory for those kids will last a lifetime.

I agree with Jolie:  

I have had a similar opportunity to Yooper's and the personal feeling I get during and after is worth every inconvenience I could ever receive.  One of the moments I live for is watching the kid's face (the one in front) when you ask them if they want to fly the airplane.  All the briefings done.  Passage of control in the cockpit all briefed. Out of the pattern.  Already in the practice area.  

They won't actually be in control, but they don't know that.  

The look on their faces when they think they are going to actually do the flying is priceless.  

Makes my day.

Well done, Yooper.  You not only inspired those kids, but you may also have inspired some of us.  :)

• Like 2

What better way to date then, by joining the mile high club in a Mooney.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I lived in Denver my neighbors across the street told me their father (wife's) used to own a Mooney. She said he loved his plane. He had lost his medical from heart problems about 10 years prior and hadn't flown sense. 

He came to visit one day and they interoduced him to me and said I had a Mooney. I asked him if he wanted to go for a ride and he gladly accepted. The next morning we met at the airport and after preflighting the plane I showed him the door and asked if he wanted the left seat! His eyes got big as saucers and he jumped right in. I said "why don't you fly me to Leadville?" And handed him a sectional. He said Ok, put on my headsets like he had flown yesterday and started it right up. He flew the plane expertly including all the radio calls. 

When we got to Leadville he got the certificate, we got some lunch in town and he flew me back. 

He was a crotchety old guy and my neighbor said that he was never happy, but for the rest of his stay she couldn't pry the smile off of his face.  He died one month later of the heart condition that grounded him. So, the only thing better than giving someone their first Mooney ride is giving someone their last Mooney ride.

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, Ned Gravel said:

I agree with Jolie:  

I have had a similar opportunity to Yooper's and the personal feeling I get during and after is worth every inconvenience I could ever receive.  One of the moments I live for is watching the kid's face (the one in front) when you ask them if they want to fly the airplane.  All the briefings done.  Passage of control in the cockpit all briefed. Out of the pattern.  Already in the practice area.  

They won't actually be in control, but they don't know that.  

The look on their faces when they think they are going to actually do the flying is priceless.  

Makes my day.

Well done, Yooper.  You not only inspired those kids, but you may also have inspired some of us.  :)

This past Saturday I flew out to Tillsonburg in my RV4 with a few other planes from Kitchener.  There was a family at another table enjoying breakfast while watching Harvards and a T28 flying.  I asked the son (7 year old) if he'd ever flown in a little airplane, "No" was the reply.  Would you like to go?   "No".

I told him if he changed his mind I would take him after I finished my breakfast.  In the end he decided to go after some discussion with his parents.  I strapped him in the back and took him for a flight down to Lake Erie and around Tillsonburg.  He seemed to have had fun and enjoyed it.  Impromtu flights are as much fun as anything organized.

Clarence