Marauder's Avionics Emporium

With all that real estate you could have had the big boy GTN and EDM.

With the Aspens and now with the L-3 all displaying information, the GTN already is playing a lesser role. Add in the new FlightStream 510 feeding the iPad, the 650 is more of a database tool than an active participant.

If I didn't center mount the JPI 900, I might have gone with a larger 930 or an EI unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marauder said:

With the Aspens and now with the L-3 all displaying information, the GTN already is playing a lessor role. Add in the new FlightStream 510 feeding the iPad, the 650 is more of a database tool than an active participant.

If I didn't center mount the JPI 900, I might have gone with a larger 930 or an EI unit.

I like the 510 and updating data files to the GTN from my phone. And Garmin Pilot puts the traffic info on a tablet for Nancy to obsess on. Real Jazz from XM Radio on the 696, all good.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2017 at 5:34 PM, Marauder said:

And in case you're wondering...

829562585044c8fe0a07ac4f85e1ac69.jpg

Wow, Where is the "LOVE This" button, "Like This" just doesn't seem to get it somehow... 

• Like 1

I REALLY like the panel but I have to say ideally the shop doing the panel should have centered the pfd, moved the L3 above the T&B, moved the stec control up and put the JPI below it. 

'Is it possible to mount the Aspen above the yoke or is there interference?

10 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I REALLY like the panel but I have to say ideally the shop doing the panel should have centered the pfd, moved the L3 above the T&B, moved the stec control up and put the JPI below it. 

I would imagine they did it like this per Chris' request. I see your point but I think the Aspens display the most useful, pertinent information to him, therefore he chose to have them centered around the yoke, directly in front if his field of view. @Marauder can you clarify?

• Like 1

I would imagine they did it like this per Chris' request. I see your point but I think the Aspens display the most useful, pertinent information to him, therefore he chose to have them centered around the yoke, directly in front if his field of view. [mention=9886]Marauder[/mention] can you clarify?

Indeed it was done based on personal preference. I have flown with this configuration since late 2012. One thing to keep in mind is if you need reversion, your backup AI (the MFD) will be even further right.

If you want to see an extreme of this, take a look at a G1000 panel and locate the backup AI. I think Danb told me his backup AI is all the way on the right side. Even the G500 setups are usually offset to the left as well. My setup is a compromise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Indeed it was done based on personal preference. I have flown with this configuration since late 2012. One thing to keep in mind is if you need reversion, your backup AI (the MFD) will be even further right.

If you want to see an extreme of this, take a look at a G1000 panel and locate the backup AI. I think Danb told me his backup AI is all the way on the right side. Even the G500 setups are usually offset to the left as well. My setup is a compromise.

I agree about keeping the panel a similar layout to what it has been the last 5 years. I really like the color/texture you used for it and where you allocated the funds to be spent. 

• Like 2

Really nice. So I assume you are fully electric now. No more vacuum. On the right side, it looks as if a GTN 750 could fit nicely...:-)

Yep, completely electric. No 750 for me! I'm about to be thrown out of the house as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

Yep, completely electric. No 750 for me! I'm about to be thrown out of the house as it is.

Nice, I would like to go the same route with my MOoney. I feel that the vacuum system is not such a good back up. The times I had issues was with the old vacuum (my vacuum pump died over Cuba) and not with the Aspen...

Oscar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

A third Aspen would have made it much easier to centre them all.  They were on sale recently.

Clarence

A third Aspen would have made it much easier to centre them all.  They were on sale recently.
Clarence

Send me some money Clarence. I'll put one in immediately. Sounds like Oscar could use some money as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M20Doc said:

Granted I'm only installing a single panel, but even if money were not object, I just don't see the value/purpose/etc in the third Aspen panel.

I'd be interested in the opinion of someone who's using all three.

• Like 1

Clarence

I also think the third Aspen offer is only available to new owners. I don't existing Aspen owners can't take advantage of these offers.

Just now, Marauder said:

Send me some money Clarence. I'll put one in immediately. Sounds like Oscar could use some money as well. emoji23.png

I'd love to but with the current exchange rate you'd only get the knobs from Aspen.

Clarence

A client of mine who has the single Aspen just did the upgrade to the triple.  The sale was extended to him as a current Aspen owner, they even through in synthetic vision.  It should be out flying tomorrow.

Clarence

2 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Granted I'm only installing a single panel, but even if money were not object, I just don't see the value/purpose/etc in the third Aspen panel.

I'd be interested in the opinion of someone who's using all three.

In the case of a panel with extra room, it fills the void.  They were offering a pair at $10K to existing owners.

Clarence