Remember the post about whether the 201 for $30,000 was a GEM?

Yesterday there was a post on here where a new member was asking whether $30,000 for a 900TT J model that had been out of annual since 2007 was a good deal. This airplane was not advertised and it was a deal he stumbled upon. He concealed the N-number obviously not wanting anyone else to mess up his deal. All that is fine - we all want a great deal, but then he mentioned how the owner is in the hospital in the last stages of cancer. The more I thought about this the more I thought how the person in the hospital could be one of us and it sounded like he was trying to steal it from the family at a time when properly determining the value of an airplane was the last thing on their mind.

Last night I took at shot in the dark and replied with what I thought was the N-number to the airplane (N201FA). It could also be N201CA, but I think it's N201FA. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N201FA

To my surprise when I looked today the post was completely removed - I must have struck a nerve.  Out of the blue a few minutes later I got a PM from the one who posted:

5914bf7eefbb6_ScreenShot2017-05-11at2_42_41PM.thumb.png.4156a53aacde67f92d45988c013ba0f5.png

I'm not interested in this airplane. My only point to this post is that the free market should determine the value of this airplane for the family.

If others here are in the market for a 201 project I would suggest checking out the registration (http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?omni=Home-N-Number&nNumberTxt=N201FA). Then going to whitepages.com (http://www.whitepages.com/name/Richard-H-Sherman/Milford-DE/1iu4mqu) and see if you can reach the family to look at it. The more people that look at it the better the family's chances of getting a fair offer. It may only be worth $30,000 but if it was your family disposing of your airplane you'd want them to have a few offers to consider. 

Full disclosure: I bought the airplane I fly now from a widow. It had been advertised for months though and many people had looked at it. She was treated with the kindness and fair treatment that I would want someone to treat my family. 

I realize this is none of my concern but we are all watching out for each other.

• Like 10

Good for you!  This kind of behind the back "steal it before the next guy figures it out" stuff is just wrong.  As you said, ultimately the selling family is the one who will get hurt.  If there is nothing to hide, then open it up for discussion by everyone.  This forum really is a family, and we should all remember that.

• Like 3

In general , Estates and or terminal patients , are not trying to squeeze every penny out of a dime , They are trying to liquidate assets so their family's don't have to deal with these things... I have purchased from estates and terminal patients in the past ....My suggestion , is if you are not going to purchase the aircraft , do not get involved... 

• Like 9

On 5/13/2017 at 3:33 PM, Alan Fox said:

In general , Estates and or terminal patients , are not trying to squeeze every penny out of a dime , They are trying to liquidate assets so their family's don't have to deal with these things... I have purchased from estates and terminal patients in the past ....My suggestion , is if you are not going to purchase the aircraft , do not get involved... 

On the contrary, I'd appreciate someone helping me to avoid having someone prey upon me when i'm unable to defend.  

• Like 6

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:33 AM, Alan Fox said:

My suggestion , is if you are not going to purchase the aircraft , do not get involved... 

There's a legitimate need for vulture capitalism.

There's also a legitimate need to keep vulture capitalism in check. 

No one should be discouraged from trying to protect widows and the like.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Disagree Alan.  Having jist had to clear my late fathers estate, i would want all the help i could get.  The vultures that circled over his assets while we were sorting everything out were VERY real and very cruel.  Antique clocks that we knew had value we were told had little to none by some, while Sothebys said in the 4-5k range.  So i belive we should offer advice and help.  If that makes the buyers job slightly harder or more expensive then im sorry, but out of the kindness of my heart i would want 1. That they get a fair price, 2. That pilot knows his love is going to a good home where she will be treated with lots of TLC.

Andrew

ps has anyone sent this Info to Richard of Mooney aircraft sales or whatever his company is called, so he can give a fair price appraisal?

Richard Simile is now in AZ and still selling Mooneys including new ones. Jimmy Garrison in San Antonio probably does more with older Mooneys. http://www.allamericanaircraft.com/Default.htm