Marauder's Avionics Emporium

Granted I'm only installing a single panel, but even if money were not object, I just don't see the value/purpose/etc in the third Aspen panel.
I'd be interested in the opinion of someone who's using all three.

I think the third panel is strictly an EFD 500. I'm not sure they offer an Aspen 3000. The advantage of the third screen is really around weather maps and IAP charts. With an iPad available, the need IMHO is not as beneficial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Wow..I know I haven't been on the forum as regular lately, but I never saw this coming. Looks great! Very clean and great choices.

Looks like the folding bikes did not put you in the poor house or dog house for to long. Very nice :)

-Tom

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marauder said:

Send me some money Clarence. I'll put one in immediately. Sounds like Oscar could use some money as well. emoji23.png

Yeah, would be great to go all electrical... but for the time being my budget for upgrades is close to zero. I like your set up a lot. I went a different route by installing a GTN 750 and 650 instead of a second and third ASPEN panel. In hindsight I believe that your set up has more functionality than mine. What I really like (and you can not see it) is the integration provided by the Flightstream 510. The fact that you can use your IPAD as an additional displays gives you flexibility and functionalities that we could have never dreamt off when I started using with a first GPS in 1993. Also, an additional advantage is the relatively speaking low cost of upgrading your IPAD.

I was wondering, what's next? Any ideas... beyond just getting rid of the pilot? HUD? 

Oscar

Yeah, would be great to go all electrical... but for the time being my budget for upgrades is close to zero. I like your set up a lot. I went a different route by installing a GTN 750 and 650 instead of a second and third ASPEN panel. In hindsight I believe that your set up has more functionality than mine. What I really like (and you can not see it) is the integration provided by the Flightstream 510. The fact that you can use your IPAD as an additional displays gives you flexibility and functionalities that we could have never dreamt off when I started using with a first GPS in 1993. Also, an additional advantage is the relatively speaking low cost of upgrading your IPAD.
I was wondering, what's next? Any ideas... beyond just getting rid of the pilot? HUD? 
Oscar

It has been an interesting journey. If you told me in 2010 I would at some point be flying behind an all electric panel, I would have thought you were nuts. I still recall how excited I was when I was able to get the STS LORAN-C working in my plane.

Time will tell where all this heads. I just hope we can keep enough kids interested in aviation that there is a tomorrow for GA. Very discouraging when I sit in these FAA seminars and I fit in with the rest of the Jurassic Park crew attending.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Chris are you going to go with a backup alternator on the vacuum pad?  Standby battery? 

At this point no. I have done an electrical load calculation and color coded my breakers to know which ones to pull to stretch the capacity. The Aspens each have a nominal 30 minutes capacity (they last close to an hour during my testing of them) as well as the ability to maintain the GPS flight plan. The new ESI-500 also has an hour minimum capacity. My JPI draws less than 1/2 amp running.

So, in theory, I could shed everything except the JPI, the Aspens and the ESI. Running the Aspen and ESI in series, I could have attitude information for at least 2 hours, an active flight plan and the charts on the iPad for an approach. The GTN would be running through all this as well.

Not any worse when I flew back in the 90s with a portable GPS sans AI information and a panel of 1970s vintage Nav/Com technologies.

• Like 3

At this point no. I have done an electrical load calculation and color coded my breakers to know which ones to pull to stretch the capacity. The Aspens each have a nominal 30 minutes capacity (they last close to an hour during my testing of them) as well as the ability to maintain the GPS flight plan. The new ESI-500 also has an hour minimum capacity. My JPI draws less than 1/2 amp running.

So, in theory, I could shed everything except the JPI, the Aspens and the ESI. Running the Aspen and ESI in series, I could have attitude information for at least 2 hours, an active flight plan and the charts on the iPad for an approach. The GTN would be running through all this as well.

Not any worse when I flew back in the 90s with a portable GPS sans AI information and a panel of 1970s vintage Nav/Com technologies.

Like everybody else I'm green with envy but I do have an honest question. Speaking hypothetically here, if one were to steal your plane, how would they determine the function of that long row of switches/buttons/lights across the top of your panel? I imagine you have plans for labeling each of those in the near future? Heaven forbid that the potential thief might accidentally flip the self-destruct or ejection-seat switch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Like everybody else I'm green with envy but I do have an honest question. Speaking hypothetically here, if one were to steal your plane, how would they determine the function of that long row of switches/buttons/lights across the top of your panel? I imagine you have plans for labeling each of those in the near future? Heaven forbid that the potential thief might accidentally flip the self-destruct or ejection-seat switch!

Very observant. You missed one other critical detail. There is no glareshield as well! This was taken before the final labeling was done and for insurance purposes.

I'll post additional pictures when I bring here home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cnoe said:

That is his secret security policy.

It has been an interesting journey. If you told me in 2010 I would at some point be flying behind an all electric panel, I would have thought you were nuts. I still recall how excited I was when I was able to get the STS LORAN-C working in my plane.

Time will tell where all this heads. I just hope we can keep enough kids interested in aviation that there is a tomorrow for GA. Very discouraging when I sit in these FAA seminars and I fit in with the rest of the Jurassic Park crew attending.

Marauder what you are saying is key! We need to bring the young kids on board. Of my 4 sons only the youngest one, Fausto who is 6, is really into flying. The other ones see flying as a mean of transportation.

This Saturday I am taking a bunch of boy scouts flying out of Gaithersburg. So they (and their parents) see what flying is all about.

Oscar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Marauder said:

I have the same feelings. I never thought I would need seven displays and six gps sources in one plane! I would often ask "how many screens do you need?" when talking about glass panels...........

this is what mine looks like right now.

IMG_0808.jpg

• Like 1

I have the same feelings. I never thought I would need seven displays and six gps sources in one plane! I would often ask "how many screens do you need?" when talking about glass panels...........
IMG_0808.thumb.jpg.7a4820886b650a38770b481904bec4b7.jpg

Oh the humanity of it all. So many wires!

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Oh the humanity of it all. So many wires! emoji30.png

And they're all white, it explains the magnifying goggles on the yoke.

Clarence

MS ideas for spending other MSers hard earned cash....

1) That fancy JPI could probably handle the presentation of the TIT data quite awesomely.

2) All one would need to do is have TIT data to port over...  :)

3) Hmmmm, where would one get some good TIT data from if they were flying around in an awesomely updated M20F...?

4) Since the third Aspen idea fell to the wayside, there is more room in the budget. As opposed to less room in the budget...

5) Since a new cowl front may be on the horizon, make sure the plumbing all fits prior to commitment.

6) I'm not sure what a farkle is, but you might want two just for potential WnB issues..?

PP thoughts only, but I'm full up of some really awesome ideas when spending OPM...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

Marauder:
Very clean install and offering good functionality.  The L3 units are a nice addition.  
..You forgot the TIT gauge though and all the hardware necessary to make it work...:huh:
John Breda

You keep tempting me!

Thought I would share some first impressions (and I mean first impressions) of the new ADS-B hardware. For those with the Aspen setup, the L-3 9000+ is a great addition. I literally was just taking off and turning crosswind when I got a traffic alert from a guy entering the extended downwind without talking!

The L-3 will display on both the Aspen, PFD and MFD, the L-3 display and on the GTN. Here is a shot of traffic data on the Aspens:

21f9add5bbf3564f7ecbb0a81022231d.jpg

A little while later, I got a traffic alert and took this shot (I had passed by him and he made a turn towards me. He was slower but I already had visually seen him). This is the traffic being shown on the L-3 display and the GTN.

3c6d9544d36717a30a24d080aeb55cef.jpg

I will do more write-ups on the traffic and weather on a later post.

The Flightstream 510 is a pretty neat piece of hardware. When you pair it with the WiFi, it will do a database comparison and automatically update.

a3e4e3b90a6c89f9f257d7356e20c74a.jpg

Once it completes that, it switches to Bluetooth and then allow you to manage the flight plans between your iPad and the GTN.

79614a43bf72fb49bb718f395f8832ad.jpg
a19435239920980ff51ec91b4e26496a.jpg

And in honor of Stinky Pants, I am going to do an ADS-B checkout flight by flying completely around Philly.

b6e4b0700b1cf4c5ca9d0f7d43b20f78.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2017 at 5:38 PM, Marauder said:

You keep tempting me!

Honestly might as well...whats left? That beautiful aircraft just needs more MP in the flight levels to go with that amazing panel!!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/16/2017 at 6:53 PM, Cruiser said:

IMG_0808.jpg

the "new" look

N99MS panel.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cruiser said:

the "new" look

N99MS panel.jpg

Can I spend some more of your money? Ditch the mechanical AI & the vacuum pump by sticking in an L-3 ESI 500 (maybe a G-5 if it ever gets certified as a backup) and install a WX-500 and have that data sent over to your Aspens and Avidynes. Love the work done.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

Can I spend some more of your money? Ditch the mechanical AI & the vacuum pump by sticking in an L-3 ESI 500 (maybe a G-5 if it ever gets certified as a backup) and install a WX-500 and have that data sent over to your Aspens and Avidynes. Love the work done.

And while you are in there, swap the JPI 830 for a 900 and lose the soon-to-break gauges.

You are right, @Marauder, spending OPM is fun!

• Like 1