First time owner of a Mooney M20E

Go to the main office next to the restaurant.  They will show you what is available on the airport and can give you the paperwork you will need to fill out.  I was transferring my plane from KFFZ so they held the spot for me.  The price for a covered tie down is $101.00 per month.  You do need to watch a 10 minute video and take an exam so you can drive on the airport.  It is a really easy process.  Like me know if you need any info or help with anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ragedracer1977 said:

On the sign up deal I've seen on the website for DVT it asks for your registration and says you're required to have temp registration at least.  So, I'm not sure if I can start the ball rolling now or not.

Give them the registration of the Mooney and tell them it's in progress :-)

On 5/12/2017 at 11:37 AM, Saurus said:

Figured I would introduce myself since I have been trolling these boards for the better part of 6 months.  My name is Matt and I closed on a 1965 Mooney M20E this week and will be picking it up this evening.  Suffice to say, I am pretty excited about it.  I will be flying it home to Deer Valley-Phoenix, AZ this evening from Chandler, AZ, where it has been based the last ~20 years. I have only briefly flown the airplane when I first started looking at it over a month ago.  I am looking forward to more time in it and becoming an active participant on this forum.  I have often heard that Mooneys have a "cult-like following" and it is safe to say that I am all-in.  

I see you bought Kelly's airplane. He told me about it last week. I have a few hours in that airplane over the last 15 years. If you need Mooney specific training, let me know. I currently own a K model and have owned a C, F & M model Mooney in the past. I have about 1,000 hours in Mooneys and have CFI, CFII, MEI & ATP.

• Like 4

On 5/12/2017 at 1:37 PM, Saurus said:

I have often heard that Mooneys have a "cult-like following" and it is safe to say that I am all-in.  

Yep, we resemble that remark :D

That has got to be one superbly maintained E. Great deal and good luck, you will love it.

On 5/14/2017 at 3:47 PM, Kyoshiskip said:

Go to the main office next to the restaurant.  They will show you what is available on the airport and can give you the paperwork you will need to fill out.  I was transferring my plane from KFFZ so they held the spot for me.  The price for a covered tie down is $101.00 per month.  You do need to watch a 10 minute video and take an exam so you can drive on the airport.  It is a really easy process.  Like me know if you need any info or help with anything.

Yep!  You will talk to Kim.  She is easy-going and will help you out with a spot, if you have one in mind.

21 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

I see you bought Kelly's airplane. He told me about it last week. I have a few hours in that airplane over the last 15 years. If you need Mooney specific training, let me know. I currently own a K model and have owned a C, F & M model Mooney in the past. I have about 1,000 hours in Mooneys and have CFI, CFII, MEI & ATP.

Yes, Kelly is a nice guy and has been very helpful throughout the process.  I am enjoying the airplane.  I appreciate the offer to help me get my instruction for the insurance.  I am currently lined up for this Saturday and I think that will get me very close, if not all of it.  2.4 hours to go :)

21 hours ago, HRM said:

Yep, we resemble that remark :D

That has got to be one superbly maintained E. Great deal and good luck, you will love it.

Thank you!

Edited by Saurus

On 5/13/2017 at 8:11 AM, rbridges said:

another welcome to Mooneyspace!  great looking plane.  

Thank you!

On 5/14/2017 at 2:27 PM, Kyoshiskip said:

I have a Mooney M20E based at Deer Valley as well. I am in the covered tie downs next to the Phoenix Police closest to taxiway C. It sounds like the four of us should touch base sometime. By the way, I met the previous owner of your airplane. He was very knowledgeable and took good care of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was at DVT today so I drove down to your end and saw your plane!  Great looking E!  I agree, we should all meet at some point.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saurus said:

Thank you!

I was at DVT today so I drove down to your end and saw your plane!  Great looking E!  I agree, we should all meet at some point.  

I was there too.  They didn't let me in though.  :ph34r:

I talked to the guys at the desk about getting a tiedown.  They said down by the washrack close to C was the best area, and available.  They wouldn't let me 'get' one yet though, since I don't own a plane just yet.

18 minutes ago, Saurus said:

Thank you!

Thanks, it is kind of hard to miss.  It has a few nice mods.  I plan on installing ADS-B later this year.  I am still in the research stage.

1 hour ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I was there too.  They didn't let me in though.  :ph34r:

I talked to the guys at the desk about getting a tiedown.  They said down by the washrack close to C was the best area, and available.  They wouldn't let me 'get' one yet though, since I don't own a plane just yet.

The guys at the desk set up a ride and took me around the field to show me the options and where some of the resources are.  They were very accommodating.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2017 at 8:02 AM, Saurus said:

I have a couple names.  My insurance requires me to fly 5 hours with a Mooney experienced (25 hours) CFI.  I flew with a guy that the previous owner recommended last night who is normally down at Chandler during the week.  I am flying with Doug from Aerodyne Flight Training at Scottsdale for the last ~4 hours I need.  He will come to DVT and has a lot of Mooney experience.  I also have the name for a few other guys I can send you.  

If you're in the shades, maybe try to find a spot near me?  Then we can meet and discuss Mooneys... :)

Good luck with your purchase!  

Got my spot nailed down.  West shades, row closest to the taxi way and closest to the parking lot.  Right in the middle.  Actually, right next to another Mooney (I missed the tail number, but I think it ended in LV).  I'm not technically signed up yet, since I don't have a bill of sale or registration, but I have permission to park there when I come into town with the plane on Saturday.  I'll just have to stop by Monday and watch the video and get my access card.  

I'll be roughly at the red dot.

Dumb question, probably, but do people typically push their plane into the spot or do you run it in under power, since the plane faces 'forward'? I've only ever parked in open tiedowns before.  Also, probably dumb, but what is the proper terminology when you tell the tower or ground where you're parking?  Do you call it west shades?  

c5fe6c0e-f191-459e-9c33-6bffdb9a09e7_zpsiudvrsnp.PNG

Edited by ragedracer1977
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I'll just have to stop by Monday and watch the video and get my access card.  

I'll be roughly at the red dot.

Dumb question, probably, but do people typically push their plane into the spot or do you run it in under power, since the plane faces 'forward'? I've only ever parked in open tiedowns before.  Also, probably dumb, but what is the proper terminology when you tell the tower or ground where you're parking?  Do you call it west shades?  

I'm planning on getting my access card this week as well for an open spot until I bubble up on the hangar list (been on since Feb).   When you get your access pass just ask them what to call that area on the radio.

I've only ever flown out of DVT once, in a buddy's Swift, so I have to figure this airport out, too.   Even in just that one flight I noticed a few things that are done differently.

8 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I'm planning on getting my access card this week as well for an open spot until I bubble up on the hangar list (been on since Feb).   When you get your access pass just ask them what to call that area on the radio.

I've only ever flown out of DVT once, in a buddy's Swift, so I have to figure this airport out, too.   Even in just that one flight I noticed a few things that are done differently.

I've done a lot of touch and goes and a couple taxi backs there, and that's it.  So, I'm pretty much in the same boat.

50 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I just say "North ramp public t-hangers" and we're done.

My hangar faces the perimeter fence and I just take a sharp turn up close to the fence so that I can push her in. Easy peasy.

Try to describe the drive through nature of your parking space...

If it is T shaped, there will be other planes restricting your movement.  When starting your plane, you don't want to blast things that are behind you...

Most likely, pulling it out to the center of the taxi-way when you are ready to go makes sense...

anything with a roof on it open to the outside will get a fair amount of nesting stuff.  Blowing a lot of air around with a prop may generate a nesting storm...

a lot of common sense will come to you when you stand in the space itself... :)

I always wanted to start my plane in the hangar and taxi out like a garage...  then I pictured knocking everything down and angry neighbors wielding pitchforks...

Best regards,

-a-

48 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I wouldn't want to drive through under power unless the space was about 60 ft wide and open on both ends. I don't believe I've ever seen anyone drive any airplane into a hangar.

Skip to 4:00.  Or enjoy the whole demo. :)

• Like 2

OK, maybe I haven't been clear.  It is NOT a hangar.  It's a covered tie down.  Let me try and draw a diagram.  

The planes are split nose to nose.  You 'pull' in forward instead of pushing it in backwards like in a hangar or at tiedowns.  Obviously, I would have to push it out to leave, as they don't have reverse.  The black rectangles are the posts that hold the the 'shades' up.  

So, would you always push it in by hand, or would you taxi it in under power?  

(and sorry, I'm NOT AN ARTIST, lol)

Drawing.jpeg

• Like 1

My exercise program is pushing and pulling the plane in and out of the hangar and around the ramp. What with climbing in and out of the front seat, I also get to skip yoga classes (but I don't wear those funny tight pants, either . . . for which my neighbors are thankful . . . . )

• Like 1