G5 is now certified as HSI

Is the cost comparable including installation?

Dual G5 installation TODAY is cheaper most likely since it cannot talk to anything except a few Garmin boxes and no autopilots. The Aspen can be connected to just about anything, and these connections take a lot of time, so installation labor increases. 2 G5's sitting on a shelf are cheaper than a single Aspen sitting on a shelf too.

I suspect Garmin is working on a magic conversion box that will connect to the G5 via their canbus system (simple hookup) and then old stuff and autopilots can connect to the box. At least that is what I'm hoping. If/when such a box is available, I suspect the cost and labor will make a dual G5 installation closer to a single Aspen installation, but will offer some redundancy.

Dreaming ahead further...maybe their autopilot can digitally connect to them in the future, which drastically reduces the number of wires.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

does it work as HSI with KNS80 or KX155

The G5 does not. It will only talk to GNS series GPS or newer, and some of their latest nav/com boxes. A very small list. Perhaps their way of nudging us into more upgrades...

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk