G5 is now certified as HSI

11 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

Don't know if this question was already asked, but does it take AP inputs (or output to the AP) whichever is the way it is supposed to communicate with the AP?

Very good question.   It is useless to me if it does not communicate with my STEC-30 AP..  

Don't know if this question was already asked, but does it take AP inputs (or output to the AP) whichever is the way it is supposed to communicate with the AP?

No, it does not. Useless for those looking to upgrade and have an autopilot. It can also only receive input from a few Garmin boxes, and none of the old stuff. I'm hopeful that the capability will be extended in time...

I'd love two of these but need a heading bug and autopilot compatibility with my STEC 30. As soon as that is allowed I'm a buyer.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, peevee said:

Morbid curiosity, if you have a g5 hsi and ai and the ai fails can the hsi run revisionary and display the ai?

Just use ForeFlight. My freight dog friend did a leg the other day IMC using nothing but his IPad just to see if it can be done. He said it was easier then using the ships instruments.

7 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Just use ForeFlight. My freight dog friend did a leg the other day IMC using nothing but his IPad just to see if it can be done. He said it was easier then using the ships instruments.

All I need to do is replace our Aspen mfd500 with a mfd1k and I can run revisionary and have a backup ahrs. Why the previous owner out in a 500 I'll never know

Folks are hoping it will interface with analog autopilots via GAD-43/e.  I'm hoping they will activate the RS-232 out  for the digital autopilot retrofits that are in the works. 

I personally am going to put a single G5 in as an AI at annual and wait until Oshkosh to see what Garmin has to offer. 

Best case scenario- Garmin  GPSS box with two inputs - both digital - so I can use the heading select on the G5 HSI with my analog autopilot AND ability to configure the RS-232 to give heading error for the true track AP in the future.  

Fallback for me will be either a G5 with a sandel  in a stepwise fashion or an Aspen.... 

I thought there was some rumor that they would make these work with autopilots by the time Oshkosh rolls around. Im dead set on the Aspen VFR PFD w/ACU unless Garmin can make two G5's work with my Century IIb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, tigers2007 said:

I thought there was some rumor that they would make these work with autopilots by the time Oshkosh rolls around. Im dead set on the Aspen VFR PFD w/ACU unless Garmin can make two G5's work with my Century IIb.

Once they get the stc worked out to be a backup I'd consider it also

39 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I don't think the G5 will ever pair with the older AP. However, they might certify the Garmin experimental system which would be a great upgrade path for those without working AP's. 

Or for those with older autopilots built by BK who may be in process of being handed a bad deal to keep their systems up and running.

So is the sin/cos  method  related to  the term "rate based" autopilot?  ( I believe STEC 20/30 and Brittan  are example of rated based Auto pilots)  or is sin/cos the result of actual position versus calculate position from that I would suspect as an output from  HSI / Altimeter   ?  or I am way off ????

where as commercial airliner use "attitude  based" auto pilot so I am told.

The sin/cos is related to the resolver output of the vor needle function.  Rate based autopilots use rate of turn info from the T/C to give input to the autopilot. The plane actually has to turn a slight amount to respond. Attitude-based autopilots have a roll and a heading input. More deluxe  versions also have a pitch input, vor needle deflection input, course, and heading input as well.  Airliners use a platform output from the IRS or INS. It's a pitch and bank reference. 

I think this will be an exciting Oshkosh 17' in terms of avionics announcements.

I would install some kind of new autopilot if BK really does plan to leave us high and dry with an extortion-level maintenance plan and if there is some exciting new AP coming down the pike.

-G5 attitude and hsi with some kind of garmin digital autopilot to match driven by these G5.  PS please add svt to G5.

-G3X with digital autopilot certified for us (this is what I really want).

-Dynon Skyview with autopilot for us.

-Avidyne DFC900 - I would take that too even if it will be more expensive.

I can see the day of replacing the vacuum AI and electric DG with two G5s...and an A/P interface to my B/K KFC-150...all for well under $10k.  Bye bye to the vacuum system, much better reliability of primary instruments, reversion capability for the AI, and a smoother (?) A/P.  Oh wait...if my A/P craps out....it's gonna be how much to fix it???   Damn....B/K just ruined my dream!

Just now, "Chocks" said:

What is the benefit of those gauges over a single Aspen PFD that does all those things and actually interfaces with the AP , etc

Is the cost comparable including installation?

1 hour ago, "Chocks" said:

What is the benefit of those gauges over a single Aspen PFD that does all those things and actually interfaces with the AP , etc

Latest and greatest tech, dual AHRS, reversion, dual 4 hour batteries and it's from Garmin.

Aspen is older technology. Hopefully they can come out with something new as well. Let me rephrase...they have to bring out something new. Their survival depends on it!

• Like 2