What Got You Started In Aviation?

Was it any one person that inspired me to learn to fly or was it a series of things?  Well I think it was a series of things that lead me to flying.

I guess the first time I was introduced to any type of flying was many years ago watching a friend of mine with his dad and a family friend build and fly radio controlled airplanes.  Around the same time I can remember looking to the sky and seeing the Blue angels perform, albeit 15 miles away, all I could see were several small dots climbing higher and higher into the sky.  Later we moved and when the Blue Angels performed they were practically in my back yard.  Every year I’d ride my bike to the Navy air base to watch the air show awe struck by the different types of military and civilian aircraft on display and doing flight demonstrations.    

When I was in the 7th grade (1977) one of my friends, well more of an acquaintance I guess, told me about the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) and I went to either the 2nd or 3rd meeting of the 926th composite squadron CAP in Louisiana, they were just starting the squadron, and joined up not really knowing what I was getting into.  We learned about military discipline, drill, leadership and aerospace.  Now I was truly interested aerospace.  I enjoyed learning about how and why airplanes fly.  Much of the information was just learned by memory with marginal understanding at that time.  True understanding of the material would come years later.

Then came that wonderful Saturday when we went to New Orleans Lakefront Airport for an orientation flight in a Cessna.  I it was a Cessna Cardinal.  This was my very first time to fly in anything.  I remember rolling down runway 09 faster and faster until we were off the ground.  Colonel William (Bill) Ruffin, USAF/CAP was the pilot.  He was a wonderful man who flew B-17s during WWII.  During the flight each of us had the opportunity to take the controls of the airplane.  We each made several turns to the left and to the right.  Col. Ruffin told me than I had the plane on its side i.e. very step turn (90 degrees) to the right.  Later in that year of 1978 we were at a week long summer encampment at Barksdale AFB in Shreveport LA and I was being silly and ended up breaking my right arm.  This was an unfortunate event but it did lead to my first flight with George Sartis, Lt. Colonel CAP in his Mooney 201.  It was then I first realized the experience of going cross country in a small plane on an IFR flight plan and how much time it could save you.  This took a 10 hour ride in an old 1953 Air Force school bus down to a 2 hour flight.  I missed a great opportunity at the time I could have earned my pilot license just for the cost of fuel.  Oh the missed opportunities of life.

Well after a few years I was in high school working a part time job and more interested in girls and I left the Civil Air Patrol.  Fast forward 5 years to 1986 while in college and at a cross roads in my life of what to do in college and this led me to the AFROTC and I decided I wanted to become a pilot in the USAF and fly F-15s.   I had forgotten about my love of flying I had years earlier and while talking with the guidance counselors at the university the dream was awakened.   I made the decision then to get my private license on my own to help my chances of getting a pilot slot.  The USAF did not give me a pilot slot and this was devastating having your dream interrupted but I still had my private license.  I flew until about 1995 renting airplanes flying around town never really going anywhere and that also was the year my son was born.  I set aside flying for 15 years.  I went back to flying in January of 2010 got current, went all in and by the summer bought my own plane a 1964 M20E.  I went on and earned my instrument rating so that we could make more trips between New Orleans and Orlando to visit my daughter, son-in-law and grandson.

So who inspired me to become a pilot let’s see: 

My friends dad building and flying model airplanes, my 7th grade friend who by chance mentioned CAP to me, a guidance counselor at the university trying to help a young man find his way to a useful life, a retired USAF Col and WWII veteran who dedicated many hours and shared his passion of flying with many young impressionable kids, a broken arm, a geographic move closer to a military air base.  Can I decide on any one, no?

There were a number of people and events who inspired me to learn to fly and get my pilot license and I’m thankful for everyone. 

Oh yes there are three more people who endured my ever-changing interests who maybe questioned but always supported me in my adventures my mom and dad and my wife.

• Like 3

My father tells me I would tell him I wanted to fly as far back a 4 yrs old--I'll take his word for it, but it feels right.  It was a done deal in high school, though--my school had an aviation program with ground school AND flight training in a C-152 (right across the lake from LASAR as it happens).  I was able to knock out the PPL and start in on the Comm/Inst before graduation.   The USAF happened later and I had some great flight experiences there, but that 152 was still the first.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sonic said:

My father tells me I would tell him I wanted to fly as far back a 4 yrs old--I'll take his word for it, but it feels right.  It was a done deal in high school, though--my school had an aviation program with ground school AND flight training in a C-152 (right across the lake from LASAR as it happens).  I was able to knock out the PPL and start in on the Comm/Inst before graduation.   The USAF happened later and I had some great flight experiences there, but that 152 was still the first.

Was that at Lower Lake high school was John W your instructor out at Pierce field

• Like 1

Yep, back in the mid-80's.  I assume you spent some time around there or knew John W?  It's too bad Pierce closed since I visit family occasionally, but at least Lampson isn't too far away.

As a little guy I loved sky king and wanted to fly ever since.

Having poor eyesight in one eye I figured it would never happen, joining the  Marines in the mid 60's, the dream faded.

I was teaching an Accounting course at university, some 15 years later, had a student who missed a class, he told me his plane broke and couldn't make it. I told him I'd love to fly but couldn't due to my vision. He said only one bad eye you can fly my dads an CFI I said that's not nice to call pop that, he said that's a flight instructor would you like to fly one day with him, I was pumped. He's still a great friend, client flys a Lear in the day, is also a CFI, small world of pilots.

Two days later in February a 15* day I was in a Cherokee warrior and fell in love that day for the second time. Went for physical the next week, kinda cheated on the eye test and I was off into the air.  Later that year I fessed up to myself, got a ride with the local FISDO, acquired a SODA for those crummy eyes, here we are.

Being an accountant after a week of lesions I bought a warrior from now a great friend on the field. A year later bought my first real plane from Henry Weber, a 1977 J, got my IFR in the J, the rest is history.

• Like 1

I don't remember the first time I flew, but I was a young pup.  My grandpa had an Ercoupe before I was born.  I do remember flying in that thing now and then, but man was it amazing when he upgraded to a Cherokee 140.  We ruled the world in that thing.  I flew all over Arizona and southern California with him.

He was a professional hockey player in his younger days and unfortunately all the hits finally caught up with him.  Concussion induced dementia.  We knew he was going a little wonky, but not quite how bad until he landed on a taxiway 3 times at 3 different airports in one flight.  My grandmother refused to fly with him anymore and he never flew again.  This was back 10 years ago or so.  He sold his Piper to a guy out in California.  

I had a ton of Cox models when I was a kid.  Built a model of my Grandpa's cherokee out of balsa (still have it!), then I got into RC.  Flew up to 1/4 scale acro and even all of that just wasn't enough.  I always wanted to get my own PPL, but just could never swing it.  Hell, a few years ago I was seriously considering buying one of those build it yourself scale WWI kits and just tooling around in that... I'm finally at a point in my life where I could make it happen and I did.  

Attached are a couple pics of my grandpa in his ercoupe, with his Cherokee, and one with me as "PIC" in the Cherokee sometime in the 80's. IIRC.

Jr Pilot_zpsvj31oubp.jpg

CHEROKEE TOM FRONT 2_zpsslvtdjtz.jpg

Ccpmti0020_zpstht90y0b.jpg

• Like 5

I grew up a USAF brat surrounded by pilots and airplanes.  My family history had me wanting to fly for as long as I can remember.

Great Grandfather WWI  

Founding member of the CAP

377556_2215411780294_1901860815_n.jpg

Grand Father WWII / Korea U.S.M.C

392209_2215433300832_1216444056_n.jpg

Uncle VTANG

1395170_10201113905265247_489530599_n.jpg

Father USAF

329124_2215052691317_379219722_o.jpg

• Like 9

That is an interesting Question, I guess I was just born to fly. Growing up no one in my family flew, or even had an interest in aviation, but I always loved watching the planes fly overhead. when I was old enough to drive I started hanging out at the local airport 20 miles away. I would catch a flight when I could but that wasn't very often. I joined the Navy right out of high school and went into the aviation field, a few years later I went to engineer school and started flying the P-3 Orion as a flight engineer. 

While I was in the Navy I obtained my A&P Licence, I used that to work weekends and evenings at a local airport to save money so that I could get my pilots licence (I realized the Navy wouldn't let me fly for ever on their dime). 

Brian

• Like 2

To annoy parents, I bought a Ducati and took a flying lesson. Promptly crashed the Ducati. Never did bang up any of the 140s I took my lessons in. What keeps me going is liberal guilt about having any money in my checking account. Strangely enough I feel more in touch with the proletariat owning an aircraft.

Edited by AndyFromCB
  • Like 1

Dad loved to build scale models.  He was an artist and would do aviation themes.  Planes were "in the house" growing up.  Many trips to Oshkosh reinforced the experience (sight/sound/feel) of aviation.  First flight was as a 7 year old.  It didn't last long.  Dr. Glass burner lost both mags shortly after take-off.  Landing was uneventful.  I had fun.  Dad did not. :)

Next door neighbor Jean Waite had a 182 Skylane Turbo.  Many trips to Chetek and Hayward Wisconsin to hang with my best friend.  He slept in back seat.  I was co-pilot and enjoying EVERYTHING.

In laws purchased cottages in Northern Wisconsin.  With a work relocation to Iowa cottages were now 6-7 hours (depending on traffic) away.  A good sales job to banker (wife) and private pilot pursuit was initiated.  The rest is history that continues to be written...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

I lived near Biggin Hill airport in Kent.  One day my father was driving with me past Biggin as a Spitfire roared over our heads, dipped into the valley, pulled up into a barrel Roll and flew back.  "Daddy what plane is that?," "thats a Spitfire darling", "i want to be a spitfire pilot when i grow up".    I was 6.

I was hooked, i wanted to be a spitfire pilot till i was 11 and someone told me they didnt fly Spitfires anymore.  I then wanted to be a fighter pilot, i worked hard for that dream, saved all my money and got a PPL, then politics took over and i realised the RAF didnt accept people who were "different", so my dream collapsed, i cried my heart out.   I kept my PPL current and rented when i could.   I worked hard at the corporate game and climbed to the top of the tree to the point i could afford my own plane.  I never went commercial, i am in two minds whether i should have, one says yes it would have been fun, the other says all my commercial mates are bored and think it is "just a job".

I SO wanted to fly fast jets, and still do.  Ill never get the chance now.  Perhaps a mooney is the next best thing.  

I will fly a spitfire before i die though, that is so on my bucket list.

Am so glad that the next generation can be " different" and still fly though.  Jealous of that.

Andrew

"Different" is a strength and beautiful thing.  World is starting to wake-up to that.  I hope you achieve your bucket-list goal/dream. I am rooting for you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JC252MB said:

Pretty much this, or jail.

Not my finest hour but I did both, in 1978 I got a DWI, no hard time, just the night in the crossbar motel, I pretty much  quit fly shortly after that, after getting life out of the way I started flying again in 2007, after getting my medical the Feds sent me a letter basically saying if I didn't get a grip on my drinking they (FAA) would force me to take an alcohol/substance program. Two more letters from Oklahoma followed, 2nd letter was for blood in my urine, 3rd was for loosing consciousness, both issues caused by 2 seperate dirt bike accidents. All three of these were at least 29 years earlier, do the Feds cover their ass or what? Oh and for the record I quit drinking and dirt bikes a long time ago

• Like 2

I had an uncle whose father had an old J3 Cub sitting in the barn.  He used to tell me about how his father would just take off and land it in his cow pasture.  Went to space camp, watched Hot Shots! and all the awesomely bad Iron Eagle movies from the 80s a million times.  My dad bought me a discovery flight when I was in high school and shortly after that I got a full time job where 100% of my paycheck went to my PPL.  I worked 16hr days for about a year to pay for it.  I talked to my uncle again about the Cub but sadly the frame had rotted out over the years and was useless so they got rid of it.  Now I'm trying to find something to buy for myself and get my IR...

• Like 3

Air Force brat,grew up on base with 2 other sisters and a brother...dad had a Aeronica Sedan (ac-15) on straight floats in summer,skis come winter ...never on wheels.I helped out during the gear swaps and dad flew us to summer camp,fishing trips,clamming and king crabbing while stationed Anchorage Alaska.I just kinda bonded with the utility of light plane avation.

• Like 1