A&P vs. Repair station

An A&P can overhaul and sign off just about everything except propellers IF he has the proper manuals AND the proper test equipment- and if his liability insurance policy covers him to do so.

Usually, when working on someone else's airplane, it is far more cost effective to farm out things like accessory overhauls to a shop that does a lot of them and just pass along the expense to the owner.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RLCarter said:

if I'm not mistaken a repair station can reset the clock where an A&P can not

My Pre-Takeoff Checklist includes "Clock--WIND and SET" but I'm no Repair Station . . . . 

Andy summed it up quite well, mechanics (A&P's and A&P's with IA's) can do everything except for Major Repairs and Major Alterations to Propellers and any form of Repair or Alteration to Instruments. Only a authorized Repairman at a Licensed Repair station can do the latter.

There are differences in documentation too. Primarily a Repair station doesn't need to put the details of work done in your log books but can reference their work order for the details unlike a mechanic, plus the repair station has to maintain those records for a period of time.

With respect to mechanics, the IA adds the the privileges for performing an Annual inspection and for returning to service a Major Repair or Major Alteration. An A&P can do the actual major alteration or major repair but its takes a IA to sign it off on a 337. Plus the IA can not delegate or supervise the Annual Inspection- the inspection must be done by the IA and not just supervised. Yet the A&P can complete and return to service a 100 hr inspection for those fly for hire ops requiring it. At a repair station, though, a licensed repairman many be performing annual inspections that do not have IA's following the documented procedures of the Repair Station.  

Then their are some nuances about some special authorizations for Canadian rated mechanics to perform the same work as a rated US A&P, but I recall not annual inspections.

• Like 2

Thanks.

So there is a manual for rebuilding a magneto.   I don't know that there is a manual or even an exploded parts diagram for say a gear actuator, maybe the motor.  How are those items handled.   Say the greasing of it.   I guess the SB does have an exploded view.  But I think the SB only has the right angle gear shown, not the emergency disconnect gears.