Instrument Rating

10 hours ago, flight2000 said:

Should have included a link to the Gila Static Cling window tinting I used.  Fairly easy to apply once you get over the first window learning curve.... :rolleyes:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GILA-36-in-W-x-78-in-L-Black-Privacy-Control-Static-Cling-Window-Film/1065343

No reason to think it won't work on the Mooney's windows.

Brian

I did the same thing on my plane. I did the entire back windows but I only put a strip across the top of the front windows. It is just above eye level so it helps with the sun coming in but doesn't get in the way of my scan. I don't have sun visors so I also put a strip across the top of the windshield where the visors would be (kind of like the tinted strip across the top of your car windshield). I'll have to take a picture of it the next time I'm out there, but that won't be until Friday.

It's easy to put on. I cut out a section a little bigger than the window. From the outside put the tint against the window with the paper side out (that is the way it will go on from the inside). You can hold it against the window and with your hand run your fingernail along the edge which will leave enough of a mark to use scissors to trim it out. Put it back up and see if there any places you need to trim more. Clean the windows well. Use a spray bottle with some water and a little dish soap in it. Lightly spray the window and you will be able to slide the tint around. (You could by the actual application stuff, but the CB in me wouldn't allow it.) Smooth out the bubbles (I used a plastic application thing that came with a tablet screen protector that I still had laying around.)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I did the same thing on my plane. I did the entire back windows but I only put a strip across the top of the front windows. It is just above eye level so it helps with the sun coming in but doesn't get in the way of my scan. I don't have sun visors so I also put a strip across the top of the windshield where the visors would be (kind of like the tinted strip across the top of your car windshield). I'll have to take a picture of it the next time I'm out there, but that won't be until Friday.

It's easy to put on. I cut out a section a little bigger than the window. From the outside put the tint against the window with the paper side out (that is the way it will go on from the inside). You can hold it against the window and with your hand run your fingernail along the edge which will leave enough of a mark to use scissors to trim it out. Put it back up and see if there any places you need to trim more. Clean the windows well. Use a spray bottle with some water and a little dish soap in it. Lightly spray the window and you will be able to slide the tint around. (You could by the actual application stuff, but the CB in me wouldn't allow it.) Smooth out the bubbles (I used a plastic application thing that came with a tablet screen protector that I still had laying around.)

thanks for the tip. I'll probably give it a shot.

Congrats on the IRating. I'm still plugging along with it. Still trying to get the new avionics to play nice and also make sense to me at the same time. It has slowed my pace, but I look forward to getting mine as well..The puzzle is slowly making sense..working approaches weekly with a buddy that is Commercial rated. My regular CFI is getting ready to retire fully (mild stroke two weeks ago) so I'll be in search of a new one. Ready to earn the IFR so I can work on the next.

The tint makes big difference in the heat. Not hard to do and well worth it. Just take your time. Using 35% is the best to keep safe visibility and still get the job done.

Well done and congrats again :)

-Tom

Paint job.jpg

• Like 1

Gila has several static cling tint qualities.  The red box just tints, but the purple box has claims that there is something in it that actually blocks heat, not just sun rays.. I'm not sure about the claim, but my 20% from the purple box makes a massive difference.

Holy cow.  I went the Pilito route and found some pull down window shades at walley world.   They were on sale for $3.00   They also had a cling sheet.   The pull downs have suction cups and stay on pretty well.   The cling sheet is awesome and wife loved it. Adjustable and moveable

So, do you guys use the Gila cling tint or the other?  I think Richard referenced Lowes tint, which seems to be different than what Browncbr references.  Tom, that looks great on your plane. I agree, darker than 35% is probably too much, especially in the front. I'm still kicking myself for going with clear glass.  Even in the Northeast it gets really hot in the sun.

51 minutes ago, takair said:

So, do you guys use the Gila cling tint or the other?  I think Richard referenced Lowes tint, which seems to be different than what Browncbr references.  Tom, that looks great on your plane. I agree, darker than 35% is probably too much, especially in the front. I'm still kicking myself for going with clear glass.  Even in the Northeast it gets really hot in the sun.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread again. The stuff I got from Lowe's was the Gila brand. 

10 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread again. The stuff I got from Lowe's was the Gila brand. 

Sorry as well. So, this was the stuff for home Windows and is permanent vs the "cling" style?

8 minutes ago, takair said:

Sorry as well. So, this was the stuff for home Windows and is permanent vs the "cling" style?

No, it's not permanent, just the cling style. I think this is the stuff I got.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/GILA-36-in-W-x-78-in-L-Smoke-Tinted-Glare-Control-Static-Cling-Window-Film/1095827

I know I didn't get the darker privacy stuff because I was concerned that flying at night it would affect my visibility too much. The box is out at the hangar but when I get out there Friday I'll see what exactly I used. Also think I might just do a write up of it on my blog and will post that too. 

• Like 1

The purple box gila tint is available at advanced auto parts. I got 20% on the back windows and nothing on front windows. Yea, as others suggested. 35% up front and 20% on the rear would probably be good. I have pull down suction cup shades also, but I don't use them because it's too difficult to see through them. I have not applied my film with soapy water as others have suggested.. I'm thinking about doing it though because I am sure it will improve visibility and look. If I do that, I'll put the 20% upfront and report back. Cheers to thread drift!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

The Lucky Strike, my M20c, is getting an IFR GPS along with its ADSB transponder.  If I have any cash left over after that I'll start the IR.  I think it irresponsible of me to fly a fast airplane like a Mooney in the East without.

While in Guatemala I explained (in my best Spanish, which isn't much) that where I lived was either too hot or too cold, had horrible weather, and was utterly flat with no mountains and no water.  Consequently no Latinos wanted to live there.

1 hour ago, steingar said:

The Lucky Strike, my M20c, is getting an IFR GPS along with its ADSB transponder.  If I have any cash left over after that I'll start the IR.  I think it irresponsible of me to fly a fast airplane like a Mooney in the East without.

While in Guatemala I explained (in my best Spanish, which isn't much) that where I lived was either too hot or too cold, had horrible weather, and was utterly flat with no mountains and no water.  Consequently no Latinos wanted to live there.

You must live in a different part of Columbus than I used to . . . . Sure, it's flat and windy and the weather often sucks.  B)

I flew my Mooney out of the pointy southern end of Ohio for 3 years [KHTW] before I knuckled down and went IFR. My biggest problems in Ohio were ice-laden clouds in Jan & Feb; other than that, my serious "VFR not recommended" issues were all trying to clear the mountains in E. KY and W. NC headed south or southeast.

32 minutes ago, Hank said:

You must live in a different part of Columbus than I used to . . . . Sure, it's flat and windy and the weather often sucks.  B)

I flew my Mooney out of the pointy southern end of Ohio for 3 years [KHTW] before I knuckled down and went IFR. My biggest problems in Ohio were ice-laden clouds in Jan & Feb; other than that, my serious "VFR not recommended" issues were all trying to clear the mountains in E. KY and W. NC headed south or southeast.

I've been flying for 16 VFR, which is getting tiresome say the least.  So I WANT the IR.  Got a plane that can do it, too.  And yes, I live in the same part of the one-horse-town you did.  What I didn't tell the Guatemalans was that I've seen places ruined by folks moving in, where I am will stay the way it is for a long, long time because no one wants to move here.  And I can't tell you how fine that is with me.  The traffic won't get so much worse, we won't get smog or other pollution, and no one is going to move next door to my airport and demand its closure.  I'm good with all that.  And the Guatemalans can have their rocks, they make weather and eat airplanes.

did my rears today with the gila 20% cling tint from autozone. Second one is really good, the first one I made some mistakes. It's of course a lot lighter from inside the plane. One box did both rear windows easily. Another would do the fronts but I'm not sure I want to do those.

IMG_20170607_130837.jpg

IMG_20170607_125328.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, peevee said:

did my rears today with the gila 20% cling tint from autozone. Second one is really good, the first one I made some mistakes. It's of course a lot lighter from inside the plane. One box did both rear windows easily. Another would do the fronts but I'm not sure I want to do those.

I did my rear windows last week with 35%, which is lighter than the 20% you used.  Came out ok.  I did notice that there is a very slight distortion to vision that I have not seen in regular tint.  I don't think it is from application error, as it is smooth, with no bubbles.  Have you and others using the cling on tint noticed this?  I am hesitant to do the fronts because of this.  Also, I wonder if they have a slightly lighter tint for the front...have not seen any.  Feels like it may cut night vision a little too much.

14 minutes ago, Danb said:

PV is that allowed, its a great idea, how well is the view when search for other planes

Haven't flown it yet. Won't for a week probably. It's not really any darker than my car. Just looks dark when everything is closed up 

3 hours ago, peevee said:

I didn't want to do the whole front windows but I did about a 2" strip across the top of the windows and I also did one across the top of the windshield. I need to redo the strip across the top of the front windows so that it is a straighter cut, but they help. The one across the top of the windshield made a big difference on how much sun baked you on our last flight. It doesn't affect my view out at all but really helps on the sun shining on your face.

IMAG9095.thumb.jpg.c78bddc93745a63c2c1481f5959a7056.jpg

You can see the strip across the window as well as the windshield. (Funny, just noticed the light on the tail of the plane behind me looks like a weird collision light on top of my plane...)

IMAG9102.thumb.jpg.737e1be3871cd82a5c306510f5319541.jpg

IMAG9137.thumb.jpg.2c11e9d942e444f3693c2d423f1fa861.jpg

Really rough cut, I was just trying it out to see how it would do. I am going to make it about another 1/2" bigger and use a nice straight edge for a smooth cut now that I know I like it.

IMAG9101.thumb.jpg.a4ab7f793d014dfb6eb181301687e901.jpg

IMAG9129.thumb.jpg.1a7a798d264d8ce6556daec81293d40b.jpg

Here's the edge of the one on the windshield, you can see how far down it comes.

IMAG9127.jpg

Peevee and Skates looks great. I have a couple questions: as someone asked earlier is tinting our windows allowed? and being in contact with our plexi windows and heat from the sun I wonder if it chemically reacts somehow that would negatively affect the plexi? Making it hazy? Not an issue in a car on glass windows but maybe an issue on plexi. You know how some plastics react with other plastics when in contact? We recently did our deck in pvc decking and one of the care instructions from the manufacturer is to avoid plastic or rubber mats on it because it can make it change color over time. I was just wondering.

Something to consider....

PVC decks with PVC mats can share the PVC's plasticizer that will bleed the PVC's pigments...

Being too similar is definitely a challenge. Acrylic windows and whatever the dark film is made of and it's glue would need to be considered.  Probably has some instructions to carefully follow including things to avoid...

PP thoughts, but I visited a PVC compounding facility once...

Best regards,

-a-