First time owner of a Mooney M20E

Hello, 

Figured I would introduce myself since I have been trolling these boards for the better part of 6 months.  My name is Matt and I closed on a 1965 Mooney M20E this week and will be picking it up this evening.  Suffice to say, I am pretty excited about it.  I will be flying it home to Deer Valley-Phoenix, AZ this evening from Chandler, AZ, where it has been based the last ~20 years.

I have only briefly flown the airplane when I first started looking at it over a month ago.  I am looking forward to more time in it and becoming an active participant on this forum.  I have often heard that Mooneys have a "cult-like following" and it is safe to say that I am all-in.  

I recently parted ways with a 1971 C-150, which was named the Metallic-Cat.  My wife and I have horses and we have gravitated to cutting horse names for the airplanes.  Still trying to come up with one for the Mooney. 

A few questions:

1.  Is joining MAPA a good idea?    

2.  I would like to update the panel in the next 12-18 months.  It is IFR certified, but only for VOR/ILS.  It has an outdated/no longer supported Apollo M3 GPS...I would honestly be happy with a G430W and ADS-B.  Any ideas on what avionics route is most budget friendly, but still has room left to be supported for the next 15+ years?  (I realize "budget" and "avionics" should not be used in the same sentence)

Thanks!

Matt

Mooney.jpg

Edited by Saurus
  • Like 6

Congrats Matt. Looks like a nice one and I think it's been discussed on another thread.  Hope you have loads of fun and good luck as for a name how about Sea Biscuit

Had to look up WTH a cutting horse was... never mind

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome aboard!  Congrats on the new plane.  As far as updating, IMHO just fly the plane for now, don't do anything until you're very comfortable with her, then decide what works and what doesn't, take your time and replace what you want.

• Like 1

Congratulations!  I too am a new (to me) Mooney owner.

a good friend of mine is a long time cutting horse guy and close friend of Terry Bradshaw, another cutting horse guy.

if you are going to a 430/530 make sure it is a W and see what transponder you have.  With the right transponder and a WAAS GPS, it will be relatively easy to have ADS-B out.

welcome to the fold.  Maybe you should try to make the California Fly in on the 20th.

9 hours ago, bonal said:

Congrats Matt. Looks like a nice one and I think it's been discussed on another thread.  Hope you have loads of fun and good luck as for a name how about Sea Biscuit

Had to look up WTH a cutting horse was... never mind

Haha!  It's kind of a sleeper sport, but pretty neat to watch a well trained horse go to work.  Thank you!

9 hours ago, Yetti said:

You will not be able to wipe the smile off your face.  They really are jet fighter like. (not that I have ever flown jet fighter, but if I could it would fly like a mooney)

Got her home tonight and I think you are spot on.  Responsive and quick!  I am addicted.

8 hours ago, Roger O said:

Welcome aboard!  Congrats on the new plane.  As far as updating, IMHO just fly the plane for now, don't do anything until you're very comfortable with her, then decide what works and what doesn't, take your time and replace what you want.

Agreed.  Sound advice, thank you!

8 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

Congratulations!  I too am a new (to me) Mooney owner.

a good friend of mine is a long time cutting horse guy and close friend of Terry Bradshaw, another cutting horse guy.

if you are going to a 430/530 make sure it is a W and see what transponder you have.  With the right transponder and a WAAS GPS, it will be relatively easy to have ADS-B out.

welcome to the fold.  Maybe you should try to make the California Fly in on the 20th.

The Terry Bradshaw?  I didn't know that!  I like that guy even more now!  I like the idea of the 20th, but I am tied up that weekend.  

Thank you!

Just now, Saurus said:

Thanks everyone!  Got her home to Deer Valley tonight.  I am hooked and I am sure I will be enjoying this plane for a long time to come!

When I'm finally able to close on an M20, that's where I'll be basing it.  Do you have a hangar lined up?  It looks like the small T wait list isn't too bad, but I'll probably be in the shades for 6+ months.  

Oh, and FYI, I eyeballed that plane pretty hard.  :)

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Saurus,

MAPA is a great way to pick up some information regarding the Mooney world. Get a subscription then decide if you want to keep it up.

MAPA is the resource for the Mooney World's premier training.  The kind that is challenging and personalized to meet your needs.

You get to meet some pretty interesting mooney people this way.

MAPA training is a great way to learn approach procedures in your new to You plane.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

8 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

When I'm finally able to close on an M20, that's where I'll be basing it.  Do you have a hangar lined up?  It looks like the small T wait list isn't too bad, but I'll probably be in the shades for 6+ months.  

Oh, and FYI, I eyeballed that plane pretty hard.  :)

I do not have a hangar.  I am in the southwest sunshades right now, first row closest to C taxiway.  A hangar does look tempting, but I am not sure I can swing it for another 12-18 months, or more.   I saw you were looking and even discussed my airplane in another thread.  Good luck on your search!  I am sure you will also find a nice one because you are taking your time to find the right plane. :) 

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard Saurus,

MAPA is a great way to pick up some information regarding the Mooney world. Get a subscription then decide if you want to keep it up.

MAPA is the resource for the Mooney World's premier training.  The kind that is challenging and personalized to meet your needs.

You get to meet some pretty interesting mooney people this way.

MAPA training is a great way to learn approach procedures in your new to You plane.

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you!  I think I will be joining MAPA for at least a year.

5 hours ago, N252WD said:

Welcome and congrats

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

and just like a cutting horse you can drop the yoke and do the work with your legs.  squeezing with the knees not so much but the feet can do just fine once they are all trimmed out.

Haha!  In that case, my wife might be able to fly it better than me.  She's the cutter.  I lope them and feed them as I am instructed to do so. :) 

38 minutes ago, Saurus said:

I do not have a hangar.  I am in the southwest sunshades right now, first row closest to C taxiway.  A hangar does look tempting, but I am not sure I can swing it for another 12-18 months, or more.   I saw you were looking and even discussed my airplane in another thread.  Good luck on your search!  I am sure you will also find a nice one because you are taking your time to find the right plane. :) 

Cool! I'll sure we'll end up running into each other some day.

Did you use someone local to check out in your Mooney?  Insurance is going to require 10 hours for me with a CFI.  My regular guy has never flown a Mooney.  

9 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Cool! I'll sure we'll end up running into each other some day.

Did you use someone local to check out in your Mooney?  Insurance is going to require 10 hours for me with a CFI.  My regular guy has never flown a Mooney.  

I have a couple names.  My insurance requires me to fly 5 hours with a Mooney experienced (25 hours) CFI.  I flew with a guy that the previous owner recommended last night who is normally down at Chandler during the week.  I am flying with Doug from Aerodyne Flight Training at Scottsdale for the last ~4 hours I need.  He will come to DVT and has a lot of Mooney experience.  I also have the name for a few other guys I can send you.  

If you're in the shades, maybe try to find a spot near me?  Then we can meet and discuss Mooneys... :)

Good luck with your purchase!  

10 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Well, that'll be three.   I've been in the middle of an extended acquisition that is still dragging on, but I've been on the Deer Valley hangar list since February.   Small chance it might wind up at Scottsdale, but we'll see.

Matt - when you get some time with the plane, post a picture of the panel. A few of us have some experience updating vintage panels and can make recommendations on a path forward. The level of investment should take into consideration intended length of ownership. You don't want to upgrade for the next owner but there are upgrades that will enhance your utility of the plane without bankrupting you in the process.

Welcome to Mooney ownership.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Matt - when you get some time with the plane, post a picture of the panel. A few of us have some experience updating vintage panels and can make recommendations on a path forward. The level of investment should take into consideration intended length of ownership. You don't want to upgrade for the next owner but there are upgrades that will enhance your utility of the plane without bankrupting you in the process.

Welcome to Mooney ownership.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

B26, has anyone actually taken our advice? Just wondering.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

B26, has anyone actually taken our advice? Just wondering.

Sure they have Bob. The reason we never hear back from them is because they are all in debtor's prison from all the money they spent on their avionics. 

• Like 4

I have a Mooney M20E based at Deer Valley as well. I am in the covered tie downs next to the Phoenix Police closest to taxiway C. It sounds like the four of us should touch base sometime. By the way, I met the previous owner of your airplane. He was very knowledgeable and took good care of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2