G600 and terrain update

Updated my G600, GTN750 and 650 in my M20J today.  Haven't updated since I bought last year due to being unable to fly while waiting on BasicMed.  That said, everything was fine except terrain on the G600 did not load.  I wasn't sure of the software version number on the G600 so I loaded the pre 7.00 version from Garmin.  If the G600 software version is greater than 7.00, then could that be the problem?  And if I go back to flygarmin and download the post 7.00 version, will that solve the problem?  Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, Jvancecpa said:

Updated my G600, GTN750 and 650 in my M20J today.  Haven't updated since I bought last year due to being unable to fly while waiting on BasicMed.  That said, everything was fine except terrain on the G600 did not load.  I wasn't sure of the software version number on the G600 so I loaded the pre 7.00 version from Garmin.  If the G600 software version is greater than 7.00, then could that be the problem?  And if I go back to flygarmin and download the post 7.00 version, will that solve the problem?  Thanks for the help.

That definitely is the problem.  Check to make sure you have the Garmin 8GB card and then down load the 7.00 version of terrain.  The terrain database is much larger in this version thus the reason for the larger card.   Early on Garmin traded the early cards for the later larger ones.  Now you may have to pay for the larger card.

Sounds like a nice panel. Software is likely it but just curious which terrain database arc second version was it on the G500, 4.9?? I made the mistake of accidentally downloading the 9 arc version on my G600 and it wouldn't work. The GTN units are arc 9 and the G500 should be arc 4.9. Hopefully the software issue was it if not check the arc second version....

Agree with Don.  Make sure you always get a fresh download when you do DB updates.  Spend the extra time and don't rush it.  Always format your card before you load new DBs to it.  Terrain is large...around 3+GB, so as Don said, use an 8GB card.

Loaded the "correct data" on the "correct card" and put it in the "correct G600" and presto...works great!  And yes, it is a large file.  Took well over an hour to load.  Thanks all for the help.

• Like 2